Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU second BS confusion
I am two tests away from completing my BSBA in General Management, I would also like to pick up at BSAST in Technical Studies which I will then be two general ed courses and the capstone away from. Will they really make me do an additional 24 credits? I have over 150 semester hours completed. The quote below seems to say I will, I know I should be asking advising but I thought maybe someone else had a favorable experience.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Ellis

"Second Bachelor’s Degree
If you have earned a previous bachelor’s degree, and wish to pursue a second, you must complete a minimum of 24 additional credits in the area of study/core beyond the date your most recent bachelor’s degree was completed. You must also complete all the degree requirements indicated in the Thomas Edison State University Catalog.

If you have earned your first bachelor’s from the University, you must apply again for the second degree, however, your application fee is waived. Whether you earned your first bachelor’s degree at the University or at another institution, the application process still requires an academic evaluation of your transferred credit with room for at least 24 credits relative to your area of study. "
Yes, absolutely you will need to do another 24 credits. This is why I'm completing my BSAST first and my BSBA second.

EDIT: And your 24 credits will need to be all technical classes (in your core/AoS). You can't just complete another 24 credits of Gen. Ed.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
It doesn't matter how many credits you have overall, what's important is which credits you have. Just like the fact that you have 150cr, but they're not going to give you a BSBA just because you have a lot of credits - you have to take the specific credits required by the degree you're trying to earn. When you go for the BSAST, you have to get the credits they want for that degree as well, and they're particular about which ones they are.

And they are very specific about a second degree, there's no getting around the requirements.

You may want to switch the order and complete the BSAST first, and then go back to the BSBA. That's normally an easier second degree than the BSAST. If you do the BSAST second, you will have to take 24cr, and they are normally harder to find.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If he's only 2 tests away from the BSBA though, he may not have left himself enough room to maneuver.

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
Flelm Wrote:If he's only 2 tests away from the BSBA though, he may not have left himself enough room to maneuver.

I think he could probably retake the exams he had already taken, and just replace them with new exams. It doesn't say that they have to be unique (never before taken) credits, just that they have to be earned after conferral date. For example, after conferral of the BSAST, go through Saylor and take the 6 core business courses needed. Then sign up for Study.com and take some there. Take the rest at SL. He could get done really quickly doing that.

Also, can you get a degree at EC or COSC at the same time that you're getting a BSAST at TESU? Not sure if there are any rules against that or not, but that might be a better option. A BSBA at EC or COSC, and a BSAST at TESU.

Edited: Just found this at COSC: https://www.charteroak.edu/prospective/a...degree.cfm
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Also, I'm pretty sure the second 24cr must all be taken after the first bachelor's is awarded, so you can't use any of the credits you've already earned, even if they weren't used to fulfill the first one. You can't earn any of the 24cr until after the first degree is actually awarded. The other route would be double major, but you have to do the two majors within a single degree so you'd do a BSBA in Finance and CIS for example. The 24cr rule wouldn't apply. However, I recall someone saying that the General Management AOS can't be combined with anything else.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
The BSBA was easiest for me to do with the residency policy and now that it is complete I probably don't have any wiggle room. I have all of the technical components complete and there really are not any other sources for my particular field. Hmmm, too bad they won't allow the completion of two degrees simultaneously. I'll give them a call, or better yet send an email and get in writing.

Thanks,

Ellis
dfrecore Wrote:I think he could probably retake the exams he had already taken, and just replace them with new exams. It doesn't say that they have to be unique (never before taken) credits, just that they have to be earned after conferral date. For example, after conferral of the BSAST, go through Saylor and take the 6 core business courses needed. Then sign up for Study.com and take some there. Take the rest at SL. He could get done really quickly doing that.

That's an interesting idea. I never thought about doing that.

dfrecore Wrote:I think he could probably retake the exams he had already taken, and just replace them with new exams. It doesn't say that they have to be unique (never before taken) credits, just that they have to be earned after conferral date. For example, after conferral of the BSAST, go through Saylor and take the 6 core business courses needed. Then sign up for Study.com and take some there. Take the rest at SL. He could get done really quickly doing that.

Also, can you get a degree at EC or COSC at the same time that you're getting a BSAST at TESU? Not sure if there are any rules against that or not, but that might be a better option. A BSBA at EC or COSC, and a BSAST at TESU.

Edited: Just found this at COSC: https://www.charteroak.edu/prospective/a...degree.cfm

Hummm....so you don't think duplication will create an objection?
cookderosa Wrote:Hummm....so you don't think duplication will create an objection?
They would almost have to allow it. There are only so many AOS courses in most majors.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,999 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,671 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,128 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,666 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,744 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,362 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,606 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,337 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,394 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,871 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore