Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TESU without high school diploma
Does anyone know if TESU will accept a student with no high school diploma?
I know COSC will.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
TESU says:
You are eligible to become an undergraduate student at Thomas Edison State University if you are:

An adult 21 years of age or older (unless you are participating in a special college program)

A high school graduate or have successfully passed a General Educational Development (GED) test

Individuals not meeting this criteria, but who feel they warrant special consideration for other reasons may petition the director of Admissions and present appropriate documentation to support their being accepted to the University. Students admitted through special consideration are subject to the same academic policies and requirements as those admitted unconditionally.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Excelsior says:

The student must hold a high school diploma, or its equivalent, as certified by the Superintendent of Schools or a comparable chief school administrator; or hold a high school equivalency diploma; or have completed 24 semester hours of credit distributed as follows toward their Excelsior College degree program: 6 semester hours English language arts including writing, speaking, and reading (literature), 3 semester hours mathematics, 3 semester hours natural science, 3 semester hours social science, 3 semester hours humanities, and 6 semester hours in any other courses within the degree program; have previously earned and been granted a degree from an approved degree-granting institution of higher education or from a postsecondary institution authorized by the Board of Regents to confer degrees; from a degree-granting institution located in a jurisdiction outside the United States that is approved, authorized, or recognized by the jurisdiction’s ministry of education or other governmental agency responsible for higher education; or have passed five designated Regents examinations (English, mathematics, United States history and government, science, and global history and geography).
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
KayV Wrote:Excelsior says:

The student must hold a high school diploma, or its equivalent, as certified by the Superintendent of Schools or a comparable chief school administrator; or hold a high school equivalency diploma; or have completed 24 semester hours of credit distributed as follows toward their Excelsior College degree program: 6 semester hours English language arts including writing, speaking, and reading (literature), 3 semester hours mathematics, 3 semester hours natural science, 3 semester hours social science, 3 semester hours humanities, and 6 semester hours in any other courses within the degree program; have previously earned and been granted a degree from an approved degree-granting institution of higher education or from a postsecondary institution authorized by the Board of Regents to confer degrees; from a degree-granting institution located in a jurisdiction outside the United States that is approved, authorized, or recognized by the jurisdiction’s ministry of education or other governmental agency responsible for higher education; or have passed five designated Regents examinations (English, mathematics, United States history and government, science, and global history and geography).

Thanks, I did read that. I was just wondering if there was a "story" of someone going that path that did not come up in the search function. I have my CPIM certification which will go with the BSBA Operations Management and have taken proctored exams in the last week (Saylor for algebra 94% and calculus 82%; I've always been good at math) despite not graduating from high school. I just finished the TEEX, and Insurance Institute Ethics as a start. I'm not working at the moment and can afford to take off the next year and just concentrate on a degree as a personal challenge at 40 years old.

I figure I have one of two options: 1) Go get the GED, or 2) Apply for special consideration at one of the big three - preferably TESU.
ThadF Wrote:... or 2) Apply for special consideration at one of the big three - preferably TESU.

As alleycat said, at COSC you wouldn't need special consideration:

"The requirements for admission as a degree candidate are that the applicant:
•be sixteen years of age or older;
•has earned at least nine college-level credits...
NOTE: Students must have proof of a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent (e.g., G.E.D.) to be eligible to receive Title IV student financial aid."

However, since you prefer TESU, I suppose that since TESU states that they will grant special consideration, they will probably do so if you can make a case for yourself.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
I read this part of the TESU statement:

An adult 21 years of age or older (unless you are participating in a special college program)

and figured that if you were over 21, you were good to go.

Best wishes!
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
I read the statement, and wasn't sure if you had to be one or the other, or both. I hate when they are unclear. Say "OR" or "AND" between those so people can figure it out!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
FWIW they have never asked me anything about being a HS grad that I can remember, and I certainly never had to provide any "proof."
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
alzee Wrote:FWIW they have never asked me anything about being a HS grad that I can remember, and I certainly never had to provide any "proof."

I remember having to send my HS transcript to TESU.
Also to get financial aid you need to have graduated or equivalent.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 11 1,437 02-21-2024, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Amazing Student - High IQ bjcheung77 3 332 02-16-2024, 03:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 567 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 189 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 605 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 536 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 382 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 989 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Do extended level 6 diploma's from the UK get evaluated as Bachelor degrees in the US Pinko64 3 543 11-02-2023, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Pinko64
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 315 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger