Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tesu..finish a degree ad grad school
.for those of that have gone to tesu, with transfer units and tests ...was it hard to get into a different grad school after? Im thinking to finish my degree at tesu if I can figure out how but I have 20 some units according to them to finish!!! Just wondering if it matters after. And anyone have advice on how to finish...testing tecep? E-pack?
Some grad schools want to see a minimum number of graded credits. So if you don't have enough of those, you may have to get some or be admitted conditionally.

E-packs at TESU are expensive, $366/credit with the Study.com discount which is expected to be less soon. TECEPs are only $117 for 3 credits Smile Through ACE providers you can pay $33.33/credit or less.

Plenty of people here have gone on to grad school after getting a degree from one of the Big 3 or WGU or Patten.

You can finish a degree at TESU without TECEP's or E-packs. I would list your credits here, and we can help you figure out what to take and the fastest/cheapest way for you to finish.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • High_Order1
Credits I have or what they r telling me I need to finish??
(05-07-2018, 05:30 PM)Sb2013 Wrote: Credits I have or what they r telling me I need to finish??

Credits you have and what degree you want. Indicate any courses that are lower than a C. 

Plenty of people have gotten into grad school. If you have a particular school in mind, then you should become familiar with their admissions policies.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(05-08-2018, 11:52 AM)davewill Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 05:30 PM)Sb2013 Wrote: Credits I have or what they r telling me I need to finish??

Credits you have and what degree you want. Indicate any courses that are lower than a C. 

Plenty of people have gotten into grad school. If you have a particular school in mind, then you should become familiar with their admissions policies.

I'm working on a ba in communications. i know you can take classes on SL and study.com i haven't used either yet. i don't know how hard they are etc and time consuming. I'm trying to map out what i need to take and where so i can get started

heres what i have left to take:

eng 102
oral comm
info literacy
ethics
tes 100...i have to take at tesu 
comm theory
mass comm 2
6 units of UL comm electives 
LA capstone...i have to take at tesu
(05-18-2018, 10:40 AM)Sb2013 Wrote:

I'm working on a ba in communications. i know you can take classes on SL and study.com i haven't used either yet. i don't know how hard they are etc and time consuming. I'm trying to map out what i need to take and where so i can get started

eng 102
oral comm
info literacy
ethics
comm theory
mass comm 2

I did take Public Speaking, Interpersonal Communications (upper level), Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Leadership Communication (upper level) with study.com and Managerial Communication from Davar Academy. The way study.com breaks down the lessons into approximately 8 minute segments of video (or you can read the transcript of the video), followed by a 5 question quiz (which you can retake if you get below 80%) makes it easy to learn and easy to retain. It can be time consuming, but it is pretty easy. 

My favorite thing about study.com though is that some topics overlap and by completing lessons in one course, you get credit for that lesson in other courses so it makes it a lot faster to complete the courses in your major if you take them all through study.com. For example, I have not started Organizational Communication there, but I already have 26 out of 55 quizzes passed because there was some overlap with my other courses.

By the way, if you take a study.com class and enroll at TESU as a study.com affiliate, they waive the cornerstone class (TES-100). That deal is good through 6/30/18, if you want to take advantage of it. We don't know if it will be extended beyond that.

If there are not enough courses you want to take at study.com, there are TECEP exams you can take in the major: Public Relations Thought & Practice, Technical Communication, Technical Writing, Intro. to News Reporting, Marketing Communications (which is upper level), and Managerial Communications (also upper level) are only about $117 each when you enroll. The only class you have to take at TESU is the capstone (if you get the cornerstone waived through study.com affiliation).  I have never taken a TECEP, but $117 is a lot better than $1098 per course that you pay as a study.com affiliate, and much better than the $1498 per course if you're not an affiliate.

I LOVE study.com and highly recommend it.  The fact that they offer the Guardian scholarship for 6 free courses is just a bonus.

I originally wanted a Communications major, but study.com didn't have all the courses they have now and I was relying on the TESU website's degree plan and it showed mandatory Mass Comm I & II, so I decided to get an associates in communications instead of the bachelors, and got my bachelor's in something else. Imagine my surprise when I asked for a Communications evaluation and realized that those classes were not mandatory and I could have gotten the degree  I really wanted.  By then, I was already too close to graduation to change.  It would seem that the TESU website would be the authority, but in this case it is inaccurate, at least as far as my 2017 catalog was concerned. I believe it is still wrong, so you should definitely ask for a Communications evaluation when you enroll at TESU so you can make sure that if you're stressing over expensive classes, the stress is necessary.

By the way you can take the free ethics course mentioned on this board to save some money. It's only 2 credits, but that other credit can be made up with the free 1 credit Sophia Essentials of Managing Conflict course that is mentioned elsewhere on this board.
TESU BA June 2018.
Various business certificates still to do.
If you do want a degree in Comm, but are willing to do something else (like the BALS), it wouldn't hurt to take the Comm courses that you want, transfer them to TESU, and see where they get slotted in. If they don't go where you'd like, then you won't have lost anything.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-18-2018, 12:18 PM)SDO Wrote:
(05-18-2018, 10:40 AM)Sb2013 Wrote:

eng 102
oral comm
info literacy
ethics
comm theory
mass comm 2

I did take Public Speaking, Interpersonal Communications (upper level), Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Leadership Communication (upper level) with study.com and Managerial Communication from Davar Academy. The way study.com breaks down the lessons into approximately 8 minute segments of video (or you can read the transcript of the video), followed by a 5 question quiz (which you can retake if you get below 80%) makes it easy to learn and easy to retain. It can be time consuming, but it is pretty easy. 

My favorite thing about study.com though is that some topics overlap and by completing lessons in one course, you get credit for that lesson in other courses so it makes it a lot faster to complete the courses in your major if you take them all through study.com. For example, I have not started Organizational Communication there, but I already have 26 out of 55 quizzes passed because there was some overlap with my other courses.

By the way, if you take a study.com class and enroll at TESU as a study.com affiliate, they waive the cornerstone class (TES-100). That deal is good through 6/30/18, if you want to take advantage of it. We don't know if it will be extended beyond that.

If there are not enough courses you want to take at study.com, there are TECEP exams you can take in the major: Public Relations Thought & Practice, Technical Communication, Technical Writing, Intro. to News Reporting, Marketing Communications (which is upper level), and Managerial Communications (also upper level) are only about $117 each when you enroll. The only class you have to take at TESU is the capstone (if you get the cornerstone waived through study.com affiliation).  I have never taken a TECEP, but $117 is a lot better than $1098 per course that you pay as a study.com affiliate, and much better than the $1498 per course if you're not an affiliate.

I LOVE study.com and highly recommend it.  The fact that they offer the Guardian scholarship for 6 free courses is just a bonus.

I originally wanted a Communications major, but study.com didn't have all the courses they have now and I was relying on the TESU website's degree plan and it showed mandatory Mass Comm I & II, so I decided to get an associates in communications instead of the bachelors, and got my bachelor's in something else. Imagine my surprise when I asked for a Communications evaluation and realized that those classes were not mandatory and I could have gotten the degree  I really wanted.  By then, I was already too close to graduation to change.  It would seem that the TESU website would be the authority, but in this case it is inaccurate, at least as far as my 2017 catalog was concerned. I believe it is still wrong, so you should definitely ask for a Communications evaluation when you enroll at TESU so you can make sure that if you're stressing over expensive classes, the stress is necessary.

By the way you can take the free ethics course mentioned on this board to save some money. It's only 2 credits, but that other credit can be made up with the free 1 credit Sophia Essentials of Managing Conflict course that is mentioned elsewhere on this board.
Oh! Can you tell me more about the Comm Major.  I'm not enrolled yet but would love to know what course ARE mandatory for Comm. I'm trying to test out as much as possible.
According to my evaluation for the 2017 catalog year, the Comm. degree requires:

6 credits of "Theory" and "Options include Fundamentals of Speech, COM-120 Mass Communications I, COM-121 Mass Communications II, COM-330 Interpersonal Communications I, Interpersonal Communications II."

24 credits of Area of Study electives. "**A total of 15 of the 30 Semester Hours required within the entire Communications Area of Study must be a t the 300/400 level.**"

3 credits "Liberal Arts Capstone"
TESU BA June 2018.
Various business certificates still to do.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,923 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,153 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,021 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,580 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,282 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,320 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic