Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transferring credits *to* University of the People
Over the holidays I applied to University of the People on a bit of a whim for the BS in Health Sciences. I am not concerned about it being an NA school since I already have an RA degree, just thought it would be a fun way to take  courses I otherwise might not have the opportunity to take. I also have experience with peer-review grading through EdX and generally like that system as I feel it helps me better learn the subject matter.

However, I am having an issue with transferring credits in. None of my science courses were accepted as science credits and none of my social science courses were accepted as social sciences. That means that they accepted two courses (one of which was a social science) as meeting their humanities requirement and put the rest as "general elective." With that, I have not maxed out the 50% credit maximum, much less the "exceptional cases" 75% credit transfer I was hoping to achieve. (At UofPeople's price, I am really okay with getting fewer credits than 75%, but I do *not* want to repeat courses I've already taken, especially if they're unrelated to the major.)

I appealed the decision but keep getting emails from my "advisor" with a canned message along the lines of: "Great news! Your transfer credits have been approved; please log in to review the decision and and pay the fee." (It's a $17 fee per transferred course, which I have no problem with.) However, I go to my transfer page and there's no indication my appeal has been considered. None of the credit allocations have changed, and I haven't gotten an email back from whomever considers the appeal.

I have responded 3x to the advisor's emails explaining I have appealed the transfer credit decision; when and how should I expect a response? Is the inaction the only response I'm going to get? (I say it more nicely than that.) Knowing this would be important because there is a limited time frame in which to pay once you get your decision.

Her reply is always the same canned message along the lines of: "Great news! Your transfer credits have been approved; please log in to review the decision and and pay the fee."

Since I can't get an answer from her, has anyone here appealed a transfer decision with UofPeople? If so, how long did it take to get a response, and who did you get it from?
(01-28-2020, 12:12 PM)wow Wrote: Over the holidays I applied to University of the People on a bit of a whim for the BS in Health Sciences. I am not concerned about it being an NA school since I already have an RA degree, just thought it would be a fun way to take  courses I otherwise might not have the opportunity to take. I also have experience with peer-review grading through EdX and generally like that system as I feel it helps me better learn the subject matter.

However, I am having an issue with transferring credits in. None of my science courses were accepted as science credits and none of my social science courses were accepted as social sciences. That means that they accepted two courses (one of which was a social science) as meeting their humanities requirement and put the rest as "general elective." With that, I have not maxed out the 50% credit maximum, much less the "exceptional cases" 75% credit transfer I was hoping to achieve. (At UofPeople's price, I am really okay with getting fewer credits than 75%, but I do *not* want to repeat courses I've already taken, especially if they're unrelated to the major.)

I appealed the decision but keep getting emails from my "advisor" with a canned message along the lines of: "Great news! Your transfer credits have been approved; please log in to review the decision and and pay the fee." (It's a $17 fee per transferred course, which I have no problem with.) However, I go to my transfer page and there's no indication my appeal has been considered. None of the credit allocations have changed, and I haven't gotten an email back from whomever considers the appeal.

I have responded 3x to the advisor's emails explaining I have appealed the transfer credit decision; when and how should I expect a response? Is the inaction the only response I'm going to get? (I say it more nicely than that.) Knowing this would be important because there is a limited time frame in which to pay once you get your decision.

Her reply is always the same canned message along the lines of: "Great news! Your transfer credits have been approved; please log in to review the decision and and pay the fee."

Since I can't get an answer from her, has anyone here appealed a transfer decision with UofPeople? If so, how long did it take to get a response, and who did you get it from?

I have had a similar problem with them. It can take a month for someone to get back to you regarding transfer credit. I ended up paying over $100 and they only do the credit evaluation ONCE.  I ended up deciding not to go there because they don't have as much flexibility. You'll also have to complete the foundation courses before you even start.

If you already have a degree, I wonder if applying for a master's would be an option instead. I don't think they would stop you from taking undergraduate courses if you were accepted and it would save you from having to take Calculus, statistics, English 101, etc. You would still have to take the introductory course before starting, I think.

However, I'm not sure if this will work, so make sure to ask.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(01-28-2020, 08:56 PM)udi Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 12:12 PM)wow Wrote: Over the holidays I applied to University of the People on a bit of a whim for the BS in Health Sciences. I am not concerned about it being an NA school since I already have an RA degree, just thought it would be a fun way to take  courses I otherwise might not have the opportunity to take. I also have experience with peer-review grading through EdX and generally like that system as I feel it helps me better learn the subject matter.

I have had a similar problem with them. It can take a month for someone to get back to you regarding transfer credit. I ended up paying over $100 and they only do the credit evaluation ONCE.  I ended up deciding not to go there because they don't have as much flexibility. You'll also have to complete the foundation courses before you even start.

If you already have a degree, I wonder if applying for a master's would be an option instead. I don't think they would stop you from taking undergraduate courses if you were accepted and it would save you from having to take Calculus, statistics, English 101, etc. You would still have to take the introductory course before starting, I think.

However, I'm not sure if this will work, so make sure to ask.

Thanks for your reply, Udi. Did you appeal your transfer credit decision? If so, did they get back to you by email or through the portal?

U of People has updated its transfer policy so you can apply for transfer credits after enrollment, as well, even if you have already had some credits approved. Apparently you can also apply for a refund on any transfer feed you paid if you decide not to get your degree from U of People. Not sure how, though.

I did have my previous Statistics, math, and English courses count toward the foundations courses/major prerequisites, which was good. Obviously there is no way out of the "Succeeding at U of People" course or whatever they call it. I would love to go ahead and get a start on that while these transfer courses are figured out, but it seems I can't enroll in anything until the transfer credits are settled. I guess if I had applied for transfer credits post enrollment I could have avoided this issue, but then I also might have had to take English Comp again, which I'd rather not do.

I was under the impression that U of People has a very particular course sequence, so it would be hard to take undergrad classes as a graduate. If anyone on this forum has tried that, I would love to hear about it.

I may just try switching to the AS in Health Science degree if I can't get the transfer credits figured out. I suppose Walden is also an option since they have a competency-based Health Science degree and they've been offering 50% off tuition with that, but then I would want to rush the coursework to make it work out financially, and since I already have a full-time course load this semester plus work, I don't think that would be a great idea.
I just gave up after nobody got back to me. We don't know much about UOTP because it's so new.
OnlineDegree

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
I tried UotP a while back and dealing with them just wasn’t pleasant.
TESU September 2020 Graduate
Bachelor of Arts  in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
(01-31-2020, 10:50 AM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote: I tried UotP a while back and dealing with them just wasn’t pleasant.

(01-31-2020, 04:52 AM)udi Wrote: I just gave up after nobody got back to me. We don't know much about UOTP because it's so new.

Thanks for your input, udi and BrighterFuture88. BrighterFuture88, did you take any classes, or just apply?

I did finally hear back about the transfer credit appeal. Weird thing is, I received an email about it from my advisor at the same time that I received an email from her that totally ignored my questions about the appeal. I am starting to wonder if advisors are actual individuals, or if they are just "personas" and several different individuals are responsible for keeping up with their emails. I also wonder if they are authorized to give any individualized answers, or they just have to cut and paste answers based on keywords.

Maybe they are all bots.

In any case, my appeal was mostly ignored. One course was recategorized, but not in any way that would make it easier to fulfill my degree requirements.

Since I now know what a mess the transfer and appeals process can be, my plan is to withdraw the request, since up for the Foundations course I haven't taken elsewhere, and then reapply for transfer credits. I am in CC now and taking several courses that are exact matches for UoP classes. When those are done, I will request transfer credit but focus on the "matching" courses, listing them first (because UoP does seem to consider courses in the order you list them, prioritizing those at the top of the list). I'll see if it goes any better, and if it does, I just *might* enroll, haha.
I am currently doing UoPeople courses for transfer credits. The advisor and transfer format is so awful that I cannot imagine actually graduating from there. I have decided they are only useful for gaining credits to transfer out, and only then just barely. They put me in a class I did not need and couldn’t drop. I am hoping my master program will let me use it as an elective somehow.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(02-01-2020, 05:31 PM)SweetSecret Wrote: I am currently doing UoPeople courses for transfer credits. The advisor and transfer format is so awful that I cannot imagine actually graduating from there. I have decided they are only useful for gaining credits to transfer out,  and only then just barely. They put me in a class I did not need and couldn’t drop. I am hoping my master program will let me use it as an elective somehow.

That's interesting. What schools will accept credits from University of the People? Since they are nationally accredited, I didn't think there were many.

Sounds like you are in one of the master's programs. Which one, and what courses have you taken so far? Was the class they put you in one of the Foundations courses that they require everyone to take? Or is that how they do course signups—the advisor assigns you courses vs you selecting them?

I am always full of questions Smile
(02-01-2020, 03:41 PM)wow Wrote:
(01-31-2020, 10:50 AM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote: I tried UotP a while back and dealing with them just wasn’t pleasant.

(01-31-2020, 04:52 AM)udi Wrote: I just gave up after nobody got back to me. We don't know much about UOTP because it's so new.

Thanks for your input, udi and BrighterFuture88. BrighterFuture88, did you take any classes, or just apply?

I did finally hear back about the transfer credit appeal. Weird thing is, I received an email about it from my advisor at the same time that I received an email from her that totally ignored my questions about the appeal. I am starting to wonder if advisors are actual individuals, or if they are just "personas" and several different individuals are responsible for keeping up with their emails. I also wonder if they are authorized to give any individualized answers, or they just have to cut and paste answers based on keywords.

Maybe they are all bots.

In any case, my appeal was mostly ignored. One course was recategorized, but not in any way that would make it easier to fulfill my degree requirements.

Since I now know what a mess the transfer and appeals process can be, my plan is to withdraw the request, since up for the Foundations course I haven't taken elsewhere, and then reapply for transfer credits. I am in CC now and taking several courses that are exact matches for UoP classes. When those are done, I will request transfer credit but focus on the "matching" courses, listing them first (because UoP does seem to consider courses in the order you list them, prioritizing those at the top of the list). I'll see if it goes any better, and if it does, I just *might* enroll, haha.

I took some courses from them and hated it.  It just wasn’t for me.
TESU September 2020 Graduate
Bachelor of Arts  in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
If they are all bots, that would explain all of the problems I was having. I thought at first they didn't speak English very well because they didn't understand the questions and would answer something else.
OnlineDegree

Study

Saylor.org

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 230 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,623 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,563 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  American Public University? nomaduser 33 2,942 03-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 605 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,246 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,618 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 353 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,350 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 483 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar