Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U of the People Launches First Certificates
UoPeople just launched 9 undergraduate certificate programs in both business & health fields - with more coming soon 

https://www.uopeople.edu/programs/certificate-programs/ 

Cool
BABA, New England College, 2019
Quote:The Certificate Program does not provide transferable academic credit and is excluded from the student recognition for GPA achievements (i.e., President’s List, Dean’s List, Honor’s List).

That kind of hinders usability. Why take a non-transferable certificate at UoPeople for $400 when you can get one at Coursera or edX from a more reputable school for the same price or even less?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
This is confusing. The pages say the certificates do not lead to transferable credits and don't count toward GPA, but they call them 9-credit and 12-credit certificates, and they include the same courses that are in their degree programs. The FAQ page for the certificates says that credits can be transferred from University of the People to colleges that accept them.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • ss20ts
(06-16-2021, 06:29 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
Quote:The Certificate Program does not provide transferable academic credit and is excluded from the student recognition for GPA achievements (i.e., President’s List, Dean’s List, Honor’s List).

That kind of hinders usability. Why take a non-transferable certificate at UoPeople for $400 when you can get one at Coursera or edX from a more reputable school for the same price or even less?

Yeesh, I missed that part :/
BABA, New England College, 2019
And I thought I was the only one who read that and was confused... glad it was not me! LOL
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Are there any cousera courses that can be transfered?
(06-16-2021, 07:35 PM)msa145 Wrote:

Are there any cousera courses that can be transfered?

The only certificate on Coursera right now that is recommended for ACE credit is the Google IT Support Professional certificate. There are a couple of courses on edX that are worth credit at specific schools. But, you can also use Coursera/edX certificates to assist you to PLA credit for courses that are otherwise difficult to find and/or that are too expensive to take normally.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • msa145
There are certificate programs on edX that can be transferred to RIT and MIT. There's other schools that transfer the certificates as well.
It may have been worth the $540 if it atleast transferred into their own programs. The epidemiology and public health certificates would have been interesting.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

As someone who volunteers with University of the People, I can delve a bit into the reasoning of the certificates. They are designed for students who simply may want a unviersity level qualification or a student who already has a bachelors degree and would like to show study in a different area. Lastly they are designed for students who may are afraid to attempt university level studies and give it a try.

The certificates do not transfer as they are not credit bearing as the courses may be named the same, but the prefixes are different. The certificate versions of the same courses in either the business or healthcare programs have a c in front of them. designating them as certificate versions of the courses. The content is vastly different and shorter in the certificate courses than in the regular university courses. I hope this clarifies things as I know the website is confusing but I think the webmasters simply hurridly posted things.
Ed.D. (Capella University)
Vice Provost for Distance & Extended Education, Online Adjunct, & Instructional Design Consultant
[-] The following 3 users Like sacredrain's post:
  • harrypotter, MNomadic, sanantone

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 Certificates To Put On Your Resume In 2024 LevelUP 0 87 Yesterday, 09:15 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 1 403 02-20-2024, 01:13 AM
Last Post: mancheseter24
  Univ of People partners with Sophia.org for degree pathway! bjcheung77 3 741 05-08-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  WGU, SNHU, University of the People - Mega Universities bjcheung77 8 2,085 03-27-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Why do people drop out? Alpha 8 887 10-13-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sparcleofyumm
  Meta to offer new professional certificates through Coursera MNomadic 9 1,277 06-23-2022, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Google's new $100 million Google Career Certificates Fund MNomadic 19 2,074 05-03-2022, 09:41 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  People treating you differently since you've graduated? collegechick 29 3,310 04-24-2022, 12:20 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Tall people are more educated, short people are unhealthy bjcheung77 2 755 04-23-2022, 09:47 PM
Last Post: MrPanda