Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Universal Basic Income
jsd Wrote:Hilarious that people actually believe this in 2017. But I guess not everyone can be in touch with normal Americans

It's funny how Bernie Sanders supporters were brought up when many of the people who are worried about Obamacare going away voted for Trump! Why are there so many people in Appalachia and the Midwest blaming the government for their unwillingness to train for today's jobs?

It's not really as simple as whether or not being poor is a choice. A lot of times, staying poor is a choice, but that does not mean that there aren't some who will have a much harder time climbing out of poverty. Location can make things difficult, and it is not easy to move out of state when you don't have the money to do so.

I was born poor; I didn't choose to be poor. After my mother separated from my father, she couldn't keep a job due to her severe mental health problems. So, we had no choice but to live off of government assistance because my father rarely paid child support. When he did pay child support, we got $50 at the most, and the rest went to the State of Texas. The state thinks it's getting its money back, but that child support could replace what they pay out for TANF or food stamps.

And, discrimination is real. While I do make an okay salary now, it was usually a struggle to even get an interview. I mostly apply to jobs with the government and non-profits because there is less discrimination. There was even a study that found that those with black-sounding names are less likely to get a callback after submitting a resume. They submitted the same resumes using different names.

The welfare system actually makes it more difficult to get off of it. If you get a job making minimum wage, there will be severe cuts to your benefits, and you'll also become ineligible for some. This discourages people from getting out of the system because minimum wage won't be enough to support their families.

Additionally, the government only allows 12 months to go to school. This is why a lot of single mothers pay tens of thousands of dollars to go to some short program at a for-profit school to study something like cosmetology or medical assisting. These are not good-paying jobs for most.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Oh, and I want to help those who need it, but the government is failing miserably at deciding who needs it and needs to keep their damn hands out of my pockets. I don't have a Clinton foundation to make millions on, I, like most, work hard to make a living .

They're taking an enormous amount of money from people who EARNED it and giving it to people too lazy or stupid to work (along with the people who actually do need and deserve it), while politicians become rich from being a politician . I'm sorry, but if you were someone with average means, and after serving as a politician (to serve thr people, not use and abuse them)you are a millionaire, you deserve an ass whoopin you sorry sack of.....

Well I am getting sidetracked. I'm out.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

And discrimination is definitely real..but unless "thought police " get involved, there always will be. People group together with others likd them, even subconsciously. It's sad discrimination can be such a problem, still. But that will never go away, no matter if it's a deeply religious area, or a liberal utopia.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

icampy Wrote:I worked at a grocery store when I was 16 and 17. It was in a rougher/poorer part of town . I learned everything I needed about welfare and poverty at that job, and it left me bitter and prejudiced for years afterwards. You would not believe how well a huge amount of people on welfare ate doing. I saw more new Cadillacs and Lincoln's driven by people on food stamps than I have from any other group, including upper middle class areas. I saw ebt cards being passed around to other friends and family members, being sold for cash, taking home boxes full of steaks

I too experienced the same thing, I opened up a cell phone store within a grocery store selling phones to illegal aliens. These people were living like kings with their food stamps. The thing was for them is to have as many anchor babies as possible and the amount of benefits their kids get are enormous. They also bought ridiculous amounts of steak's and were eating like kings. I would see them buy people food with their food stamps for cash and then paying their cell phone bill with that cash. I'm really looking forward to the budget reducing all forms of welfare across the board this September.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
icampy Wrote:Oh, and I want to help those who need it, but the government is failing miserably at deciding who needs it and needs to keep their damn hands out of my pockets. I don't have a Clinton foundation to make millions on, I, like most, work hard to make a living .

They're taking an enormous amount of money from people who EARNED it and giving it to people too lazy or stupid to work (along with the people who actually do need and deserve it), while politicians become rich from being a politician . I'm sorry, but if you were someone with average means, and after serving as a politician (to serve thr people, not use and abuse them)you are a millionaire, you deserve an ass whoopin you sorry sack of.....

Well I am getting sidetracked. I'm out.

At least the Clinton Foundation has a record of paying out millions. I don't know how Trump's son can excuse being born into a billionaire family and not paying out any money from the donations he received for his cancer charity.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
videogamesrock Wrote:I too experienced the same thing, I opened up a cell phone store within a grocery store selling phones to illegal aliens. These people were living like kings with their food stamps. The thing was for them is to have as many anchor babies as possible and the amount of benefits their kids get are enormous. They also bought ridiculous amounts of steak's and were eating like kings. I would see them buy people food with their food stamps for cash and then paying their cell phone bill with that cash. I'm really looking forward to the budget reducing all forms of welfare across the board this September.

The food stamps for my family were never enough. There are challenges posted on YouTube with people trying to shop for healthy foods on a food stamp budget because it's a difficult task. My family often had to go to a food bank or a church. Many times, we would get moldy bread, expired food, and even food with maggots. Sometimes, we would have to eat bread and butter for dinner. I don't know how people live like kings on food stamps because we certainly didn't.

When my mother sold food stamps, it was because we needed cash. You can't buy toilet paper or pay your electric bill with food stamps. That's not to say that some people don't sell food stamps to buy drugs or luxury items, but some people do sell food stamps because they have to.

On another forum, the cell phone issue has come up a lot. In modern times, it makes much more sense to have a cell phone than to pay for a landline. You can go to a prepaid cell phone company and get unlimited service for $35 a month. A study showed that many poor people only have internet access because of their cell phones. It is very difficult to find a job without a phone or internet access, and people may not have easy access to a library. I didn't have a cell phone growing up, and we often caught the bus to go to the library. Because there was usually a line of people waiting to use the computers, the amount of time one could spend on a library computer was limited.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:The food stamps for my family were never enough. There are challenges posted on YouTube with people trying to shop for healthy foods on a food stamp budget because it's a difficult task. My family often had to go to a food bank or a church. Many times, we would get moldy bread, expired food, and even food with maggots. Sometimes, we would have to eat bread and butter for dinner. I don't know how people live like kings on food stamps because we certainly didn't.

they usually work cash jobs and file for food stamps to feed their 5 children. Many who are painters or landscapers earn a great living and abuse the system.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
videogamesrock Wrote:they usually work cash jobs and file for food stamps to feed their 5 children. Many who are painters or landscapers earn a great living and abuse the system.
Then the thing to do is crack down on the cheaters, not penalize the honest.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
sanantone Wrote:At least the Clinton Foundation has a record of paying out millions. I don't know how Trump's son can excuse being born into a billionaire family and not paying out any money from the donations he received for his cancer charity.

He's a dbag too, doesn't hurt my feelings.

But that witch became a millionaire while she was supposed to be serving the people .

davewill Wrote:Then the thing to do is crack down on the cheaters, not penalize the honest.
Just scrap it completely and have it for only a few with term limits.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IT worker keeps 2 jobs for income security indigoshuffle 1 481 02-10-2024, 08:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  24yr Google Engineer Saves 80% Of His Income & Plans to Retire by 30 With $1 Million LevelUP 13 1,462 03-09-2022, 03:19 AM
Last Post: Messdiener