Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Denver Online Master's in Data Science
Anyone have experience with this program? Is this program any good, or should I consider other options?

I am about to begin my first quarter, and am really nervous because it has been several years since I have done any math. They have bridge courses in mathematics which are supposed to prep you for the main program, but I feel like the bridge courses attempt to cover mathematics that normally take students a year or more to cover in a span of only 10 weeks. I enjoy math, but I am worried that trying to learn calculus 1 through 3 in 10 weeks is a little too much. I was considering Eastern University's Masters in Data Science as well as that seems to be less vigorous in terms of math. I figure I can learn math on my own at a much less stressful pace than trying to learn the equivalent of 3 to 4 calculus classes in two months. So far, I find that I am having to spend over 90% of my time using outside resources to even begin to understand the homework assignments for these bridge courses.
This program is not cheap at all!
They require 48 - 60 credits and they charge $1,068 per credit!
That means you'll be charged $48,000+ for graduation.
I think that's way too much for an online data science degree.
https://ritchieonline.du.edu/admissions/...ncial-aid/

You can get the same data science degree from University of Texas, Austin for $10k on Edx.org.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nomaduser's post:
  • eLearner
(12-29-2020, 02:32 AM)nomaduser Wrote: This program is not cheap at all!

You can get the same data science degree from University of Texas, Austin for $10k on Edx.org.

Not only is it not cheap, but I am very disappointed that their bridge courses that are advertised to help those with no computer science background succeed in the degree program are insanely difficult. The 3-bridhge courses is what makes the program 60 credits and not 48. Their programming bridge course is super easy as I have essentially already taught myself more than what the class will teach. I was hoping for a more gradual approach in their math bridge courses considering I only took calculus 1 back in 2005. I managed a 99% in the class, but it was over a semester which made it super easy. Relearning calculus 1 and then having to learn calculus 2 and 3 and beyond in a 10-week period just seems like I will be placing undue stress on myself.  I am looking at Eastern University's Master's in Data Science program. It is also around 10k and much less math intensive. I enjoy math, and can do good at it if I go at a more reasonable pace. I can always get verified certificates of Edx.org math courses I complete if companies are keen on wanting a candidate with a strong math background.
Kahn Academy has calc courses including diff eq. Have you checked them out? That may help a lot with the math. I probably would have looked for ACE sources for the calc just to have some experience at a bare minimum. Math isn't my strong suit and I've taken a bunch of math courses - far more than I ever imagined I would. I still struggle with it. I did find Kahn Academy to help me a bit. It may not help everyone, but it's free so why not check it out?

The UT Austin is the real deal! Imagine $10k from a top university.
Also, don't forget Georgia Tech also has a similar price and reputation.
In Progress:
BS Statistics + BS Physics, Indonesia, 2023
MSc ML/AI (LJMU, UK), 2022
Completed:
PGDip ML/AI (IIITB, India), 2021
BE Civil Engineering, Universitas Pelita Harapan, 2017
(12-30-2020, 08:52 AM)asianphd Wrote:

I looked at the UT and Georgia Tech program, and it now has me thinking I am better off taking a few prerequisite math courses and then applying to the programs. Doing this will enable me to keep my part time job so that I can potentially get some letters of recommendation, combined with my 4.0 GPA from my Master's in Exercise Science, I would hopefully not have too much trouble getting accepted. Another option I am considering is Eastern University's master's program in Data Science. Although it is a very low math intensive program, I believe it is also 10k or a little less. I could probably complete that program in 10-months. I asked a data scientist who's working in the field and also has a popular YouTube channel if it really matters what university I get a degree from and he told me it's more important what projects I am willing to complete during the program. Eastern's program may be a lower level than UT or Georgia Tech, but if I can complete that in 10-months, I would at least hope to gain a position as a data analyst and work my way up. If companies ore keen on someone with a strong math background, I guess I could rack up a bunch of certificates of completed math courses on Edx. All these sound like better options than spending $4000 plus dollars per class trying to cram a bunch of high-level math in, only to not be able to retain any of it or worse yet, fail the course and then be out 4k.
(12-30-2020, 01:52 PM)matrixski Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 08:52 AM)asianphd Wrote:

I looked at the UT and Georgia Tech program, and it now has me thinking I am better off taking a few prerequisite math courses and then applying to the programs. Doing this will enable me to keep my part time job so that I can potentially get some letters of recommendation, combined with my 4.0 GPA from my Master's in Exercise Science, I would hopefully not have too much trouble getting accepted. Another option I am considering is Eastern University's master's program in Data Science. Although it is a very low math intensive program, I believe it is also 10k or a little less. I could probably complete that program in 10-months. I asked a data scientist who's working in the field and also has a popular YouTube channel if it really matters what university I get a degree from and he told me it's more important what projects I am willing to complete during the program. Eastern's program may be a lower level than UT or Georgia Tech, but if I can complete that in 10-months, I would at least hope to gain a position as a data analyst and work my way up. If companies ore keen on someone with a strong math background, I guess I could rack up a bunch of certificates of completed math courses on Edx. All these sound like better options than spending $4000 plus dollars per class trying to cram a bunch of high-level math in, only to not be able to retain any of it or worse yet, fail the course and then be out 4k.

Just my personal opinion, no matter what the Youtuber said, UT Austin or Georgia tech always better than the lower level uni. No need to hurry to finish the master's degree, eventually you will learn less.

Personally, I have a plan to enroll in UT Austin or Georgia, but in their CS program. Currently, I am learning math and CS prerequisite.
Or you want to may enroll in the UT Austin extension program: https://www.mygreatlearning.com/apac/art...e-learning then enroll in the Georgia Tech program? You now get two credential from two top campuses Big Grin
In Progress:
BS Statistics + BS Physics, Indonesia, 2023
MSc ML/AI (LJMU, UK), 2022
Completed:
PGDip ML/AI (IIITB, India), 2021
BE Civil Engineering, Universitas Pelita Harapan, 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,666 516,966 11 hours ago
Last Post: nykorn
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 245 Yesterday, 12:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 310 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Phd in environmental science myopenledger 2 112 03-27-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,074 03-27-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 318 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 277 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 496 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,460 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Recognition of Execute Master Lorvey 10 485 03-19-2024, 02:31 AM