Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Illinois (iMBA program) - Free Coursera Course
This just came to my e-mail:

Quote:We’re writing to remind you that the application deadline for the MBA degree online from the University of Illinois (iMBA program) is coming up in just three days.
Submit your application by the April 12 deadline and we'll email instructions for redeeming a free course on Coursera. An application can be completed in 1-2 days - and so there's still time to take advantage of this benefit. Simply submit your application, and wait for an email from our admissions team with instructions on redeeming your course.

Start an Application

As an added benefit, you can get your application fee waived if you are able to submit by Friday. To waive your fee, navigate to the program tab of your application, indicate you are eligible for a fee waiver, and enter #Coursera into the affiliated Allied Agency box.
If you have any questions, we can help! The iMBA team is ready to provide you with answers and assistance. To get in touch with us, email onlineMBA@illinois.edu or call 217-300-2481.

Looking forward to connecting with you,
The iMBA Team

Seems like tricky wording. I have to wonder if they intend for the "free course on Coursera" to be used for one of the for-graduate-credit iMBA courses. Thoughts? I am tempted to try it. I wouldn't mind gaining some more free graduate credits! I assume I'd have to list the MBA credits from Walden which I received in my first term. I wonder if attending Walden previously would help or hurt the application too...
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(04-09-2019, 08:00 PM)SweetSecret Wrote: This just came to my e-mail:

Quote:We’re writing to remind you that the application deadline for the MBA degree online from the University of Illinois (iMBA program) is coming up in just three days.
Submit your application by the April 12 deadline and we'll email instructions for redeeming a free course on Coursera. An application can be completed in 1-2 days - and so there's still time to take advantage of this benefit. Simply submit your application, and wait for an email from our admissions team with instructions on redeeming your course.

Start an Application

As an added benefit, you can get your application fee waived if you are able to submit by Friday. To waive your fee, navigate to the program tab of your application, indicate you are eligible for a fee waiver, and enter #Coursera into the affiliated Allied Agency box.
If you have any questions, we can help! The iMBA team is ready to provide you with answers and assistance. To get in touch with us, email onlineMBA@illinois.edu or call 217-300-2481.

Looking forward to connecting with you,
The iMBA Team

Seems like tricky wording. I have to wonder if they intend for the "free course on Coursera" to be used for one of the for-graduate-credit iMBA courses. Thoughts? I am tempted to try it. I wouldn't mind gaining some more free graduate credits! I assume I'd have to list the MBA credits from Walden which I received in my first term. I wonder if attending Walden previously would help or hurt the application too...
 Do you know the name of the free course offering by University of Illinois ? You can send the email to Walden to see if they will accept for graduate credit. Sometime some school will not accept the transfer credit.
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

I'm less worried about if Walden will accept it or not, as they seem flexible as long as it's graduate level credits. The real concern is does Univ of Illinois intend the free course to be used for a free iMBA course that gives graduate credit.
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
I graduated from the sister program, the iMSA, which uses the same model as the iMBA.

The model functions by using two educational "layers." There is the Coursera "layer" that all students undergo. If a certificate is desired, the student pays a fee. Then there is the "high engagement" layer that only matriculated, credit seeking students undergo. A textbook and/or additional readings are required, as well as live online lectures, more quizzes, tests, papers, etc. If completed, the student is awarded academic credit. Matriculated, credit seeking students must complete both layers. Coursera-only students only complete the Coursera layer.

So... I imagine that the free course is just the Coursera layer and not the high engagement layer. I doubt a certificate is included but I guess it is possible. Obviously, more information is needed from the program and I could be wrong.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
This was the reply I received to my email:

"Students earn academic credit for any iMBA course by:

1. Completing a Coursera iMBA course for a verified certificate.

2. Then completing an enhanced portion of the same course with Illinois (involves direct and live interaction with faculty, additional case studies, group or individual assignments and discussions etc., and graded personalized evaluation).

Putting these two components together earns you full academic credit for a course, which is transferable towards the degree program (when admitted). As a result, students can earn a certificate with true academic credit from the University of Illinois.

Free Coursera Course is referring to point 1. in the information below. Some iMBA courses are include in those free Coursera Courses, but not all of them. Please take in consideration that completing only Coursera component is not consider graduate-level credit.

Students must complete 72 credit hours, at least 18 courses (each course is 3 or 4 credits), any two specialization capstones, and a final program-wide experiential learning capstone.

You will pay for the classes as you enroll in them. When you enroll in a class in Coursera you will pay the fee directly to them (except for the free course you received, only if you selected iMBA course) . If you enroll in an entire specialization, then you will pay for all those classes at once ($79/class). For the for-credit classes at Illinois, you will pay for tuition for each class you enroll in. For example, if you take two classes per term (8 weeks), then you will register for the two classes and then receive a bill from Illinois, for the full amount ($2,000). The University of Illinois offers payment plan options. Please refer to https://paymybill.uillinois.edu/PaymentPlan and https://paymybill.uillinois.edu/PaymentPlanFAQs for more information."

Doesn't seem as good of a deal as the free term at Walden was.
I sent in an application, but I put in non-functional emails for the reference section. They sent back an email requesting references. So, unless you want to have people writing reference letters for a possible one-off course, this is probably a dead-end for free credit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 24 1,020 Today, 05:41 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 490 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 10 776 03-08-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: klone
  Coursera Illinois Tech MBA Vle045 8 2,293 03-08-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,699 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,830 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,323 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign MichaelDoesMarketing 35 3,252 03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rayray1000
  MBA from Hellenic American University (HAU) allvia 111 16,212 03-03-2024, 12:58 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  University of Central Lancashire (UK) LLM under $3K? Kalas 7 1,173 02-21-2024, 04:14 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer