Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test Specific Forums: How far back do you read?
We (my 9th grade son and I) have just started the CLEP process and used IC to help my son pass his first CLEP in June. The test specific forums for US History I were absolutely essential in his success. We are now getting ready to tackle Biology--what a beast! We have started gathering the info off the forums so we can create a master list to study from. We were wondering how far back to go though? The forum itself begins in 2007--would info on a test in 2007 still be on a test in 2012? We will gather back that far if you have found it helpful but since there is sooo much info for this test, we wanted to ask folks for their opinion on whether that was necessary. Thanks!
June 2012 CLEP US HISTORY I (55)
I haven't taken Bio, but I always read allll the way from the beginning of the thread. Actually I copy and paste all info into a word doc that I use to research and study. Can't hurt. :-)
Lyanne

DSST (27)
Personal Finance - 448 Astronomy - 61 Civil War and Reconstruction - 68 History of Vietnam War - 68 Substance Abuse - 59 World Religions - 473 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union - 55 Environment and Humanity: Race to Save the Planet -61 Intro to Modern Middle East - 58
CLEP (48)
American Literature-73 American Government-62 U.S. History I - 64 U.S. History II -73 A&I Literature - 75 Western Civ I - 58 Western Civ II - 61 English Literature - 67 Humanities -76 Intro Sociology - 62 Social Sciences & History - 69
Other (43)
English Composition, Literature & Composition, Art Appreciation, General Psychology, Intro to Anthropology, Abnormal Psychology, Travel Agency Operations, Advanced Hospitality (7 credits), Intro Computer Software, Digital Photography, War and American Society, TESC Capstone
ALEKS (3)
Intermediate Algebra

**Not official, but BA History at Thomas Edison State College!!!!!!*
CLEP and DSST don't change much, though in recent years DSST has "updated" many exams. This doesn't mean that the old info is useless, but subtle changes do occur.

You can always read the threads backwards (done that). But then again even on the really long threads you can get through without much time commitment...I mean you are gonna spend a hundred bucks or so to take the exam so whats 30-45 minutes of preparation? The one or two nuggets you discover might be the difference between a pass and a fail.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I have found that with a lot of specific exam threads the early threads list a lot of specific study areas and the newer threads just say I followed "x's" list and it was right on or my exam covered all the items "x" listed but also these items, then they will list additional items. I agree with Rebel. I usually start with the newest, but end up reading them all. The good thing is even if you read them all and see lots of repetition in content you can be assured that those topics will show up on his exam! Good luck!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
:iagree:

I always read everything from the beginning to end, but used my judgement in skimming or skipping the posts that didn't seem to contribute much. After all, 3 credits could cost you 8-15 weeks of your life + $1000 dollars or more depending on the school.

Of course with some of the more popular exams, you may do a lot more skimming than reading through some of the posts, but it's psychologically helpful to see so many people commenting about the test. I used to feel like I was supported by an invisible network of testers while I was taking some of the CLEPS because of all of the comments I'd read beforehand.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
How did I end up posting twice? LOL... mods you can delete this one Wink

Thanks!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
KJArsenal Wrote:We are now getting ready to tackle Biology--what a beast!

This is what you need to know: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...ology.html
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Great info everyone!! Thank you for all the tips and for the Wikipedia links Smile
June 2012 CLEP US HISTORY I (55)
since you did history 1 I would suggest going ahead and taking history 2 and American government
[SIZE="2"]
Introduction to Sociology - 54/50
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 53/50
History 1 - 51/50
[SIZE="1"]Started using InstantCert [/SIZE]
College Mathematics - 61/50
History 2 - 53/50
American Government - 55/50
German - 56/50 ----FUCK I only needed a 60 for 6 more credits
Social Science & History - 61/50
College Composition - 50/50 lol
Intro to Computers - 408/400
College Algebra - 56/50
Principles of Management - 50/50
Ethics in America - 451/400
Principles of Statistics - 438/400
Principles of Finance - 411/400
Management Information Systems - 451/400
Principles of Marketing - 62/50
Intro to World Religions - 454/400
Business Law I - 50/50

75/60[/SIZE]
As far as how back to go, I say all the way. Similar to what marianne202 was saying, you'll notice people will build on the beginning posts and add to them. 95% of the time you'll hear things like "There isn't anything more I can add" or "I agree 100% of what the previous posters have already said" or something of that nature.
I'm a bit different and usually don't start with the newest... I'll start at the beginning and just read it all the way through, copying and pasting the topics into a word processor. Tests themselves vary from exam to exam, but the topics that are listed stay the same. From personal experience the Specific Exam Feedback area has been deadly accurate for every exam I've taken. Biology is a beast, it can require you to know things a mile wide and sometime several inches deep. As Rebel said, take the 30-40 minutes and read through it, only in this case it's 6 credits not 3. The Wikipedia links are great, as are the videos from Khan Academy, Free-CLEP-Prep's free PT, and [URL=http://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/farabee/BIOBK/BioBookTOC.html"]this free online biology book.[/URL]
Best of luck to you and your son.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Test score rogeryoung 4 282 04-24-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: rogeryoung
  You've been reading wrong all your life. How to read 1000 pages a day. LevelUP 2 276 04-17-2024, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 263 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 547 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 406 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  A Look Back at College Closures and Mergers in 2023 LevelUP 0 323 12-22-2023, 11:09 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 6,053 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  Perlego: Startup for "all you can read" textbooks bjcheung77 7 1,103 09-08-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 698 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis
  SANS FOR500 Test and college credit vetvso 5 1,007 10-30-2022, 07:11 PM
Last Post: vetvso