Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU financial aid question
Assuming I only take the capstone and cornerstone at tesu for 6 credits and my financial aid letter says I qualify for the full $6195 would I get the pay in half and than divide by the quarter so it would be like $700 in financial aid? The courses would be taken together starting July.Thanks in advance!!!
Is this for the Pell Grant? It should have mentioned 3 parts, Grants, Subsidized and Non-Subsidized. It should indicate how much you can use for each term. Could you explain the letter more? Which Financial aid is this?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I am basing off the financial aid estimate email I received. No interest in loans just the grants.
(04-07-2020, 07:18 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Is this for the Pell Grant? It should have mentioned 3 parts, Grants, Subsidized and Non-Subsidized.  It should indicate how much you can use for each term.  Could you explain the letter more? Which Financial aid is this?

I call them on the phone and they said it is a quarter system so four quarters. Assuming I transfer in 114 credits and take only the cornerstone and capstone, if I were to get the full 6200 it would be 6200/4= 1550 and then cut in half or being a part-time student so 750?
I would do that differently, I would take a course/term instead of both if you can wait on the graduation. Otherwise, yes, that would be the correct amount provided. Especially since you mentioned you were interested in doing a double major, you can do it if you wanted to entirely use alternative methods - for example, upper level with CooperSmith/Study.com.

So, if you want to take more courses and get your other area of study (double major), you can do so and take the cornerstone one term, then finish off the degree with the capstone the second term. This way, if you're not in a rush to graduate, you can get $3100 from aid, call them again and verify this will work if you want to do it this way...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-13-2020, 02:07 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I would do that differently, I would take a course/term instead of both if you can wait on the graduation.  Otherwise, yes, that would be the correct amount provided.  Especially since you mentioned you were interested in doing a double major, you can do it if you wanted to entirely use alternative methods - for example, upper level with CooperSmith/Study.com.

So, if you want to take more courses and get your other area of study (double major), you can do so and take the cornerstone one term, then finish off the degree with the capstone the second term.  This way, if you're not in a rush to graduate, you can get $3100 from aid, call them again and verify this will work if you want to do it this way...

The problem is TESU requires 6 credits for aid at least I thought that was the case. I thought that is what I heard when I was enrolled student there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

But that is why you can't take one course and then another because then it would be full price for both. Plus taking them both together means graduating faster.

From TESU website: " Students need to be enrolled for at least 6 credits per term in the terms awarded to be eligible for most federal
aid. Please note that to be eligible for federal aid you must be enrolled in online and/or Guided Study
courses (not PLAs, e-Packs, TECEPs, etc)."
(04-13-2020, 02:07 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I would do that differently, I would take a course/term instead of both if you can wait on the graduation.  Otherwise, yes, that would be the correct amount provided.  Especially since you mentioned you were interested in doing a double major, you can do it if you wanted to entirely use alternative methods - for example, upper level with CooperSmith/Study.com.

So, if you want to take more courses and get your other area of study (double major), you can do so and take the cornerstone one term, then finish off the degree with the capstone the second term.  This way, if you're not in a rush to graduate, you can get $3100 from aid, call them again and verify this will work if you want to do it this way...
That is not alot hmmm. That is 2800 plus the two courses (with study.com discount)  minus 750 is nothing really. What If i took the cornerstone, capstone, and two six credit courses to get the flat-rate tuition. That would wave the residency fee and would be 5300(graduation fee plus flat-rate)-1500(full-time student divide by four quarters  pell grant) so it would be like around 3800 that seem like a thousand less than the per credit plan but it would be two more courses.
(04-13-2020, 02:39 PM)maxxor6868 Wrote:

That is not alot hmmm. That is 2800 plus the two courses (with study.com discount)  minus 750 is nothing really. What If i took the cornerstone, capstone, and two six credit courses to get the flat-rate tuition. That would wave the residency fee and would be 5300(graduation fee plus flat-rate)-1500(full-time student divide by four quarters  pell grant) so it would be like around 3800 that seem like a thousand less than the per credit plan but it would be two more courses.

You would need 10 more credits. So basically 3 three credit courses. Also you need a 1 credit course. It is 16 credits to avoid the wavier (unless they changed it). The only 6 credit course is social psych. And since you need 1 more UL comp sci why not do that.

Just an idea: 
3 credit capstone
3 credit cornerstone
6 credit social psych (do it guided study so you don't have to deal with as many deadlines. I saw a post and someone recommended that)
3 credit UL comp sci
1 credit something else (choose from sci lab, pla, medical term or jane Austen)
(04-13-2020, 02:58 PM)natshar Wrote:

You would need 10 more credits. So basically 3 three credit courses. Also you need a 1 credit course. It is 16 credits to avoid the wavier (unless they changed it). The only 6 credit course is social psych. And since you need 1 more UL comp sci why not do that.

Just an idea: 
3 credit capstone
3 credit cornerstone
6 credit social psych (do it guided study so you don't have to deal with as many deadlines. I saw a post and someone recommended that)
3 credit UL comp sci
Thanks for the help!!! I might just do that when I enroll. That would give me the credit I need and also finish tesu ul requirement for my last comp sci. Plus I save the $150 from taking linear algebra and I probably be eligible for tuition reimbursement since I actually take classes at tesu.

(04-13-2020, 02:58 PM)natshar Wrote:

Just an idea: 
3 credit capstone
3 credit cornerstone
3 credit UL comp sci

So assuming I did the 16 credits and I got 6200 in pell grant (divide by 4 terms so it would be 1550 per term) the cost would $5000 + the $300 graduation fee + the 50 to apply so the 
cost minus the pell and no other scholarships would be $3800. That or do per credit and pay $4900 but only take the cornerstone and capstone. I will more than likely take the extra classes as I rather have more hw than have to pay an extra thousand dollars. Also, this way can probably help me with tuition reimbursement since I will be a full-time student. If I start the classes in July it would only be 3 months so I would save a thousand dollars and still make it for the December graduation assuming everything goes smoothly.
(04-13-2020, 01:36 PM)maxxor6868 Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 07:18 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Is this for the Pell Grant? It should have mentioned 3 parts, Grants, Subsidized and Non-Subsidized.  It should indicate how much you can use for each term.  Could you explain the letter more? Which Financial aid is this?

I call them on the phone and they said it is a quarter system so four quarters. Assuming I transfer in 114 credits and take only the cornerstone and capstone, if I were to get the full 6200 it would be 6200/4= 1550 and then cut in half or being a part-time student so 750?
Quarter system doesn't mean it's four quarters, since you aren't expected to take classes during the summer. Mine was divided in 3 at TESU, and at the quarter-system community college I attended
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 699 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,981 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Quick question about MAN-3760 & MAN-3730 jg_nuy 7 476 03-20-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 26 2,049 03-01-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 269 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP