Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DBA worth it over MBA?
Hello! It's been a while. Miss this forum but been super busy. Those that remember me probably recall that I had a set goal in mind for testing out of my associates and than getting my undergrad in less than a year and masters in one term. Which this sub was invaluable and couldn't have done it without you guys. Forever grateful. I been busy working as an engineer but something been bothering me. I have an undergrad in computer science, an MBA, and was considering rounding out my education with a DBA. My end goal is to raise as high as I can in management and I don't mind working at more traditional companies instead of FAANG companies. My current employer while they told me they would reimburse a Doctorate as part of my benefits than immediately denied it after applying saying they don't see anyone in tech needing it and that unless I swap to another field in the business they wouldn't so I have to pay on my own. I am looking at south college DBA in doing and my goal is two terms for about $10k after taxes. Would I be able to leverage such a program? I'm not only looking at my current company but everyone has a masters at least and I feel like the knowledge plus some experience while I keep working could be leverage in further job hopping or promotions. Part of me also hates that I graduated very early and stop before I finish getting my doctorate (got burnt out but after a break I'm feeling rejuvenated)
(08-24-2023, 08:43 AM)maxxor6868 Wrote: Hello! It's been a while. Miss this forum but been super busy. Those that remember me probably recall that I had a set goal in mind for testing out of my associates and than getting my undergrad in less than a year and masters in one term. Which this sub was invaluable and couldn't have done it without you guys. Forever grateful. I been busy working as an engineer but something been bothering me. I have an undergrad in computer science, an MBA, and was considering rounding out my education with a DBA. My end goal is to raise as high as I can in management and I don't mind working at more traditional companies instead of FAANG companies. My current employer while they told me they would reimburse a Doctorate as part of my benefits than immediately denied it after applying saying they don't see anyone in tech needing it and that unless I swap to another field in the business they wouldn't so I have to pay on my own. I am looking at south college DBA in doing and my goal is two terms for about $10k after taxes. Would I be able to leverage such a program? I'm not only looking at my current company but everyone has a masters at least and I feel like the knowledge plus some experience while I keep working could be leverage in further job hopping or promotions. Part of me also hates that I graduated very early and stop before I finish getting my doctorate (got burnt out but after a break I'm feeling rejuvenated)

My advice is don't get out over your skis.  Many people I know who are leads or first line supervisors have a bachelors and get a masters to make the next step.  Doctorate is more for senior management, which you're not all that close to yet if you're working as a software engineer.  If you're trying to get it in a year, I'd say wait until you're a year out from a senior management/executive position.
Working Toward: ME-EM, CU Boulder (Coursera)
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
Basically... If you have the energy, money, time to spend on the education, and you think you have enough of these three to complete the degree in two sessions, you can give it a try (while working).  Realistically though, this is going to be one tough year, if you were working part time and focusing on school full time, that would be a different story, you'll have a greater chance in completing it within two sessions.

Essentially... It really depends on what you want, advice is just that, you'll get swayed in all directions... you're the one who needs to make the big decision.  From the looks of things, you dug a little deeper, thought it out a bit more, and now going for the South College DBA as I recommended on this post, your focus is to see if you have enough of the trifecta above (energy, money, time): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersity-DBA
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-24-2023, 09:24 AM)spohara Wrote:
(08-24-2023, 08:43 AM)maxxor6868 Wrote: Hello! It's been a while. Miss this forum but been super busy. Those that remember me probably recall that I had a set goal in mind for testing out of my associates and than getting my undergrad in less than a year and masters in one term. Which this sub was invaluable and couldn't have done it without you guys. Forever grateful. I been busy working as an engineer but something been bothering me. I have an undergrad in computer science, an MBA, and was considering rounding out my education with a DBA. My end goal is to raise as high as I can in management and I don't mind working at more traditional companies instead of FAANG companies. My current employer while they told me they would reimburse a Doctorate as part of my benefits than immediately denied it after applying saying they don't see anyone in tech needing it and that unless I swap to another field in the business they wouldn't so I have to pay on my own. I am looking at south college DBA in doing and my goal is two terms for about $10k after taxes. Would I be able to leverage such a program? I'm not only looking at my current company but everyone has a masters at least and I feel like the knowledge plus some experience while I keep working could be leverage in further job hopping or promotions. Part of me also hates that I graduated very early and stop before I finish getting my doctorate (got burnt out but after a break I'm feeling rejuvenated)

My advice is don't get out over your skis.  Many people I know who are leads or first line supervisors have a bachelors and get a masters to make the next step.  Doctorate is more for senior management, which you're not all that close to yet if you're working as a software engineer.  If you're trying to get it in a year, I'd say wait until you're a year out from a senior management/executive position.
True I do realize the over qualify role. This is more of a long term investment for senior management. Just like how the MBA won't be fully utilize for the mid term the long term won't be use until the DBA if I get it.

(08-24-2023, 10:13 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Basically... If you have the energy, money, time to spend on the education, and you think you have enough of these three to complete the degree in two sessions, you can give it a try (while working).  Realistically though, this is going to be one tough year, if you were working part time and focusing on school full time, that would be a different story, you'll have a greater chance in completing it within two sessions.

Essentially... It really depends on what you want, advice is just that, you'll get swayed in all directions... you're the one who needs to make the big decision.  From the looks of things, you dug a little deeper, thought it out a bit more, and now going for the South College DBA as I recommended on this post, your focus is to see if you have enough of the trifecta above (energy, money, time): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersity-DBA

Thanks for your comment! I remember you reaching out back than and I appreciate it! I didn't do it back than because I was hoping my employer would honor their benefits but they didn't. I kinda wish I started back than so I be closer to finishing now but the last is the past. I think I have to dig deep but with my experience at wgu I think I can do it again but a year instead.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU DBA $40K+ Worth it if you have tuition reimbursement? bjcheung77 2 1,426 10-19-2020, 04:00 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster