Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OT: Pausing the Internet
dfrecore Wrote:I agree. While I homeschool my kids, I'm pretty far removed from helicopter parenting - I am all about natural consequences (my kid just got back from camp and spent all his money and didn't have but $2 left to eat lunch that last day. Oh well, I guess next time he'll try to be better about budgeting, or else he'll go hungry! - I gave him PLENTY of money for meals, but he decided to buy a t-shirt with some of it). I want them to feel the pain of bad decisions, and some kids need to feel more pain than others. But when their pain (being sleepy and grumpy the next day) becomes MY pain, then we need to make some changes!

<--- also not a rescuer. It doesn't create resentful kids, my kids are exceptionally self-reliant and proud of that ability.
cookderosa Wrote:<--- also not a rescuer. It doesn't create resentful kids, my kids are exceptionally self-reliant and proud of that ability.

*sigh* Sometimes I have a feeling I'm the "terror daddy" as I sometimes get a little loud with the kids...
And of course, the times where I had to slap their wrists when they draw on the wall and not on the paper...
But I love them both... even though they may not appreciate what I do for them now, I hope they do later.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Cookderosa: Yeah, that's a good way to put it. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect your kids to go to bed at a sane hour - at least most nights. Sleep deprivation is not a pretty picture, and Starbucks is not a suitable substitute for getting sufficient sleep!

(Some of the other features of this device seem like overkill, however.)
Course clear! You got a card.

Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 72|American Government 71|Introductory Sociology 63|Humanities 70|College Composition 60|U.S. History II 67|Principles of Marketing 73|Principles of Macroeconomics 67|Principles of Microeconomics 66|U.S. History I 74|College Mathematics 68|Information Systems & Computer Applications 68|College Algebra 56|Biology 63|Financial Accounting 65

B.A.S. IT Management, Class of 2015
MBA, Class of 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Internet Archive Alpha 0 324 07-12-2022, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  VIPKids (teaching ESL to kids in China via the internet) -- scam or legit? dmjacobsen 10 4,101 06-11-2017, 12:26 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  NSA declassified guide to Internet research yb1 1 896 01-23-2017, 11:16 AM
Last Post: defscarlett
  The Internet is so Intrusive sanantone 8 1,066 03-29-2015, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Lindagerr
  Wireless internet providers? rmroberts 6 1,342 06-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Last Post: rickyjo