Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses
I've been a little surprised that there doesn't seem to be more discussion directly between Shmoop and TESU. I would think that before doing something like adding proctoring, Shmoop would want to KNOW that TESU (or other schools) would respond with acceptance of the courses. Now maybe there has been and everyone is just being quiet about it until TESU finishes reevaluating.

Study.com, for instance, was very proactive, and said so, when their courses were downgraded. However, they have an affiliate relationship with TESU that Shmoop doesn't.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • jsd
Anyone every hear anything on this one? Unfortunately I had to take a break beginning in April from my process and have three Shmoop courses on my ACE transcript that were never sent to TESU. They are from before the "ban" but Im not sure if that will matter. They were three good ones too(Accounting, Finance and Comparitive Politics). Im beginning to ramp back up, working on Public Speaking and Statistics currently, but wondering what I should do with these 9 credits I thought I had in the bag already...
(07-23-2018, 11:49 PM)scaffdog Wrote: Anyone every hear anything on this one?  Unfortunately I had to take a break beginning in April from my process and have three Shmoop courses on my ACE transcript that were never sent to TESU.  They are from before the "ban" but Im not sure if that will matter.  They were three good ones too(Accounting, Finance and Comparitive Politics).  Im beginning to ramp back up, working on Public Speaking and Statistics currently, but wondering what I should do with these 9 credits I thought I had in the bag already...

You can either wait to see if TESU changes their policy (I doubt yours will come in though), or just take those courses over again with another provider.

Saylor has those, so you might be able to just pay the $25 and pass the final exam without much study since you already took the courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
So I had my UL English Shmoop courses completed, sent to TESU, and on my transcript just WEEKS before TESU announced they would no longer accept Shmoop courses.  
If I wanted to earn a second BA in English, would TESU even realize that these were Shmoop courses and not allow them to be applied to another degree, or would they not notice the credits were from Shmoop?  
Would it matter, since the course were completed and accepted before TESU stopped accepting Shmoop, or could they decide they won't apply them because I am earning a different degree?
Thanks for your thoughts!
2018 TESU GRADUATE
BALS-SOCIAL SCIENCE 
CLEP:
A&I Literature 68  Intro to Sociology 61  Human Gr & Dev 70  Intro to Educational Psychology 68
Prin. of Management 71  Prin. of Marketing  72
ALEKS:
Interm. Algebra  73%
Sophia:
Dev. Effective Teams  96%
The Institutes:
Ethics & CPCU Code of Prof. Conduct  76%
Shmoop:
Modern European History  84%  Literature in the Media  82%  Holocaust Lit  90%
Women's Lit  87%  Shakespeare's Plays  87%
Straighterline:
Western Civ I  93%  Intro to Nutrition  87%  Macroecon  86%  Microecon  90%
Intro to Environmental Science  89%  Western Civ II  91%   Intro to Religion  98%
Cultural Anthropology  95%  US History I  90%  US History II  93%
Intro to Communication  93%  Organizational Behavior  91%
Study.com
Personal Finance  98%  History of the Vietnam War  97%  Abnormal Psychology  94%
Social Psychology  92%  Civil War & Reconstruction  87%   Human & Cultural Geography  94%
Ed4Credit
Aging & Society  97%
TESU
Capstone  100%
B&M Colleges
42 credits
(07-26-2018, 08:45 PM)KAnn Wrote: So I had my UL English Shmoop courses completed, sent to TESU, and on my transcript just WEEKS before TESU announced they would no longer accept Shmoop courses.  
If I wanted to earn a second BA in English, would TESU even realize that these were Shmoop courses and not allow them to be applied to another degree, or would they not notice the credits were from Shmoop?  
Would it matter, since the course were completed and accepted before TESU stopped accepting Shmoop, or could they decide they won't apply them because I am earning a different degree?

Yes, they would know that they were Shmoop courses, but I'm not certain that they wouldn't apply them to your second degree.  It seems like once things are on there, they're on there for good, but that's only for sure on a current degree.

What is your first degree in?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks for your input!
earned my BALS with a concentration in Social Science.
2018 TESU GRADUATE
BALS-SOCIAL SCIENCE 
CLEP:
A&I Literature 68  Intro to Sociology 61  Human Gr & Dev 70  Intro to Educational Psychology 68
ALEKS:
Interm. Algebra  73%
Sophia:
The Institutes:
Shmoop:
Straighterline:
Intro to Environmental Science  89%  Western Civ II  91%   Intro to Religion  98%
Study.com
Personal Finance  98%  History of the Vietnam War  97%  Abnormal Psychology  94%
Social Psychology  92%  Civil War & Reconstruction  87%   Human & Cultural Geography  94%
Ed4Credit
Aging & Society  97%
TESU
Capstone  100%
B&M Colleges
42 credits
(07-26-2018, 08:45 PM)KAnn Wrote: So I had my UL English Shmoop courses completed, sent to TESU, and on my transcript just WEEKS before TESU announced they would no longer accept Shmoop courses.  

Your Shmoop courses likely would not be used in your AOS because you need to have 24 NEW credits in the AOS. So the credits not being used in this case would have nothing to do with them being Shmoop, but that they were earned prior to the new degree in English.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Your Shmoop courses likely would not be used in your AOS because you need to have 24 NEW credits in the AOS. So the credits not being used in this case would have nothing to do with them being Shmoop, but that they were earned prior to the new degree in English.

Good point! Thank you!
2018 TESU GRADUATE
BALS-SOCIAL SCIENCE 
CLEP:
ALEKS:
Interm. Algebra  73%
Sophia:
The Institutes:
Shmoop:
Straighterline:
Study.com
Ed4Credit
Aging & Society  97%
TESU
Capstone  100%
B&M Colleges
42 credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,446 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 998 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 712 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,385 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,913 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,048 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,090 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 599 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 340 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 716 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat