Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI BA Psych, BA English, or BLS? Minors?
Hi! I’ve been lurking a LOT and I'm finally counting up my credits and asking my questions!

So up until now, I was only considering UMPI BA in Psychology or English. I figured I could minor in whichever I didn't get the degree in, but then realized I would be spending time on extra electives just to get the minor, so it's not necessary. If anything, I can use my last few free elective slots on a Google Cert.

Recently,I saw this on the Degree Forum Wiki: "If you transfer in more than 90 credits, those excess credits may be used towards a minor." 4th sentence: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/University_of_Maine_at_Presque_Isle
So I was curious if this means a minor entirely done through Sophia is possible, even if you already have 90 credits to transfer.

While browsing I stumbled across advice from bjcheung to other potential Psychology majors that we may want to go for TESU Psychology to avoid the UMPI practicum/internship, OR go for UMPI BLS with minors in Psychology and Information Management, OR not to concentrate in Psychology if it's not needed for a specific career/master's degree.

So I am now wondering if BA English would be easier than BA Psych, or if BLS with minors in both is my best option? Or another option entirely? I am confused about what the difference is between a BA and BLS. Is one more prestigious than the other?

To sum it up, my main questions are: 1) Should I transfer more than 90 credits if I want a minor, or should I just stop doing Sophia when I hit 90? 2) What is the difference between BA and BLS? 3) Any additional info or experience to help me choose between a BA Psych, BA English, or BLS.

Your Location: Oklahoma, United States
Your Age: 23
What kind of degree do you want?: English, Psychology, Social Work, or Education is my preference based on personal interest/previous knowledge. My current career goals are teaching English as a second language, tutoring English and ACT prep remotely, and maybe teaching for an online based high school, all of which can be done with any bachelor’s degree. I have considered going on to a Master’s in TEFL (rather than the TEFL cert) or a Master’s in Social Work/Counseling, I’m not completely sure which career I want. I’m currently in a small business marketing/sales job, and thinking of getting my Piermont BOG with an emphasis in Business just to have that area of interest thrown on my resume too.

Current Regional Accredited Credits:

Rose State College, Total Credits: 20 w/o music lessons, 24 w/o repeated music lessons (most likely what will count for elective credit), 32 w all music lessons
MUS 2512 Voice, 2, B
MUS 2522 Guitar, 2, C
EDUC 1103 College/Life Strategies, 3, C
MUS 2512 Voice, 2, A
ORI 1101 College Orientation, 1, A
MCOM 1103 Intro to Mass Media, 3, P
MUS 1742 Musical Theatre Performance l, 2, C
MUS 2512 Voice, 2, A
TH 1311 Theatre Production l, 1, A
TH 1513 Acting l, 3, C
HPER 1102 First Aid, 2, C
SOC 1113 Sociology, 3, A
MUS 1752 Musical Theatre Performance ll, 2, C
MUS 2512 Voice, 2, B
MUS 2512 Voice, 2, A
(Then I failed Intro to Cinema and Intro to Asian Philosophy and dropped out…)

Sophia Credits: 6
Visual Communications, 3, 97%
Intro to Web Development, 3, 100%

CLEP Credits: 12
Comp 1 and 2, 6
Intro to Lit, 3
Growth & Human Development, 3

Budget: My parents are assisting me and anything cheaper than a traditional school sounds awesome to them, so I’m prioritizing speed, ease of class format, and useful/interesting degrees over the cheapest possible degree.
Commitments: I work full time plus an internship.
Dedicated time to study: I plan to study at least 2-3 hours a day on Mon, Tues, Thur, and Sat, probably more when I finish Sophia and start the next school.
Timeline: As fast as possible, as long as it feels manageable and not the only thing I do outside of work. Ideally, I would like to finish by the end of 2024.
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: No
BA in Psych is new.

I literally have never seen anyone finish the BA in English, almost everyone switches because its too much work/writing (shocker).
@radicallena, Great work completing the addendum, template, and providing an overview of your educational goals.  You should continue working on the trifecta of certs, degree, experience and get a balanced mix/match of the three.  I would do things a little differently, continue with the cheap/free Google certs, you can do the Pierpont BOG AAS with an Info Systems emphasis, add the UMPI AALS (for your liberal arts classes such as music & theatre, it'll be completed when you finish the BAS, so add it as a second program and forget it), lastly UMPI BAS with a double or triple minor of your choice.  It really depends on you and what you need or want...

When the time comes to do your UMPI classes, you can decide what you want, if you want to go through with UMPI for their MAOL or go with the Masters in TEFL or Psychology.  You can always change course when you are nearing the final 30 credits at UMPI, as you can take 3-4 classes towards the MAOL, you can decide when the time comes as there are options for inexpensive MAOL, Masters TEFL, MS Psych, or more.  You don't need a specific Bachelors for these, but you need to make sure the prerequisites for these degree options are completed (if any).  I would review the following two threads in detail for info on the UMPI BAS vs BLS and so on...

LevelUp - Sticky Thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...one-it-yet
nyjosh - UMPI BAS Write-Up: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ns-learned
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-25-2024, 06:39 PM)Duneranger Wrote: BA in Psych is new.

I literally have never seen anyone finish the BA in English, almost everyone switches because its too much work/writing (shocker).
Haha good to know! That narrows it down a little.
(01-25-2024, 06:58 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @radicallena, Great work completing the addendum, template, and providing an overview of your educational goals.  You should continue working on the trifecta of certs, degree, experience and get a balanced mix/match of the three.  I would do things a little differently, continue with the cheap/free Google certs, you can do the Pierpont BOG AAS with an Info Systems emphasis, add the UMPI AALS (for your liberal arts classes such as music & theatre, it'll be completed when you finish the BAS, so add it as a second program and forget it), lastly UMPI BAS with a double or triple minor of your choice.  It really depends on you and what you need or want...

When the time comes to do your UMPI classes, you can decide what you want, if you want to go through with UMPI for their MAOL or go with the Masters in TEFL or Psychology.  You can always change course when you are nearing the final 30 credits at UMPI, as you can take 3-4 classes towards the MAOL, you can decide when the time comes as there are options for inexpensive MAOL, Masters TEFL, MS Psych, or more.  You don't need a specific Bachelors for these, but you need to make sure the prerequisites for these degree options are completed (if any).  I would review the following two threads in detail for info on the UMPI BAS vs BLS and so on...

LevelUp - Sticky Thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...one-it-yet
nyjosh - UMPI BAS Write-Up: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ns-learned
Thank you!!! I've already learned a lot from you and wanted to make sure I properly filled it out (: I did look into the Pierpont to BAS path, but I saw a lot of stuff like this online: "A BAS is typically more career/field oriented and is usually a terminal degree, though not always. It's also not uncommon for the BAS to have fewer general education requirements than the BS and BA degrees. Yes, the BAS is marketable, but it may not have quite the utility as the BS or BA." I also saw a comment from @rachel83az that said, “a subject degree (like History) is usually better than a generic BALS degree - especially if it's a subject you like.” I could have misunderstood, but I took this as another vote in favor of getting a BA rather than a BLS or BAS with minors.

Also, that’s 40 extra transfer credits to meet the technical requirement of the BAS. If I end up doing a BA, I'll have wayyy more transfer credits than needed, and pretty much none of them will be used for the degree since I'll already have enough electives from B&M and Sophia. But since I'd be learning skills and earning certs, I guess there's no real harm, just would be taking some extra time to earn extra certs.

Could you please direct me to a post or provide info on which courses overlap to the MA in OL?
You're young, you can take some of that energy, time to get some certs done that have ACE credit to try offsetting the experience that you may not have, you'll also be well versed in Business, CS/IT, etc.  Many people older than you have gone through many of those cheapies/freebies on the WIKI such as Coursera, EDX, TEEX, and all.  If you go the BAS/BLS route, you have 60+ electives to take what you want, including Bridge TEFL classes in addition to the 40+ technical credits required for the BAS, you add an extra cert or two/three, these certs can give you a discount on the ACE.edu Masters.

Basically, You're going to be swayed in all directions, advice is just that, you can take it with a grain of salt and decide for yourself which one suits you more as each person has a different view on things. Technically, the AAS is a terminal degree, but many institutions allow it to be transferred into a Bachelors of choice, as long as those credits are transferable/usable, it can go towards not just the BAS but the BLS and other degrees... Get this, as long as you have the prerequisites to a Masters completed, that Masters can be in an entirely different subject area.

There are multiple avenues you can take to get to your educational goal, some people like to specifically take one subject and ladder up such as the BABA to MBA, MAOL, or another subject Masters, others like to get a BAS/BLS to minor in subjects that interest them and then go for the MBA, MAOL, or another subject matter.  The end result is the same Masters, but different pathways to get there, as the student decides which way is more effective & efficient use of their energy, money, time, to get the balanced mix/match of certs, degree, experience they can...

Now the kicker is, would you want to be taking a major, major with concentration, or minors? Think of minors as bundled packages of 18 credits, concentrations are 24 credits, majors are 30 plus credits in subject areas of interest.  If a minor is acceptable to gain entry into a Masters, having multiple minors will get you into different Masters of choice later, thus opening more doors and you would not have to take classes to bridge into those.  With just a BABA, you have limited use towards a Masters unless you have the prerequisites for that Masters completed as your elective credits during undergrad...  

3 out of 4 classes can be used from undergrad to MAOL: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid400861
Here's a read in regards to the levels of education: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid411475
An example path you may want to investigate: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid411875
Bridge TEFL https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid380902
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-01-2024, 07:03 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You're young, you can take some of that energy, time to get some certs done that have ACE credit to try offsetting the experience that you may not have, you'll also be well versed in Business, CS/IT, etc.  Many people older than you have gone through many of those cheapies/freebies on the WIKI such as Coursera, EDX, TEEX, and all.  If you go the BAS/BLS route, you have 60+ electives to take what you want, including Bridge TEFL classes in addition to the 40+ technical credits required for the BAS, you add an extra cert or two/three, these certs can give you a discount on the ACE.edu Masters.

I’m grateful for your encouragement to truly just focus on educating myself and learning new things! Many posts on here are about finishing your degree as quickly/cheaply/efficiently as possible, so I was overthinking what the best possible plan would be to get exactly the degree I want with no extra credits. I understand why some people need to do that, but I guess it’s not necessary for me. Especially since these prices are much less than traditional schools, I can take my time and explore all these cool options and certificates. I wasn't considering how young I am in the big picture, since most of my friends and classmates graduated from traditional college in the last couple years, it made me feel so "behind." I was stuck in a mindset that I'm "not able to finish college," since traditional school and deadlines were very difficult for me. But I am enjoying self paced classes so far and I'm so glad I found these options!

I can overthink like crazy, and I'm kind of weird and have fun planning/looking at degree sheets (maybe I should be an academic advisor lol). But I'm going to keep in mind that my education is not a race, and I enjoy taking these types of classes, so I can chill out and take what I’m interested in without worrying too much about going over the max transfer credits (especially with certs)! I still want to go moderately quickly, because last year I boomeranged back to my parents' house, and I feel like I need to finish my degree before I can get a better job and move to where I want to be... So everyday right now is just working at a job I dislike and working on my degree until I can start the life I really want to live and be independent again. It's all the more motivation to keep going and stay focused though!

Also, thanks for the info on Master degrees! If I end up doing Psych, I'm considering Walden and a couple others. As of right now, I think I'm becoming more interested in the English/Education route! Though I clearly have lots of time to decide. Bridge is intriguing, I also heard to keep an eye on the Cambridge CELTA. Looks like the ACE M.Ed. is the cheapest out there! I'm actually still not certain if I would need a cert and a Master's in teaching English learners... It may just depend on employers' preferences? I will research this topic more when I get bored one day haha
[-] The following 1 user Likes radicallena's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
English is a powerhouse degree. It equips you with a diverse set of job skills, including written communication, literary analysis (the examination of information), problem-solving, and critical thinking. I personally know two doctors and a few lawyers who pursued their undergraduate degrees in English.
When you study literature and the nature of language, you spend considerable time analyzing other authors' viewpoints and dissecting their thoughts, fostering the ability to listen and develop a sense of empathy. I find it to be an incredibly useful degree, and I believe you shouldn't shy away from it. You're young, have more time than some of the older folks who post on this forum, and I don't see the point of being in a rush.
While securing a job with an English degree might not be as straightforward as, for example, a nursing degree, the skills you acquire can help you find or create your own job.
I consider an English degree to be even more advantageous than psychology for the level of education you get. Even if you aspire to a future role in clinical psychology, it's not necessary to have a bachelor's degree in psychology. To practice clinical psychology, you need a master's degree, a license, and clinical hours.
If I were in your shoes, I would opt for an English degree and include science and psychology electives. Additionally, I would get business and IT certifications along the way. Also, I would probably volunteer and/or do internships in the areas I was most interested in.
Any Interdisciplinary Studies degree can be beneficial too, depending on whether you choose classes aligned with your career goals. If you're careful and selective, you might discover that a Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) with 2-3 minors is more advantageous for you than a degree with a specific major. Either way, once you've made up your mind, map out your route carefully, use Google Sheets or Excel, and stay on course. It sounds like TESU or UMPI is the way to go, but keep in mind that Liberty University (which is not often discussed on this forum due to price and a couple other issues) has a wonderful Interdisciplinary Studies program that will transfer trade school classes as credit; this is not the same as TESU's portfolio review. Good luck, and I look forward to reading updates on your journey.
(02-07-2024, 04:43 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote: English is a powerhouse degree. It equips you with a diverse set of job skills, including written communication, literary analysis (the examination of information), problem-solving, and critical thinking. When you study literature and the nature of language, you spend considerable time analyzing other authors' viewpoints and dissecting their thoughts, fostering the ability to listen and develop a sense of empathy. I find it to be an incredibly useful degree, and I believe you shouldn't shy away from it. You're young, have more time than some of the older folks who post on this forum, and I don't see the point of being in a rush.
If I were in your shoes, I would opt for an English degree and include science and psychology electives. Additionally, I would get business and IT certifications along the way. Also, I would probably volunteer and/or do internships in the areas I was most interested in.
Any Interdisciplinary Studies degree can be beneficial too, depending on whether you choose classes aligned with your career goals. If you're careful and selective, you might discover that a Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) with 2-3 minors is more advantageous for you than a degree with a specific major. Either way, once you've made up your mind, map out your route carefully, use Google Sheets or Excel, and stay on course. Good luck, and I look forward to reading updates on your journey.
Thank you! I really appreciate hearing another perspective. I completely agree with the value of an English degree. Problem is, I can't find anyone online who's finished the UMPI BA English, and any review I've found is negative. Many have said that if you're set on an English degree, go somewhere else. I don't mind extra time/writing, but I don't want to go into a program if there are profs who don't want to be there and assignments involving strangers that would be very difficult to complete... For instance, I read there is an assignment requiring 5+ strangers for a focus group, and another finding nonprofits to do complete audits and getting their top 3 board members to write thick write-ups. I could consider looking for a different school, but as I become more set on the idea of continuing after my bachelor's, I think it may be in my best interest to do UMPI as quick as I can and continue on to a Master's in English or Education.

I love to learn, but my intense planning and overthinking is slowing me down! I still fear that I won't actually finish my degree. I really want to check the box and feel accomplished, and be able to get a job I can support myself with. I will of course continue to learn after I do this! I'm hoping now that I have all my planning in one Google Sheet, I will be less tempted to look into degree options when I'm supposed to be doing Sophia lol.

I agree with your suggestion to volunteer and do internships in my areas of interest. Actually, I recently started an internship doing voice over and video production! I miss acting and singing so much, but going professional is BRUTAL. I'm hoping to get into doing voice overs, maybe invest in a home studio, and one day (soon) continue writing music and performing. These are my absolute top interests haha. But I have so many, it definitely makes career planning difficult (but exciting) when I'm pulled in so many directions. I look forward to updating on here, it feels like a bit of accountability to follow through with the plans I made!

Ok, I feel insane and hesitant to share, but here's my degree plans hahaha

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Does anyone know if Sophia's Web Development fulfills the Pierpont computer literacy requirement? Or do I need to take Intro to IT?
(02-09-2024, 02:36 PM)radicallena Wrote:
(02-07-2024, 04:43 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote: English is a powerhouse degree. It equips you with a diverse set of job skills, including written communication, literary analysis (the examination of information), problem-solving, and critical thinking. When you study literature and the nature of language, you spend considerable time analyzing other authors' viewpoints and dissecting their thoughts, fostering the ability to listen and develop a sense of empathy. I find it to be an incredibly useful degree, and I believe you shouldn't shy away from it. You're young, have more time than some of the older folks who post on this forum, and I don't see the point of being in a rush.
Any Interdisciplinary Studies degree can be beneficial too, depending on whether you choose classes aligned with your career goals. If you're careful and selective, you might discover that a Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) with 2-3 minors is more advantageous for you than a degree with a specific major. Either way, once you've made up your mind, map out your route carefully, use Google Sheets or Excel, and stay on course. Good luck, and I look forward to reading updates on your journey.
Thank you! I really appreciate hearing another perspective. I completely agree with the value of an English degree. Problem is, I can't find anyone online who's finished the UMPI BA English, and any review I've found is negative. Many have said that if you're set on an English degree, go somewhere else. I don't mind extra time/writing, but I don't want to go into a program if there are profs who don't want to be there and assignments involving strangers that would be very difficult to complete... For instance, I read there is an assignment requiring 5+ strangers for a focus group, and another finding nonprofits to do complete audits and getting their top 3 board members to write thick write-ups. I could consider looking for a different school, but as I become more set on the idea of continuing after my bachelor's, I think it may be in my best interest to do UMPI as quick as I can and continue on to a Master's in English or Education.

I love to learn, but my intense planning and overthinking is slowing me down! I still fear that I won't actually finish my degree. I really want to check the box and feel accomplished, and be able to get a job I can support myself with. I will of course continue to learn after I do this! I'm hoping now that I have all my planning in one Google Sheet, I will be less tempted to look into degree options when I'm supposed to be doing Sophia lol.

I agree with your suggestion to volunteer and do internships in my areas of interest. Actually, I recently started an internship doing voice over and video production! I miss acting and singing so much, but going professional is BRUTAL. I'm hoping to get into doing voice overs, maybe invest in a home studio, and one day (soon) continue writing music and performing. These are my absolute top interests haha. But I have so many, it definitely makes career planning difficult (but exciting) when I'm pulled in so many directions. I look forward to updating on here, it feels like a bit of accountability to follow through with the plans I made!

Ok, I feel insane and hesitant to share, but here's my degree plans hahaha

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Does anyone know if Sophia's Web Development fulfills the Pierpont computer literacy requirement? Or do I need to take Intro to IT?

I don't think the English requirements are that out of line. These sorts of things are completely normal requirements. I think yourpace CBE types are used to getting an entire bachelors degree with near zero networking or outside the module interaction. In addition, most of the people are trying to finish in literally a couple of months.  Its honestly just too much work for people who want quick and easy. It is what it is,

At a regular school and program, these assignments are totally expected and normal. At your age, I would just go to a regular college but that's me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 99 04-24-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 162 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  New Member with a UMPI Question colonelcamp 13 476 04-19-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,219 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 12 556 04-13-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 629 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,101 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 39 2,423 04-07-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: layermonkey
  UMPI Psy Degree Help Priszilla 12 979 04-06-2024, 04:37 PM
  Fastest & Easiest UMPI Bachelor's shawnette 8 417 04-05-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: ss20ts