Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two AOS within one degree
Do the dual majors share residency requirements and capstones?
That looks relatively achievable, especially with study.com but would it be 16 required for residency or does it double? I assume the capstone stays the same and becomes part of the 9 credits overlap? Or the capstone is not considered as part of the 9 credits overlap?
It is a tempting option, with 10 courses from degree, 24 more seem achievable. Probably the second one I'd pick psychology or history. Or a BALS.
What is your first AOS?
I'm not sure why you'd pick a BALS when you're going for another degree. A BALS degree is not going to be worth as much, in most cases, as a specific subject degree.
(07-10-2020, 04:11 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I'm not sure why you'd pick a BALS when you're going for another degree. A BALS degree is not going to be worth as much, in most cases, as a specific subject degree.

A BALS in combination with another degree is almost always a terrible idea. Better to just get the other degree and forget the BALS since it is generally only used as a checkbox degree anyway.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • ss20ts
(07-10-2020, 04:11 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I'm not sure why you'd pick a BALS when you're going for another degree. A BALS degree is not going to be worth as much, in most cases, as a specific subject degree.

Psychology or history are my first picks. Really BALS has never been my choice, I added it as a choice as it seems a suggestion here and there on the forum but never liked it as too vague of a degree.

(07-09-2020, 10:58 PM)natshar Wrote: What is your first AOS?

BA in English.

I could easily pair it with foreign languages too.

(07-10-2020, 05:02 AM)Merlin Wrote:

A BALS in combination with another degree is almost always a terrible idea. Better to just get the other degree and forget the BALS since it is generally only used as a checkbox degree anyway.
I agree, I added it afterward as a choice but really never liked it, I was only exploring what gives me the max overlap of credits based on credits I already have, plus I don't care to take more than one algebra course if I don't have to.
Go for a master's instead of a second bachelor's degree.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • tesu-acct-student
I did exactly this, with History and Psychology. Disclaimers: I'm assuming you're talking about TESU, and that nothing has changed since my catalog (I think my catalog year was 2018? I can't remember for sure).

I did only one capstone. My professor didn't care that my topic relate to both areas of study, but I've heard that some others might want you to pick a topic that touches on both. The Capstone was considered part of the nine credits of overlap. Residency requirement was shared - for me, that meant I took 16 credits at TESU between the two degrees (the old one-credit cornerstone, a three-credit history class, a six-credit psych class, a math class, and the capstone).

If you're going to do this route, history will be easier than psychology, as there are fewer courses in the area of study.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Yes, you only do one capstone. Yes, residency requirements also stay the same.

Cost-wise it seems wise to do a second AOS. I think it can give you a little more job flexibility or a backup option. But it depends on the major. History majors typically have few job options that use that knowledge.

I agree; you might as well get a second AOS when going for your first; it'll certainly be cheaper than a master's. But that presumes that both AOS are worthwhile. I would probably do Psychology and English, personally, if you can do the required CLEP.
(07-10-2020, 11:23 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: I did exactly this, with History and Psychology. Disclaimers: I'm assuming you're talking about TESU, and that nothing has changed since my catalog (I think my catalog year was 2018? I can't remember for sure).

I did only one capstone. My professor didn't care that my topic relate to both areas of study, but I've heard that some others might want you to pick a topic that touches on both. The Capstone was considered part of the nine credits of overlap. Residency requirement was shared - for me, that meant I took 16 credits at TESU between the two degrees (the old one-credit cornerstone, a three-credit history class, a six-credit psych class, a math class, and the capstone).

If you're going to do this route, history will be easier than psychology, as there are fewer courses in the area of study.
Correct, TESU, 2019 catalog.

(07-10-2020, 05:02 AM)Merlin Wrote:

Agree.

(07-10-2020, 02:24 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I agree; you might as well get a second AOS when going for your first; it'll certainly be cheaper than a master's. But that presumes that both AOS are worthwhile. I would probably do Psychology and English, personally, if you can do the required CLEP.
I like both psychology and English and I have taken CLEP exams for both. So that helps.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 22 252 55 minutes ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 115 4 hours ago
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 260 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,846 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 170 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 558 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 285 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  Seeking Guidance on beginning degree BeginAgain_1980 9 238 03-20-2024, 04:13 PM