Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Most Successful People Explain Why a College Degree is USELESS
I think the best profession to get into if you want to make good money, and don't want a degree - sales. I've known a lot of sales people who make a lot of money yet don't have degrees. I know a couple who've made more than a million dollars in a single good year. If you're willing to risk it, by taking part of your salary as base (anywhere from 0-50%), and the rest in commission, you can be very successful.

I also know successful business owners of all kinds who don't have degrees. The richest person I know has an electrical contracting company. He started as an apprentice and then went out on his own 2-3 years later. He also worked a gazillion hours a week, and didn't take a vacation for 20 years...

The people in both categories are not dumb, and do value education - it's just that they learn as much as they need to know, and continue doing what they're good at. I actually think this is what most people do in life anyway.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Sanantone is right about people making $100-200k. They're generally educated. It doesn't matter if Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg doesn't have a degree. You're not Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg. What are YOU (anyone, not just the OP) going to do? Making $100-200k is probably a realistic goal for you - if you have the required education. Sales? It's great for a few people. Sales has a high washout rate. Make your quota and they raise it. Getting an education for an upper middle class job is a surer bet to a realistically nice standard of living.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
[-] The following 2 users Like clep3705's post:
  • Ideas, jsd
Prior to taking my academic sabbatical, I was making well above $100K annually without a degree of any kind. In fact, the only reason I can afford to take the time off to be able to focus on my education now, despite living in a city with one of the highest costs of living in the world, is because I was able to save up enough to not need to worry about working for a while.

The point being, a degree doesn't always matter. Career success is all about having the right combination of ambition, drive, and skills. It also helps to have a good network, though that is a weakness for me since I always felt it was a waste of time to go to networking events or much effort into building connections.

Of course, there are also hiring managers and business owners who will not even consider hiring people without a degree no matter how good they may be, so that is where having the degree comes in handy; it gets you in the door, you still have to prove yourself once you walk through.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(12-01-2018, 05:38 PM)Merlin Wrote: Prior to taking my academic sabbatical, I was making well above $100K annually without a degree of any kind. In fact, the only reason I can afford to take the time off to be able to focus on my education now, despite living in a city with one of the highest costs of living in the world, is because I was able to save up enough to not need to worry about working for a while.

The point being, a degree doesn't always matter. Career success is all about having the right combination of ambition, drive, and skills. It also helps to have a good network, though that is a weakness for me since I always felt it was a waste of time to go to networking events or much effort into building connections.

Of course, there are also hiring managers and business owners who will not even consider hiring people without a degree no matter how good they may be, so that is where having the degree comes in handy; it gets you in the door, you still have to prove yourself once you walk through.

When you're in IT, it's possible to make six figures without a degree even though that's becoming increasingly difficult. However, there aren't enough jobs for everyone to go into IT. 

I always discount six figure incomes in areas with a high cost of living. $100k in Los Angeles is the equivalent of $68k in Austin, and Austin has one of the higher costs of living in Texas.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(12-02-2018, 01:49 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-01-2018, 05:38 PM)Merlin Wrote: Prior to taking my academic sabbatical, I was making well above $100K annually without a degree of any kind. In fact, the only reason I can afford to take the time off to be able to focus on my education now, despite living in a city with one of the highest costs of living in the world, is because I was able to save up enough to not need to worry about working for a while.

When you're in IT, it's possible to make six figures without a degree even though that's becoming increasingly difficult. However, there aren't enough jobs for everyone to go into IT. 

I always discount six figure incomes in areas with a high cost of living. $100k in Los Angeles is the equivalent of $68k in Austin, and Austin has one of the higher costs of living in Texas.
I don't disagree... location has a huge impact on salary ranges. Dollar for dollar I can make more here in San Francisco than I did when I was on the east coast, but after you compensate for the cost of living, my net income was higher when I lived back east.

Of course, I don't work in IT but the same principles apply. SF is also a bit of an odd duck since the tech job market is hypercompetitive for top candidates.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(11-30-2018, 07:55 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(11-30-2018, 07:45 PM)jsd Wrote: A bunch of folks with mostly advanced degrees at prestigious institutions (except for a few of them here or there... 50 cent, Jay Z, Zuckerberg (Harvard dropout), etc) telling us that college isn't important.... Hrm...

I'd be more interested in hearing from people who make $100k-$200k. That's more attainable for the average or slightly above average person and doesn't rely heavily on luck and connections. I'd bet most of the people in this income range are computer scientists/IT professionals, upper management, healthcare professionals, lawyers, professors, and engineers. Some of them might have small but successful businesses.

I'm one of them. I make $158K as a Captain on a Citation X business jet.  The degree isn't required for the charter level of aviation, but it is for the airlines.  Having said that, my position required multiple licenses and heavy studying.  Hence...why i'm here and finishing my degree should I want to continue applying to the airlines.
[-] The following 2 users Like learflyer's post:
  • jsd, sanantone

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 581 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 258 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 596 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,686 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,177 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,531 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 565 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,924 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 229 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 495 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill