Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goal: Music Teacher
My son's very good friend asked me tonight about becoming a music teacher. My brother is a music teacher, but he did it the hard (and long and expensive) way, and knows nothing about alternative credits. Off the top of your head, can anyone think of a school that is alternative-credit-friendly and or via distance learning that would work for a degree in music ed? We are in North Carolina, so I'm sure he'll want to teach here. Our UNC programs are pretty cut and dry, so those I can help him with- but I'll take other suggestions to him as well.
Valley City State University is the only regionally and NASM (national association of schools of music) accredited program I could find besides the hyper-expensive Berklee:

http://www.vcsu.edu/academics/music/onli...ic-program

While this would not get you music ed, one could then complete  rio salado's post-baccaulaureate teacher education program in music: http://www.riosalado.edu/programs/educat...music.aspx
[-] The following 2 users Like cannoda's post:
  • acamp, cookderosa
TESU has a BA in Music, which should work for for a music teacher. I don't know where you'd find the credits, though.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • cookderosa
How about WGU to become a licensed teacher, and then a MA in Music somewhere (maybe the Rio Salado program after he's done?)?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-01-2018, 10:06 PM)davewill Wrote: TESU has a BA in Music, which should work for for a music teacher. I don't know where you'd find the credits, though.

There is a TECEP for Music History 2, and music courses are pretty common at community colleges from what I've seen. I'm taking Music Theory as an elective at a CC right now, for example.

Not saying that's how they should go, just throwing out some credit options for the TESU BA in Music.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(11-01-2018, 10:06 PM)davewill Wrote: TESU has a BA in Music, which should work for for a music teacher. I don't know where you'd find the credits, though.

I think that would be a hard one.  You need specific courses, and then electives for a total of 30cr, 15cr of which would have to be UL.

The only inexpensive option (and that's relative) for UL music courses is BYU - but only if he plays the organ (or wants to learn)!  $3,467 for 6 courses UL (about $182/cr x 19cr).  And the 1st level prereq is "basic piano skills."

And not even kidding, I just found a used organ on Craigslist in my area for $1!

A few more courses:

SecularCourses.com, $150/course last time I checked
- The Music of the Orthodox Jew from Antiquity through the 20th Century (MUS-301) - UL

CSU-Pueblo, $555/course last time I checked
- MUS 491: Special Topics: World Music (UL) -

U of Idaho IS, $510/course last I checked
- MusH 101: Survey of Music
- MusH 201: History of Rock and Roll
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
It's in Michigan and isn't exactly the cheapest option. But Spring Arbor University offers a BA in music education. They also allow up to 90 college credits to be allowed transfer for a Bachelors degree. They are listed on both the ACE and NCCRS website of partner schools.

On the ACE website it says this:

Prior Learning Options:
- ACE Military Occupational Specialties
- ACE Military Training
- ACE Workforce/Corporate
- Advanced Placement (AP)
- Challenge Exams - CLEP
- GED College + Credit
- GED College Ready
- International Baccalaureate (IB)
- Online Education Provider
- Portfolio Evaluations

To give you an idea TESU doesn't even say all of those things on their ACE page. I have yet to find a college list this many things as accepted.

https://www.arbor.edu/program/secondary-...education/

They also give really good financial aid.

I do not attend this school, but I have applied and been accepted there. I asked about alternative credit and they said you would have to talk to a counselor.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • cookderosa
TESU accepts all of those; they just simplify things by saying they accept ACE-evaluated credits.

People normally finish the BA in Music at TESU by portfolio assessment.

Berklee's online tuition isn't terrible. You can always test out of as many credits as possible for the TESU program and take music courses at Berklee or some other school to transfer in whatever else you need. You can also take Berklee's MOOCs and possibly use those for PLAs.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • cookderosa
You can't be a music teacher (at least a public school) without a teaching certificate. A degree in music alone won't cut it most places. However, there are lots of alternative route to certification programs or you could do a post-baccalaureate teaching certificate. There is always WGU for a post bach. teaching cert. I just suggested Spring Arbor because they offered a music education degree.
(11-02-2018, 04:37 PM)natshar Wrote: You can't be a music teacher (at least a public school) without a teaching certificate. A degree in music alone won't cut it most places. However, there are lots of alternative route to certification programs or you could do a post-baccalaureate teaching certificate. There is always WGU for a post bach. teaching cert. I just suggested Spring Arbor because they offered a music education degree.

I was more thinking about alternative teacher certification programs. However, an undergraduate program or a post-baccalaureate program that leads to certification would be best if someone can afford to quit their job during the student teaching period. It can be hard to find schools that will accept applicants with temporary license, especially if they're not STEM, ESL, or special education teachers.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • natshar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have a new goal nomaduser 5 623 11-14-2023, 02:52 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Reached my goal, for now upgrayedd 1 344 06-21-2023, 02:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Alternative Teacher Licensure rlw74 10 1,511 02-08-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: hennygrean
  Abandoned Hymns Bring New Life to Our Christian Worship Music from Olivet University jacobmark 0 404 08-26-2022, 04:59 PM
Last Post: jacobmark
  Teacher with $303,000 in student debt... bjcheung77 13 1,813 06-08-2022, 09:22 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  Credit-by-exam For Music Degree JimmyNeutron 11 2,536 03-30-2021, 06:07 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  British Music Diplomas KayV 2 1,508 12-22-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: Seagull
  Troops to Teacher warriortaupou 4 1,016 09-29-2020, 12:45 AM
Last Post: warriortaupou
Rainbow Becoming A Teacher Accountability livelovelaugh91897 4 1,715 09-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: warriortaupou
  Accounting courses ultimate goal cpa Motivated2move 16 2,774 06-24-2019, 07:10 PM
Last Post: davewill