Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"There’s no need to replace your beef burger"
So, I'm not "vegan" or anything remotely close, not even vegetarian... but I like trying "Beyond" style burgers where they don't use meat.  Having read the article, I just noticed the amount of Sodium in that thing!  Heck, what the hey, wouldn't half the sodium or something cut it?  I'll have to think more on what I eat now... I've never done a nutritional evaluation, I should do what the wife does, check ingredients and then buy! (I instead just grab whatever I want at the groceries... gotta love my chocolates and other snacks!) - Link: https://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/a21...gredients/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I tried a beyond burger
I think they smell putrid
I thought maybe its just the way I was cooking it
but a couple of weeks later I walked into the grocery store and recognized the same smell IMMEDIATELY
the store was cooking small samples of beyond meat on a hot plate and giving them out

every youtube video review and taste test I've seen says it tastes just like a real burger, so it must be just me, but I think they stink -- stink so bad I had to walk out the store

never tried an impossible burger though
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • ss20ts
My issue as a diabetic - they have carbs!  Animal-based proteins do not have carbs.  If I want a burger, I normally only have to take into account the bun, and I can skip that if I want to (lettuce wrap, etc.).  With these fake meats, you can't get away from the carbs.

Impossible Burger: 9g carbs to 19g protein (terrible ratio for what's supposed to be protein)
Beyond Burger: 5g carbs to 20g protein (not great, but not horrible)

No thank you!  I'll stick to lean animal-based protein.

EDIT TO ADD: a 6oz steak has 42g of protein and 0g of carbs; a 6oz piece of chicken breast has 54g of protein; a 6oz piece of Salmon has 34g of protein; and a 6oz piece of pork loin has 42g of protein.  So those plant based proteins don't even have much protein in them! Yikes!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
You're so right! It seemed like a great alternative when they hit the market... but I can't get over the ingredients or the smell, smh
I actually do like the taste! But I was a vegetarian for many years and can only tolerate the taste of actual beef in small amounts. Plus, I am on a very low carb diet (about 20 to 30 g a day, though that does not include fiber) for medical reasons. Chicken, turkey, bison, etc. are too lean to provide enough calories on their own. Salmon is nice but I don't want to eat it every single day. So beyond burgers are a nice way to mix things up.

I was never under the impression that beyond burgers were supposed to be "healthier" than beef burgers. More that they were an alternative for people who don't want to eat beef or want to reduce their beef consumption for ethical or environmental reasons. Interestingly, I recently read that there is a rise in meat allergies (literally, being allergic to the proteins in meat--meat allergies can be caused by certain tick-borne illnesses, and the kind of ticks that pass them are currently thriving), so it might be nice for people like that too.

For myself, I am not worried about the sodium as I have low blood pressure. But like any food, I'm sure there are people who should avoid beyond burgers due to the sodium, sensitivities to ingredients, or the fat content/composition.
(05-02-2021, 12:56 PM)wow Wrote: ... I was never under the impression that beyond burgers were supposed to be "healthier" than beef burgers. More that they were an alternative for people who don't want to eat beef or want to reduce their beef consumption for ethical or environmental reasons... 

I am almost 100% vegetarian (I don't always check ingredient labels) and I use this product, and others like it, just to vary my diet.  I don't think of it as being healthier than meat, it's just an alternative for someone who doesn't eat meat.  My reasons for adopting a vegetarian diet are ethical/religious but I believe there are some health benefits.  While the number of vegetarian/vegan people has increased in recent years I don't think there's any danger to you carnivores losing your meat sources.  The prices seem rather high though and my guess is that those numbers will continue to rise.  The economics of meat production may not be sustainable at this level
Mission 2015: Meat Production (mit.edu)

[Image: 5007489.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • inkleind
I'm a big big fan of the Impossible burgers, it's all we cook at home now.