Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Internet is so Intrusive
Periodically, I google myself and usually don't come up with much. That's the way I like it. Today, I googled myself and saw an advertisement for me on some PTIN directory that's not connected to the IRS. I knew my PTIN would be public, but this advertisement is so funny because because it's so wrong. I replaced my name with my username here.

Quote:For tax preparation in San Marcos, Texas, you can count on Sanantone. Sanantone assists taxpayers and small businesses with taxes in San Marcos, Texas and the surrounding communities. Whether you are an individual or a local business in or around San Marcos, Texas, Sanantone has years of valuable experience as an IRS registered tax preparer.

Confusedmilelol: The only people I have prepared taxes for are myself and once for my sister using H&R Block software. This is so weird. They post this same thing for everyone with a PTIN.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Periodically, I google myself ...

I google myself every night before I go to sleep
I hate this too. I used to not worry about it too much because there was another woman who lived in the same area I lived with the same name, & my last name is a very common word in the English language so it was difficult to look me up. With all the new technology though, & more info being released... it has become scary. They are starting to post my full name, including my middle name, including addresses where my parents lived, and things they it seems like they couldn't have just from public records. It does put people at risk. There's actually a wikileaks website closely related to my old industry where performers real names have been posted along with their addresses, addresses if their parents, etc. I have a few friends whose parents have actually been harrassed by people, & because the websites are hosted overseas, the U.S. government can't even get them down. Its ridiculous. I also don't post any photos under my legal name because of all the facial recognition coming out. I'm concerned it would link too easily to the stuff under my professional name.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
I think it's a good idea to google yourself for security purposes and to know what HR and hiring managers will see when they research you. That PTIN website also has my business address posted. I have a very unique first name, and someone with a name close to mine is in the news for an arrest. Thank goodness she doesn't have a similar last name. With catfishing, people are also stealing pictures off of social media.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:I think it's a good idea to google yourself for security purposes and to know what HR and hiring managers will see when they research you.
Another good idea is to set up a "Google news alert" with your name. When new web content is published with your name, and the Google crawler indexes it, you will get an e-mail. Very convenient.
Years ago, our HR office posted names and SSNs in different units as part of a realignment plan. My boss thought that I was weird because I walked right up and redacted my SSN. Then I called HR to tell them not to post SSNs. (They did it again.) I complained to the big boss about our leave and earnings statements including the SSNs, and that was removed. I complained about SSNs on insurance cards, but that took years to change.

Now? My bête noire is loyalty cards. I either don't get one, or get one under a fake name/address. Paranoid? Just 'cause I'm paranoid doesn't meant that the aren't out to get me!
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
Outis Wrote:Another good idea is to set up a "Google news alert" with your name. When new web content is published with your name, and the Google crawler indexes it, you will get an e-mail. Very convenient.

I have this set up as well. Super easy.
cookderosa Wrote:I have this set up as well. Super easy.

I do as well. Its also a bit irritating though because of people you don't want knowing your business, as it makes it easier for them to find information about you.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
Yes Google my last name and you only come up with 1780 results!! As far as we can find there have only been 8 with our last name alive in the last 30 years and only 6 are left, including my mother in law my brother in law my husband and children that is it. When I put in my first and last name we are down to about 800 but most of them are Linda and some one else with my last name but not me.

The strangest thing is the images that come up when you type in my name of the ~70 images I only recognize about 5!

I watched the new CSI Cyber last night and it really makes me uncomfortable about how many ways there are that a hacker can get into our lives. It makes me want to delete any social media reference to me (not that it is possible) and to stay off all social media sites.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Internet Archive Alpha 0 336 07-12-2022, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  VIPKids (teaching ESL to kids in China via the internet) -- scam or legit? dmjacobsen 10 4,137 06-11-2017, 12:26 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  NSA declassified guide to Internet research yb1 1 905 01-23-2017, 11:16 AM
Last Post: defscarlett
  OT: Pausing the Internet cookderosa 22 2,711 07-20-2016, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Bibby
  Wireless internet providers? rmroberts 6 1,355 06-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Last Post: rickyjo