Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Techy People and all and Cyber Security
Well, I'm at a point where I'm graduated. .... Got my diploma from TESC this Monday, Yayyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My degree is in history and I'm more of a language arts type person. Those are my interests and more of where my fortes are at.

So I'm looking at making some money now. One goal is to get my teacher's certification without debt through the state, but I want a trade type job that a woman can do that will make the bacon but at the same time be a little interesting and build my skill set, making me more marketable.

THEREFORE, my conclusions are to do something in computers. My Dad suggested cyber security and that it is a big industry right now. I was intrigued, because when I took my intro to computing DSST, I found it somewhat interesting.

Now I am not a tech person and am pretty computer illiterate when it comes to knowing the mechanics and proper maitnance of computers. If someone would like to share their insight and knowledge in that field such as what are the most marketable certifications for cyber security to get etc. I would be grateful! Smile

I KNOW there are some tech people on here. :coolgleam:
"Those who expect to be ignorant and free, expect what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson

Graduated, Finished, Completed!! my B.A. in History from TESC!!!!! Technically February 2013 & Generally May 2013!!!
Not to deter you, but from my experience, most computer jobs of any sort require a degree plus work experience . . . or just a lot of work experience. It sounds like you're starting mostly from ground zero. If that's okay with you, then good.

However, there may be other things that are simpler to get into. Still in computers, things like computer repair and help desk don't require a 4-year degree (some help desk spots do). Then again, they make quite a bit less than a network or programming expert.

Some links about getting into cyber security:

Computer Security: How do you start in cyber security? (education path / options) - Quora
career - What does working in cybersecurity look like? - IT Security Stack Exchange
Looking to get in the computer security field any ... - tech talk
I'm a social science person, but I've thought about entering the cyber security field too. I have enough work experience in two of the domains for the CISSP certification. I heard that many non-techy people have passed the exam, but the test covers a lot of material. It's also expensive to obtain and maintain. An entry-level certification would be COMPTIA Security +. Most jobs will require experience. The easiest way I've found to get that experience is to start out in technical support, but those jobs don't pay much. Most will probably require COMPTIA A+ certification. I'm not sure if cyber security is something that should entered for the short-term. By the time you have enough experience and the proper certifications to get a job in the field, you'll probably already have your teacher certification. At least it could be a back-up career. I heard the market for history teachers is oversaturated in most places.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
If you're wondering about getting into information technology, the field is quite broad.

If your undergrad was Computer Science (or something similar) you'd probably have a better idea of what you liked so far, and I would just recommend you go in that direction.

Since it appears you're looking for something hands on, and you seem to be starting from scratch (and you want to get into cybersecurity), but you also want to circle back to do your further education eventually, I recommend this approach:

1 CompTIA A+
2 CompTIA Network+
3 CompTIA Security+ - entry-level cybersecurity
4 CISSP - intermediate to advanced level cybersecurity

If you're on this forum, you probably have a general knack for test-taking, and whatnot.

If you're really interested in this, you need to really start looking at doing any sort of IT job as fast as possible, which A+ should be able to help you with. If you want to stay in the education community, you could look for gigs at education providers. They tend to pay less than other places, but it would keep you closer in the education industry, if you want to roll into eventually being a credentialed teacher.

If you're specifically trying to get into an IT career, a good forum for you would be Free MCTS MCITP CCNA CISSP and Network+ practice exams, study notes and forums.

One piece of advice you'll get immediately is that you need to work on your experience. This can include volunteering, etc. There is tons of free material out there to get started learning, but certifications are required to stand out from other candidates and get some of the better jobs.

There's three types of qualifications a person can bring to an IT position: experience, certification, and education. These are listed in order of precedence. If you have less of one, you can make up for it in the others somewhat.

Hope this helps.
ncpenn: Thank you for your comments and the links. I've begun to look at them and am getting an idea of what the IT computer industry/education looks like.
I already have my Bachelor of Arts with a concentration in History, but am trying figure out what I can do, that I like, and that will help support my other interests financially.

sanantone: Thanks for your comments as well. It seems that this field relies heavily on the personnel having experience. That I guess, is a natural thing for any industry or field that is rapidly growing.
Also your comment on history teachers, will hopefully keep me reminded of what I should "specialize in" when I start studying for teacher certification.

instant000: Thank you very much for the break-down of the steps that I can take to begin in the IT and security computer fields. Because I do not know exactly what I really like in that field, if it works out for me I can start simple. Therefore, if I get a basic certification, but decide its not for me at least I would have a basic level of training in a trade type field and can use it as a back-up.
Also I'll be looking for ways that I can accumulate some experience as you said.

My most sincere thanks to you all for taking the time to post here and give this valuable feedback. I'll be sure to let you know if I have any further questions and to post here if I have made progress in this industry.

~Best Regards
"Those who expect to be ignorant and free, expect what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson

Graduated, Finished, Completed!! my B.A. in History from TESC!!!!! Technically February 2013 & Generally May 2013!!!
I am not a Techy person myself (although several of my Luddite friends would disagree), but my husband is and several of our friends too. At one time you could start out on the ground floor of many technical companies and work your way up to the more interesting cyber security. In the present economy many of these people have been laid off and had to move around or become more specialized in one area. Those that have retained jobs have MANY years experience and great job references. If you had done your degree in the IT area or went back for a second degree in that area you might have more of a chance.

You don't mention how old you are(or at least an age range) if you are young enough and willing to spend the time now at lower pay to work your way upthis might be a good job, but I wouldn't suggest it for a short term well paying job.

Now as to teaching you don't mention what state you are in or what age or subject you want to teach. In many states history, social studies, or English teachers are a dime a dozen. In NJ where I just moved from many teachers are out of work even in the formerly available special Education area. In NY where I now live I can't even get a job as a substitute without teacher certification, and I meet people all the time who have certification and a masters degree but can only find jobs as low paid teacher Aides. In most states you will get the most support for a teaching certification if you are planning on teaching Math or Science, but even those jobs are going fast. Some states are desperate for teachers of trades or industrial arts. Be sure your state will have a need in your area when you are ready to go for a job. And now my most important suggestion (or my 2 cents) before you go through the work and expense of getting a teaching degree go work in a school, try to get work as a substitute or an aide or if no jobs are available work as a volunteer reading to the younger children. The point is I have met several people who either started or finished teacher training and once they actually tried it they realized they hated it. These days teachers spend more time teaching to the test, writing detailed lesson plans that have to explain to supervisors why they are teaching what they are teaching and how it fits into the Core Curriculum requirements, and filling out endless paperwork. Are you sure this is what you want. Don't get me wrong I LOVE teaching, but I am not sure I want to get into all that paperwork, I get enough chance to teach in NJ as a substitute I just am frustrated I can't do that here in NY.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
if you're not a tech person , then cyber security may not be for you

take a look at this and be afraid, be very afraid
IP Addressing and Subnetting for New Users - Cisco Systems

but then again, you may be a fast learner

this non-credit course just started today
https://www.coursera.org/course/comnetworks

so maybe you'll want to sign up, watch the videos and get an idea of what networks are and if they're for you

there's also this
Understanding Computers and the Internet / OpenCourseWare

Harvard took a credit course from it's extension school, filmed it and put it up on the web

of course this version is not for credit, but its good for an introduction,
way more introductory than the coursea course

(there are later versions of the Harvard course, but I like this version because in addition to the lectures it also "videos of the week" which are really good)

cosc has a certificate program
Charter Oak State College - Computer Security Certificate

as for teaching and not going into debt, I believe New York has a "free tuition" program, where the state pays for your Master of Science in Teaching/Education but you have to agree to teach in the NYC public system for a 2-3 years after graduating

your state might have something similar
Lindagerr: Thank you! I appreciate the time you took to post here. It is helpful to have someone explain a bit about the job climate for teachers etc. I am young enough to be considered at the brink of the beginning of my career; however, choosing a job or career direction in the right direction is very important to me even tho' I have "all the time in the world". However inaction is just as bad as choosing the "wrong thing".
I'll admit reading, that some of the teacher jobs that are available in your area are scarce, was a little disheartening, but I think the situation in my state is better because it is bigger in land size than NY, with less people per square mile.
I will indeed be putting in some apps for substituting. That is a good idea.
Thank you for your input!
- Thomas Jefferson

bluebooger: I don't put much stock in being afraid. But I think I see your point, that computer networking etc. is a complicated thing especially when it includes numbers etc.
However, Thank you for the links! I glanced at them and they would be helpful as a taste-tester to see if I like or have any interest in networking or computer IT type stuff.
Hmmm free tuition for a masters sounds interesting. Well as always more research!!
Hey but at least I have someTHING TO research and Options!
Thank you for your input here!
- Thomas Jefferson

I am an electrician by trade, but I eat, breath, and sleep computers. I would discourage anyone from the computer field unless they are involved in computers as a hobby. When you have free time, do you find yourself thinking of things to do with computers? Do you tinker with hardware in your spare time? Do you dabble in HTML for fun?

Something you may not have thought about at this point is federal government work. There are opportunities for history majors in the national park service. Check USAJobs and see what pops up for a Bachelors degree in history.

The bottom line is to do something you are passionate about. You will far more successful if you love your work. This is coming from 20 years experience in a field I despise.

Good luck with your decision and job hunt.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why I’m Leaving New York City. More than half a million people left New York in 2022 LevelUP 25 612 04-18-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  IT worker keeps 2 jobs for income security indigoshuffle 1 503 02-10-2024, 08:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Vent: 1-byte people in education berlinerd 3 411 11-17-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MGM reeling from cyber 'chaos' 5 days after attack LevelUP 0 285 09-14-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Video Tetris: A Modern Movie That Shows the How People Had to Live in the Soviet Union. LevelUP 1 550 04-10-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Question Why Do People Get So Crazy on Political Forums, According to AI? LevelUP 3 805 11-04-2022, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Kire
  The Government Is Literally Stealing People’s Homes! LevelUP 1 747 07-26-2022, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  3 Ways to Achieve Financial Security Abroad Kal Di 2 609 05-15-2022, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Program to educate incarcerated people costs 40K per graduate?! studyingfortests 25 1,767 05-11-2022, 06:29 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  House Hacking: How Financially Savvy People Live in Expensive Markets LevelUP 4 821 03-05-2022, 02:38 PM
Last Post: ss20ts