Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Boil(er)s My Blood
Quote:Purdue’s Back a Boiler program, launched in 2016, offers ISAs to students seeking alternatives to traditional federal and private student loans. Feldman's son took out a $10,373 ISA for the 2018-19 academic year, and a $29,491 ISA for the 2019-2020 year, according to documentation seen by Yahoo Finance.

That $39,864 loan ballooned to $99,660.50 as of January 2022.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/purdue-in...57798.html

This seems doubly remarkable considering that for much of the intervening period, there has been stop on interest accrual. Fine, I get that people need to read the fine print and all, but having this kind of thing branded by the university, apparently contrary to the law, is inexcusable.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • jsd
I view ISAs with a lot of suspicion, and don't think I would ever use one myself, but I notice in that entire article they don't once state the terms of the ISAs the student took out, or his current income.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
That $99,660.50 isn't from interest, though, is it? I think it's an estimated total based on a percentage of his current income -- the basic premise of an income share agreement.

That being said, I'm unsure why a university like Purdue (not PUG) can't provide more funding in the form of institutional grants and scholarships.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(04-04-2022, 11:37 AM)carrythenothing Wrote: That $99,660.50 isn't from interest, though, is it? I think it's an estimated total based on a percentage of his current income -- the basic premise of an income share agreement.

No, it's not. If you follow the link in the article (that's why I included the link) you can see that they simply expect to collect a percentage (3.11% in the example in the link) of whatever you make. Of course, their example is contrived to make it look cheaper than a regular loan. It likely became even bigger because of the big rise in salaries that has happened in tech over the last two years. The way I see it, the lender is raking in a huge windfall that they did lttle to earn, even granting that they are taking on some risk from students who fail to become fully employed. Of course, considering that not many Purdue graduates are likely to fail to get a decent job, the risk seems pretty damned low.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?