Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unisa
I've just seen a post from January about someone taking a doctorate at the university of South Africa. I've taken a look and seen it's a distance learning university with long history. I wondered if anyone could share their experiences with them. Their research only doctorate got me really excited. Wondered if there was any problem with not being a South African resident or citizen and taking their degrees from abroad. The tuition fees are certainly very good value.
Achieved
BSBA - GM: TESU
BSc(Hons) Politics: University of Plymouth
GradCert in Computing: London Metropolitan University
Prince2 Certified
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt

In Progress
Certificate in Technology Leadership: Cornell University (free through employer)

Planned
Master in Public Administration: Marconi University
It's very difficult to navigate their system. There is an official Canada/U.S. middleman that makes the process easier, but it costs a little extra money. I'd have to look up the name of the company.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Hey Leedeedee,

UniSA (South Africa) is a great school and is one of the largest distance education institutions around that teach in English.
I was reading about them on the other forum a few years ago and will go with them if I ever get to the doctorate level.

The Canadian and US licencee is IACI offers UNISA degrees, Distance Learning University, School, College of Distance Education , they used to have a US site but merged it into http://www.iacidl.com , from reading through these pages, a doctorate can be had for $3500 or less as mentioned here IACI offers UNISA degrees, Distance Learning University, School, College of Distance Education . This school, not to be confused with UniSA (Southern Australia), was DETC (before it became DEAC) accredited but just like their Australian counterparts decided not to renew their US nationally accredited status.

I don't think it really matters too much if it has DEAC accreditation or not, as the accreditation was for professional degrees, masters and below, it didn't apply to Doctorates then. This page lists the licencees for UniSA Unisa Online - Unisa Licensees

Hope this helps,
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
the better place to ask, with vast amounts of info on this school is the "sister forum" over here DegreeInfo Distance Learning - online degree forum
Thanks bjcheung77, this is really useful. Will definitely be looking to this school when I get around to finishing an International Relations Masters. Have always wanted to take a Politics Phd by research part time, but the cost has put me off.
Achieved
Prince2 Certified

In Progress
Certificate in Technology Leadership: Cornell University (free through employer)

Planned
Thanks Jennifer, will check that out. Smile
Achieved
Prince2 Certified

In Progress

Planned
I think you maybe referring to me. I will give you my experiences in the Readers Digest version:

1. It is hard. Yes, hard. It maybe reasonable in price, but it is hard. When they ( the folks at UNISA and have graduated) you are on your own, you are on your own. You make your own schedule. If you need hand holding, UNISA is not for you.
2. They give you 6 years to finish ( with a 7th with permission). I am on that 7th year. I think the minimum is 3 years. Good luck with that. Smile
3. There are two committees (this is in the History department. I cannot speak for any other). The first committee is made up of two chairs. The one that is from UNISA and one that is an expert in your field. Your dissertation goes through those two first. When they deem your dissertation ready to progress onward, those two select a committee of four in your field (Peers). The dissertation then goes to them. When, and only when, that committee of four deem you ready, you earn your D. Litt Phil.
4. I have a dissertation coach. She has been a godsend. She helps me keeps things in order and writing schedules in order. I still have a TON of work to do this Summer as far as revises.
5. I think in all, I have spent 8k for 7 years, I think. You pay for a year, not the class.
6. This is in the History department, I cannot speak for the other departments.
7. It took me from November 2007 ( when I first used Dr. Michael Esselen's group, http://www.iacidl.com. They were amazing. It cost me $100 dollars back then. Not sure what it is now.) to July 2009 to get in. Yes, it took that long.

I hope that helps.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tireman4's post:
  • MFG