Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Art Institute's" Accreditation?
Saw a friend of a friend's post on Facebook who decided to separate from the service after being accepted into a program at the Art Institute of San Diego. I decided to do some basic googling and it didn't seem all too clear that they're regionally accredited, or for that matter having much of a good reputation. Are they legitimate? Apparently other members separating/retiring are getting in it too.
OfficerA Wrote:Saw a friend of a friend's post on Facebook who decided to separate from the service after being accepted into a program at the Art Institute of San Diego. I decided to do some basic googling and it didn't seem all too clear that they're regionally accredited, or for that matter having much of a good reputation. Are they legitimate? Apparently other members separating/retiring are getting in it too.

Some campuses are regionally accredited while others are nationally accredited. Apparently, many of their campuses are attached to Argosy University which is regionally accredited.
Accreditation
Accreditation and Licensing - The Art Institutes

The Art Institute system is for-profit. Its parent company, EDMC, is currently being sued by a former admissions officer for falsifying records.

Quote:But EDMC's own records show that the student found a job in his field of study as a designer. It lists Shop 'n Save as an advertising agency.
Whistle-blower accuses EDMC of falsifying records to get taxpayer money | Investigations - WTAE Home

:roflol:

I don't know what happened with this lawsuit from 2011.

Quote:The Art Institutes, one of the nation’s largest for-profit school systems where people can receive an education in photography, has come under fire. Last month, the US Department of Justice filed a massive lawsuit against the company behind the schools, Education Management Corporation, accusing it of fraudulently collecting $11 billion in government aid by recruiting low-income students for the purpose of collecting student aid money. Whistleblowers claim that students graduate loaded with debt and without the means to pay off the loans, which are then paid for with taxpayer dollars.
US Gov Sues The Art Institutes for $11 Billion Fraud

There is also this.

Quote:A group of former admissions officers who alleged discrimination and retaliation at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh in 2012 and 2013 have filed three lawsuits in federal court in Pennsylvania seeking $6.75 million.

In their April 24 filings, Darrell Evans, LaMont Jones, Jr., and Michael Scott allege a pattern of broken promises and terminations based on age and race discrimination. At the for-profit Art Institute of Pittsburgh (AIP) — a school that is owned and operated by the Education Management Corp. (EDMC), one of the nation’s largest for-profit education companies — the group has previously alleged that they were pressured to enroll as many students as possible to bolster company income and were encouraged to focus their efforts squarely on underrepresented minority students.

They say that when they raised objections and concerns about this policy, they were punished with low performance evaluations. In their lawsuits, Jones and Scott focus heavily on retaliation claims.
Former Admissions Officers Sue Art Institute of Pittsburgh
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
*sigh* I freaking knew it. Thanks again, as always. I don't know how else to break it to them, but if nothing else I hope they didn't choose to separate solely on this (even the welcome letter sounds vague as hell).
The really interesting thing is that most of the Art Institutes are accredited as business schools, similar to an ITT Tech or DeVry, not like a top art school. They are very much all about the money, but will be liberal with PLA type credits if they think they can bribe you into enrolling. They certainly aren't cheap schools though. I attended an Art Institite - horrible decision. In two quarters I only had one instructor who was really good & had actually worked in the field he taught. Thank goodness I had him for two courses! Just for comparison, I also attended the Academy of Art University, which was a far superior school & highly competitive. All of my instructors there were amazing (professionals who had actually worked in their fields) & many of the students were super talented even as freshmen.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
Have they looked into Colorado Mountain College? I'm taking a paralegal course on-line with them, and the tuition is great. My local community college is around $151 per credit hour. As a vet, I pay $57 a credit hour at CMC. So far, all of the administrative folks have been very nice, and efficient. My experience with the professor of this, my first course, has been very positive. They might want to see if there are degrees or certificates from CMC that can help them meet their goals.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
it's always touchy when you have situations like your friend is in. Let's be clear about one thing, your friend wasn't accepted, she enrolled. Those schools are open enrollment, so if she met the entrance criteria, she has permission to enroll. There are lots of times when a non-RA degree is ok. And, in fairness, the Art Institute is technically "legit." So, what do you say to your friend? Not much. You can see if she has doubts, and then help her with information. Something like "do you think you'd ever like to earn or need a bachelor's degree down the road?" If she says yes, then you can say "you might have trouble transferring the AI credits, not all schools accept them" and leave it there. Your friend could get the same degree at her community college, she already knows that, so there is something she thinks AI is giving her that her CC can't. (debt! But anyway....) It really depends on her field, but AI hit the artsy trade occupations with lots of flash, so she might be under the impression that it's a really good program. You never know, but I doubt she thinks she's making a mistake, so tread lightly. JMO
I showed the links to my friend of the applicant, and asked her to consider, but I haven't heard a reply back. I'm not going to push the issue, but based on the posts I'm seeing they're driven more by the famous celebrities who came from the schools, not so much on the value of the education.

It's her decision to pursue, and I will respect it. It just... well, worries me, even though I understand it's not my place.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 798 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Arts Institute is no longer... And they all bite the dust... bjcheung77 1 364 10-02-2023, 08:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Christian Leaders Institute… Vle045 17 4,037 09-30-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Travis_CVUgrad
  Nicaragua removes accreditation elcastor21 5 496 08-26-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Accreditation problems for Ocean County College indigoshuffle 4 725 07-23-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 833 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Online Learning and Accreditation Alpha 0 490 10-01-2022, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Universal Technical Institute buys Concorde Career Colleges bjcheung77 0 440 05-16-2022, 02:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  5 Surprises about accreditation Alpha 0 562 02-19-2022, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Texas Institute of Technology and Science Alpha 4 858 11-01-2021, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Johann