Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ivies - admission
Researching as we also plan for young family members.

So getting admission as an Undergrad is a challenge? The admission rates are low considering the applications received.

Is getting in as a Graduate student less crazy?
:hurray:

[SIZE=2]it is a journey[/SIZE]
Admissions to the Ivies depends on many factors including not just the University, but the specific school in the University. Some of these Universities have open enrollment schools, but know that recruiters see past these.

My nephew was admitted to an Ivy. He was a straight A student at a top private prep school, could throw a baseball 90MPH, was a leader in his school, scored like in the top 5% on the SATs, and is from a low income, disadvantaged minority. He still didn't get into one of the "Big 3" Ivies.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
We are thinking if child does not make it in for Undergrad, they can plan for it as a Grad student. To be honest, with the level of academic intensity in some of these schools it might be worth consideration waiting to go in as a Grad student.

As Prloko mentioned, it depends on the specific school. For example, Harvard has 12 degree granting colleges under the wide umbrella of Harvard University Schools | Harvard University Competition for spots within the undergrad college is among the most intense in the country, likewise for the Business School, Law School, and Medical. The Dental School and Divinity are less competitive, but still no cake walk. The Extension School is maligned, yet for a variety of reasons only a scant 3% of students are actually in its degree granting program....though it does make an Ivy League education available to the masses, as it has for over 100 years.

What's the end goal?
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
BELLA Wrote:We are thinking if child does not make it in for Undergrad, they can plan for it as a Grad student. To be honest, with the level of academic intensity in some of these schools it might be worth consideration waiting to go in as a Grad student.

It is possible to get into a top Grad school from a non ivy undergrad, but it is tough depending on the program. For example, schools like Harvard Business, Wharton, and Stanford look at both the pedigree of the degree and the GPA. It may also depend on the degree type and even what job they have held after undergrad. The website poets and quants gets into the nitty gritty of B-School admissions. You haven't mentioned what sort of graduate degree you're looking at, but that site is an excellent compendium of information into the world of B-School admissions. A world where even top candidates are hiring paid consultants to help them get into their target schools.

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Prloko Wrote:It is possible to get into a top Grad school from a non ivy undergrad, but it is tough depending on the program. For example, schools like Harvard Business, Wharton, and Stanford look at both the pedigree of the degree and the GPA. It may also depend on the degree type and even what job they have held after undergrad. The website poets and quants gets into the nitty gritty of B-School admissions. You haven't mentioned what sort of graduate degree you're looking at, but that site is an excellent compendium of information into the world of B-School admissions. A world where even top candidates are hiring paid consultants to help them get into their target schools.

I am glad we have this conversation going. I appreciate the input.

Which site are you referring to?

It's in my comment. poetsandquants.com Smile

PrLoko-isms

Here's the thing that is hard to swallow- when you hear acceptance rates are 5% or so, you think, but I'm in the top of my class, so I've got a shot. Here's the truth- the applicant pool sending their application to the Ivys already consists of top students. I read 30-something percent of all applicants are ALREADY their class valedictorian. So, when valedictorians are getting turned down, you have to put that in context.

Yes, grad school is considerably easier to get into. First, fewer applicants. Not everyone goes. Second, fewer financial options- many people are burdened by debt already and can't pay; Financial aid programs like Pell Grants are not applicable to grad school, so you need to have cash or credit. Third, adults in the traditional age set that attend grad school have competing interests- marriage, family, etc. that make them more likely to seek out alternatives like distance learning, part time attendance, or simply waiting. Finally, graduate degrees for careers in which they are REQUIRED for the profession (vet, doc, dentist, pharm) are AS COMPETITIVE as anything else- maybe even more so. So, if you're going for graduate school theology at Harvard, I'm putting all my pennies on an acceptance letter.
Here's an idea... Harvard has an online program now which is not competitive entrance. Cheap, too.

Online and On-Campus Courses | Harvard Extension School

I'm a Princeton grad myself, and we visited this year for my son. He decided he wasn't interested. Smile Yes, admission is crazy competitive.. probably more so now than when I went. You can search online to see average SAT scores, for example. Really helps if you have national standing in some extracurricular field, or at least state standing. It does help to apply Early Action if you know where you want to go, but even so, it's still very competitive.

Personally, I would never recommend anyone go to Princeton for grad school... it was a much more depressing, hard driving place than the undergrad. Don't know if that is true at other Ivies.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NYU SPS Guaranteed Admission Program smartdegree 6 494 04-07-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  CEE Admission at UIUC RED_Monster_2555 7 456 03-27-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Some schools require academic reference for grad school admission? cjl2190 5 1,434 07-13-2015, 12:32 PM
Last Post: cookderosa