Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Importance of TESC Graded Credits When Applying to Graduate School
I was going through my Facebook page and saw this TESC article https://www.facebook.com/tesc.edu?fref=nf and http://hubs.ly/y01rld0 about an inititive which helps students to save time and money while "collecting" credits towards earning their degrees. According to TESC,
Quote:...acting Gov. Guadagno announced NJ’s first Prior Learning Assessment Network, on our College’s campus!...

What interests me most is a response to the article on TESC's FB page. According to response:

Quote:I'm not enrolled at TESC and while I think it's great what you and the other two schools are doing, it's important to make your students aware that if they have aspirations of applying to a competitive graduate college after they complete their undergrad, they still need 60 graded credits for most programs. I realize the goal of many is simply to finish the degree they started long ago; however some of these students will inevitably wish to go further and may be disappointed if there aren't any substantive graded credits when they graduate.

Though I am still waiting on TESC's graduation audit to know whether I will be graduating this September and then post a THANK YOU I AM DONE thread, I will be graduating with Zero graded credits, hence no GPA. Not even my foreign B&M university transferred credits were treated like the B&M credits transferred in from US institutions.

To test the waters, I have applied to Eastern New Mexico University's MBA program. Before submitting application, I had written to someone at the MBA office. I had written to ask how they would calculate my GPA since I will be graduating with N/A in place of GPA. Part of my mail:

Quote:...I would like to know how my GPA would be counted since the credit hours in my Thomas Edison State College transcripts were transferred in from American Council on Education recommended college level courses like Straighterline, ALEKS, TEEX, the Thomas Edison State College Examinations Program (TECEPS), and a brick and mortar institution from Nigeria. Also, the last 24 credit hours which I used in fulfilling residency requirements at Thomas Edison State College don't have numerical grades. TESC awarded CR (credit) since these were challenge exams administered by the college...

Below is a part of the response I got:

Quote:Your transcripts from the university in Nigeria will need to be evaluated by a professional independent transcript evaluation service, such as WES, to change it to the American grading system. I found this information from the Thomas Edison State College about grades: “All undergraduate students at Thomas Edison State College are required to maintain an overall minimum average of C in their Thomas Edison State College courses in order to graduate. All area of study courses must be graded C or better in order to apply to area of study requirements for undergraduate students at Thomas Edison State College.”. When evaluating your transcripts your grade will be considered to be at a C or better.

What do you guys think about the comment on Facebook regarding TESC not informing its students of the need for graded credits and policy of most graduate schools. I know this has been discussed before, but it seems it is becoming the norm for graduate school to want to see student have about 60 graded credits from the school awarding their degree.
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
Firstly your "I'm Done" post is something I'm really looking forward to! Big Grin
You've worked like a machine and I find that highly impressive!!
Every extra red CR which appears next to your TECEP subject makes me smile, and a little less intimidated at the thought of taking them myself

Secondly, this is a very interesting point you've brought up; I wonder what the general experience here is, as most people seem to go on to further education after their bachelors

Congratulations!

I think the keyword is competitive program. I don't know that for-profit schools or schools like WGU, have any such requirements. But, almost all of the graduate colleges (that say their admission is competitive) I have looked at require 60. I happen to have EXACTLY 60 graded credits on my COSC transcript and that was by design. Ordinarily Missouri State Univ for example only requests the transcript that contains your Bachelor's degree but because I had so much transfer credit, a credential assessment, and a lot of DSST/CLEP on that transcript, they have now asked for ALL of my transcripts.

I have 26 graded credits from one college, 45 from another college, 9 from another college, and 12 from COSC. The rest are test-outs and credential assessments. I'm hoping that will be enough to pass their 60 credit litmus test because that's 92 but i don't know if they require that a certain amount be at a certain level so I'll let you know when I find out.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
BTW, MSU told me that the reason they require 60 graded credits is because they use your last 60 credits' GPA to, in part, determine eligibility into their program.

Most schools do NOT require 60 graded credits from the college awarding the degree. If they want to see a certain number of graded credits, then it's usually from all sources. Even most graduate programs that only look at the last 60 credits want to see ALL transcripts so that they can calculate the GPA themselves.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Most schools do NOT require 60 graded credits from the college awarding the degree. If they want to see a certain number of graded credits, then it's usually from all sources. Even most graduate programs that only look at the last 60 credits want to see ALL transcripts so that they can calculate the GPA themselves.

I don't if you are responding to me or the OP. I think the OP was talking about 60 credits total from all sources. That's what I was talking about as well. My college however, did only make you send in all transcripts if you had your last 60 credits on the transcript where you received your degree.

soliloquy Wrote:I don't if you are responding to me or the OP. I think the OP was talking about 60 credits total from all sources. That's what I was talking about as well. My college however, did only make you send in all transcripts if you had your last 60 credits on the transcript where you received your degree.
The OP says "60 graded credits from the school awarding their degree" at the end.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Maybe I had misinterpreted the idea of having the last 60 credits to mean credits from the institution awarding the degree, I think it makes more sense that all 60 credits be calculated from all transcripts and not necessarily the one from TESC. Still, some schools seem to want the last 30 to 60 credits to be from the school awarding the degree. I was checking the admission requirements for one of the AACSB schools (I can't remember which now) and they seem to state that one should have a certain GPA which will be calculated from ONLY the core prerequisites (Marketing, Finance, Accounting etc) which must come from a regionally accredited institution. Another school seems to want the last 60 credits from the graduating institution. Eastern Mexico had written to me to send my Penn Foster, Straighterline, Nigerian B&M, and TESC transcripts. They seem to be okay with calculating my GPA from all these sources. Fingers crossed.
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
Saharapost,

Like GMT, I've enjoyed watching as you ticked off the list of your completed exams. When possible, would you please update your siggy to reflect marketing communications was indeed passed?

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Different schools have different requirements. Most schools can even waive one of the requirements you're lacking if you're strong in another area. Also, most schools can give a "conditional admission" when you don't meet all of their requirements but they let you in anyway and you just have to demonstrate that you can meet a certain GPA in the program within the first few courses. I'm not concerned about it. I'd just suggest that if somebody's got a specific program that they've got their heart set on, then look up its admissions requirements and do what you can to meet them, and try to balance weaknesses with strong letters of recommendation and high test scores. It's not TESC or any other college's job to tell us what every single graduate school out there may or may not require for admissions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU - Applying for Graduation dexter1326 3 1,670 09-07-2018, 08:43 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,086 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,221 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,673 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,815 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Applying to PA school ashtonnewman 18 3,983 08-12-2018, 11:17 PM
Last Post: ashtonnewman
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,858 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Credits Giantzebra 5 1,580 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,358 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM
  Business Degree and Dental School Flowers12 6 2,406 07-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Last Post: cookderosa