Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Undergraduate Certificate at TESU
I know there was a recent post about someone not getting their Certificate approved and accepted even though they were enrolled at TESU. I chatted with them just now and this was the conversation:

Me:   On your site for the Undergraduate certificate in Info Systems it states:  “For non-degree enrolled students, at least 50% of the credits required for an undergraduate certificate must be earned at Thomas Edison State University.”  I take that to mean that as long as I am enrolled in a degree program (say doing my Cornerstone) that i can transfer in all the credits (if approved) to complete my certificate

Lyrisa: Are you saying that you would be earning a degree and a certificate  at the same time?

Me:  yes

Lyrisa: then yes that is correct. 

So........
I’m hesitant to plan For a cert (although we have time) based on the other poster’s experience.  What are your thoughts?

Is it just another: We will have to wait and see what TESU does the next time?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

I think the person at TESU in the previous post was wrong, and that they did not understand the rules. This is not unusual at TESU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-23-2019, 12:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think the person at TESU in the previous post was wrong, and that they did not understand the rules.  This is not unusual at TESU.

This. 

Unfortunately the evaluated credits were not, and still are not being applied to the certificate program by whoever does the evaluations at this time. The rationale so far being:

Quote:Academic policy states that at least 50% of the credits required for an undergraduate certificate or a graduate certificate must be earned at Thomas Edison State University. This means that only the following courses are approved for the certificate...Since you have 9 credits remaining (half of the remaining requirements) for the certificate...you cannot transfer anymore courses. The pending requirements must be satisfied by TESU courses or exams. 

This was in response to requesting consideration that already transferred brick and mortar exact equivalent courses be moved into the certificate, or an explanation be provided as to why they were not being applied as expected. This is when it came to light that the only reason for 9 credits remaining at this point is that they are applying this 50% policy, not that they had just been overlooked during the evaluations and not applied. Ticket closed and resolved. 

New Ticket inquiry citing to catalog and website and requesting reconsideration of applying this policy since a degree is concurrently being earned and the policy exempts the 50% requirement in such cases. Response is an email stating that the policy is being applied correctly as confirmed by the registrar and that they have closed all other pending tickets.

However, I haven't given up hope entirely just yet, because as I had mentioned in my other post the catalog clearly states that you do not need to complete 50% through TESU when you are concurrently seeking a degree and/or are willing to pay a residency waiver fee. So I do not believe the application of this policy is appropriate, but so far have not had success in getting it resolved.

I am hopeful this is some type of an error that will be resolved eventually through the appeals process. I guess we will see how it pans out.
(10-24-2019, 05:47 PM)shadowgem Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 12:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think the person at TESU in the previous post was wrong, and that they did not understand the rules.  This is not unusual at TESU.

This. 

Unfortunately the evaluated credits were not, and still are not being applied to the certificate program by whoever does the evaluations at this time. The rationale so far being:

Quote:Academic policy states that at least 50% of the credits required for an undergraduate certificate or a graduate certificate must be earned at Thomas Edison State University. This means that only the following courses are approved for the certificate...Since you have 9 credits remaining (half of the remaining requirements) for the certificate...you cannot transfer anymore courses. The pending requirements must be satisfied by TESU courses or exams. 

This was in response to requesting consideration that already transferred brick and mortar exact equivalent courses be moved into the certificate, or an explanation be provided as to why they were not being applied as expected. This is when it came to light that the only reason for 9 credits remaining at this point is that they are applying this 50% policy, not that they had just been overlooked during the evaluations and not applied. Ticket closed and resolved. 

New Ticket inquiry citing to catalog and website and requesting reconsideration of applying this policy since a degree is concurrently being earned and the policy exempts the 50% requirement in such cases. Response is an email stating that the policy is being applied correctly as confirmed by the registrar and that they have closed all other pending tickets.

However, I haven't given up hope entirely just yet, because as I had mentioned in my other post the catalog clearly states that you do not need to complete 50% through TESU when you are concurrently seeking a degree and/or are willing to pay a residency waiver fee. So I do not believe the application of this policy is appropriate, but so far have not had success in getting it resolved.

I am hopeful this is some type of an error that will be resolved eventually through the appeals process. I guess we will see how it pans out.
OMGoodness how frustrating!!  I'm glad you are trying to resolve it.  If they are requiring 50% earned through TESU no matter what then that is what should be stated. I really do hope you get it resolved.  On a personal note, if this remains the case we may need to switch to Charter Oak and earn the concentration in IS there. 

Has anyone been able to get a certification through TESU by transferring in all credits?

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security

(10-24-2019, 06:19 PM)TwinMom Wrote:
(10-24-2019, 05:47 PM)shadowgem Wrote:

This. 

OMGoodness how frustrating!!  I'm glad you are trying to resolve it.  If they are requiring 50% earned through TESU no matter what then that is what should be stated. I really do hope you get it resolved.  On a personal note, if this remains the case we may need to switch to Charter Oak and earn the concentration in IS there. 

Has anyone been able to get a certification through TESU by transferring in all credits?

They are wrong. If you are paying the residency fee and getting a degree, the 50% rule doesn't apply. https://www.tesu.edu/academics/undergrad-certificates
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
I got my electronics undergrad cert at the same time I got my BA and ASNSM. I only took the capstone with TESU; all my other credits were B&M and alternative learning sources.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrBossmanJr's post:
  • TwinMom
(10-25-2019, 12:22 PM)MrBossmanJr Wrote: I got my electronics undergrad cert at the same time I got my BA and ASNSM. I only took the capstone with TESU; all my other credits were B&M and alternative learning sources.

Glad to know someone did!!

CsmLearn

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 722 21 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,981 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 262 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 240 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 233 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 270 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,159 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy