Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking classes while waiting for degree conferment
I need to crowdsource this question:

I would like to continue taking classes online using StraighterLine and study.com while I wait for my degree in June. If I don't submit them to ACE until June after my BALS is fully confirmed will I still get credit for my next degree?
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
No. The date you complete the course will be the one that controls, not the date you as it to ACE.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Also, it's not the date that you complete credit that makes it "new" or "old," its whether or not you transcript it towards a degree that gets conferred. Unused classes are just that.
(03-03-2019, 10:07 PM)DeanLewis Wrote: Also, it's not the date that you complete credit that makes it "new" or "old," its whether or not you transcript it towards a degree that gets conferred. Unused classes are just that.

The way I read the TESU website as long as I complete it before June 1st in my case it cannot be used. But if I do complete most of the StraighterLine course but don't finish before I get the degree. So I will not test out of anything but use StraighterLine line for 3 months and do the final after I receive my degree.

(03-03-2019, 09:58 PM)davewill Wrote: No. The date you complete the course will be the one that controls, not the date you as it to ACE.

Thanks so I will not 100% complete until after I get the degree then.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
Could you link to the policy you're referencing?
(03-03-2019, 10:32 PM)vetvso Wrote: The way I read the TESU website as long as I complete it before June 1st in my case it cannot be used. But if I do complete most of the StraighterLine course but don't finish before I get the degree. So I will not test out of anything but use StraighterLine line for 3 months and do the final after I receive my degree.

Based on what I was told multiple times, this is true. Plus, in other threads, some have suggested that it's safer to have a buffer of at least a week or two. Even safer if the new credits are done in July.

(03-04-2019, 12:14 AM)DeanLewis Wrote: Could you link to the policy you're referencing?

• Complete a minimum of 24 credits including the required capstone for the degree. These credits must be in the area of study and/or core of the degree. These credits must be earned after the date the most recent degree, regardless of academic level, was conferred.
    https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/award-of-degrees

(03-04-2019, 12:48 AM)Ideas Wrote:
(03-03-2019, 10:32 PM)vetvso Wrote: The way I read the TESU website as long as I complete it before June 1st in my case it cannot be used. But if I do complete most of the StraighterLine course but don't finish before I get the degree. So I will not test out of anything but use StraighterLine line for 3 months and do the final after I receive my degree.

Based on what I was told multiple times, this is true. Plus, in other threads, some have suggested that it's safer to have a buffer of at least a week or two. Even safer if the new credits are done in July.

I really hope I don't have to wait that long since I'm always taking classes on campus and test out of 1-3 courses per semester. It's driving me crazy and I don't feel productive at all.
Each school has its own requirements on transfer credit, but for a degree at TESU they are specific that additional credits earned towards a second degree must be earned after the conferral date of the most recent degree. From what I understand, they can be sticklers about this policy.

(03-04-2019, 12:50 AM)vetvso Wrote: I really hope I don't have to wait that long since I'm always taking classes on campus and test out of 1-3 courses per semester. It's driving me crazy and I don't feel productive at all.

If you want to earn a second degree from TESU, you may have to live with it. Sad

I know how you feel. I finished the last of my school work for my degree around the first or second week of January, but since my degree won't be conferred until March 15th, I have been sitting on my hands for the last two months waiting. I feel like I'm being unproductive and wasting my time. I cannot work on any undergrad courses towards a second bachelor's degree (if I wanted one) nor can I start on my planned master's program since the BSBA degree conferral is not complete. In addition, I recently discovered that I may end up having to wait until May 1st to start my master's degree because my BSBA is being conferred too late in the month meet the deadline for an April 1st start date, which throws my schedule off by another month. At least I can work on undergrad courses in the interim if I want to go back for a CS degree at some point.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
RE ACE - I'm pretty sure you can procrastinate submitting and naming your completion day. To what extent, I'm not sure- but this happened to one of my boys a few years back. When I audited /consolidated transcripts I found that there was one I missed getting sent to ACE and marked it the day I submitted. Went through fine. Might be a coincidence, they might not check, might be specific to SL, who knows. But, I'm letting you know it's something you might be able to try.
You also could do Study.com classes that require assignments and not submit the assignment until after your degree is conferred.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • Ideas

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 50 5,210 9 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 13 728 9 hours ago
Last Post: LevelUP
  Where should I get my accounting degree? mt_1994 10 246 Yesterday, 10:10 AM
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 631 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 565 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 420 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 391 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 348 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 304 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 663 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger