Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI help w planning BLS Management courses
OK, I tried this before but I used the wrong forum to ask the question.

I'd like to get help with a degree plan for my 23 year old son, currently living in west Texas but returning to the San Antonio area. He formerly worked for my company in the blue collar realm but has decided to follow his passion for coaching/teaching. Thankfully, our family has a deep history in athletics, and he has opportunity possibilities to become a GA at a DI program. 

Budget: 5k
Commitments: He is currently doing food delivery to get by so he can focus on his degree. No wife, no kids, no pets...only a girlfriend that wants him to hurry up. Smile
Dedicated time to study: 30is hrs per week. More in spurts if needed.
Timeline: He needs to be completely finished by June since he has a serious potential offer already. He has quit his job to focus on this. 

I am hoping to put together a course path through Sophia first and then apply to UMPI as advised. 

Can someone point me to a spreadsheet that I can begin to fill based on suggestions? After getting this, I'd like to post his for critique. 

I'm open to any and al suggestions!

Thank you so much for your input. 

Current Sophia:

Spanish I - 3 - NOT COMPLETED
Intro to Sociology - 3 - NOT COMPLETED

The courses he has completed are:

Sophia:
Environmental Science - 3 
Algebra - 3 
Intro to Ethics - 3

NMJC:
US History II - 3

Northeast Lakeview College:
Learning Framework - 3
English Comp I - 3
US History I - 3
Texas Government - 3
Intro to Speech Communication - 3
Federal Government  - 3
General Psychology - 3

Penn Foster ACE:
Art I - 3
Management - 3 
Intro to Business - 3

Edit: It took a stab at things....let me know how I did. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...ue&sd=true
Texas A&M - Commerce - BAAS summer 2023
California Coast University - BSBA 2008

Specific Question:

Does Intro to Business or Principals of Management apply to free electives in this case? He completed those at NMJC.

Here is the wiki page for the UMPI BLS Management - https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan

It is not completely updated for the Gen Eds, as Sophia now has Bio w/lab which your son will need (as he has already completed the physical science with the Environmental). It is my understanding that he should not need any other provider beyond Sophia to complete what he needs outside of the UMPI courses themselves - https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • namwen
Would anyone be willing to take a stab at my plan? With my current set up, I have 84 possible credits to transfer. I am missing the 3 electives that have question marks by them to do through Sophia. I need to chose those but I'm a little concerned about overlap. Also, maybe suggestions for the UL credits plus core courses. I feel like I'm missing something here.

Thank you so much for your input. The link is to the spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e...xg/pubhtml

Intro to Web from Sophia is not an UL course at UMPI.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • namwen
(01-30-2023, 11:24 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Intro to Web from Sophia is not an UL course at UMPI.

Thank you so much for your input!

Do you have any other critiques on the plan on the spreadsheet? 

My concern is that we do not have the right classes somewhere on the plan. 

Also, any Sophia recommendations for UL or business core would be appreciated. My son is moving fast through the courses and j don’t want to lead him down the wrong path. I feel like I’m missing something.

I thought that Sophia's Project Management course no longer transfers in as BUS141? Other than that, I see that you should take Business Communications at Sophia.

If you want to do a couple of UL courses at SDC to get those out of the way, you can. They have courses in the major, and just UL in whatever. But really, to get the most bang for your buck, you should do all of your UL courses at UMPI.

Even if he took the next couple of months to bang out courses at Sophia, and enrolled for Spring II, he'd have to go ham to get done in a single 8week term. It's worth a shot, but hard to do.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • namwen
@newman, skip UMPI for now, put it on your back up list instead. The institution I would recommend for your son is TAMUC instead for various reasons, the main one being it's a local Texas institution, you need to review a few threads, but technically, you can transfer in 90 credits into the program using the RA/CLEP/ACE options your son currently has. A few members chose TAMUC over UMPI recently...

The kicker isn't just that, because you're in Texas, it'll be half the price of UMPI as it's $750/term at TAMUC versus $1400/session at UMPI, but the icing on the cake really is, if you plan resourcefully, the degree plan you have in place for TAMUC can be identical to the one for UMPI in regards to the 90 credits, the only difference in their degrees would be the final residency requirements!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • indigoshuffle, namwen
(02-02-2023, 12:34 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @newman, skip UMPI for now, put it on your back up list instead.  The institution I would recommend for your son is TAMUC instead for various reasons, the main one being it's a local Texas institution, you need to review a few threads, but technically, you can transfer in 90 credits into the program using the RA/CLEP/ACE options your son currently has.  A few members chose TAMUC over UMPI recently...

The kicker isn't just that, because you're in Texas, it'll be half the price of UMPI as it's $750/term at TAMUC versus $1400/session at UMPI, but the icing on the cake really is, if you plan resourcefully, the degree plan you have in place for TAMUC can be identical to the one for UMPI in regards to the 90 credits, the only difference in their degrees would be the final residency requirements!

Oh man oh man. You sent me on a journey! Thanks for the recommendation on TAMUC. I've known about the school for many years but just never considered it for his situation. I have some thinking to do here. It seems like this degree might actually be a bit better. My concern is about how quickly he could get through it. He has a short timeline. I'll know more in the next few weeks. He is trying to squeeze in the coming term.

(01-28-2023, 05:19 PM)allvia Wrote: Here is the wiki page for the UMPI BLS Management - https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan

It is not completely updated for the Gen Eds, as Sophia now has Bio w/lab which your son will need (as he has already completed the physical science with the Environmental). It is my understanding that he should not need any other provider beyond Sophia to complete what he needs outside of the UMPI courses themselves - https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents

They can use some SDC courses but from what has been reported, the SDC classes are padded with unnecessary fluff and the UMPI upper level classes are more straightforward.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 81 Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 139 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,554 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  New Member with a UMPI Question colonelcamp 13 442 04-19-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,098 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,210 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 12 524 04-13-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 614 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,096 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 39 2,394 04-07-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: layermonkey