Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas Veterans - Hazlewood Act
My G.I.Bill benefits became no longer usuable in 2007, that is when my 10 years of use was up. Luckily I was able to utilize some of it, but did not put a dent into it.

The Hazlewood Act alows us Texans (if eligible) to get up to 150 hours paid for college. It also states, it pays for exams such as CLEP.

Does the Hazlewood Act cover credit by examination?

Yes. Since Texas Education Code 54.203 (a) refers to an exemption from “all dues, fees and charges…” the exemption would include charges for credit by examination.

I guess my question is, with the assumption you would have to be enrolled at the Texas approved college or university, how would you go about getting the CLEP exams paid for if you did not want to enroll. Has anyone found a loop hole? Not exactly something I want to approach a community college with, but possible someone has had the nerve to do just that.
I assume that it would be the same as if using the GI Bill to cover your CLEPs and DSSTs. I think you don't have to be enrolled in school, but when you take the exams you will pay up front and then submit for reimbursment. My wife uses a Generic GI Bill form that goes to the VA when doing that to get back her money. I would call the Texas VA office that deals with the Hazelwood act to get their version of the reimbursment form if they have one, and to find out exactly how the process works with them.
I'm giving my Hazelwood act to my daughter since I don't need it anymore.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
Thanks Clep101. I just downloaded the application for the benfits, and it states to submit the application to the institution you plan on attending. I wonder if I submit it to the local college that I plan on using for the CLEP testing, I would still be eligible. These are things I will need to discuss with the college it appears, but was hoping another fellow Texan has tried this. And as you, any unused hours, I will pass down to my kids, a great benefit!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not Happy with the Situation in Texas Charles Fout 18 1,953 03-25-2024, 04:04 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Best and Worst Colleges for Veterans sanantone 9 5,574 09-05-2023, 03:20 AM
Last Post: AUDACITY4U
  New Benefit for Veterans Receiving Disability jamshid666 3 2,688 10-11-2019, 07:55 AM
Last Post: tesu-acct-student
  Free Coding bootcamps for veterans: VET TEC program through the VA MNomadic 10 4,295 06-22-2019, 09:21 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Certificates in Services for Veterans Jonathan Whatley 1 1,890 06-12-2019, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Busch Gardens or SeaWorld free for veterans MNomadic 0 1,377 05-20-2019, 11:35 PM
  Trump moves to cancel student loan debt for disabled veterans decimon 11 5,872 05-21-2018, 10:47 AM
Last Post: frank.f.franky
  Free Splunk Training for Veterans jamshid666 3 3,816 04-26-2018, 05:45 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  T-Mobile and Fourblock launch online mooc program for veterans MNomadic 0 1,971 04-18-2018, 02:45 PM
  Only 722 total veterans in top 36 most highly selective colleges! Life Long Learning 3 2,070 03-03-2018, 12:14 AM
Last Post: dfrecore