Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schools with very good reputation and good transfer policy?
For a friend who has a lot of different RA credits.

They have over 75 which are community college but there are around 35 which are not community college. However, probably not many upper level in the non-CC. They also have CLEPs done.

Is there a school with a very good reputation that is affordable that would take 90 credits in transfer? Does not need to take ACE.

That is the main thing, they're wanting a degree from a good school (instead of the quick degree from TESU), but they don't need any specific major.

Major may have to be liberal studies or something else general because of their credits being varied. I feel like it's better if it was something like 'professional studies'. Maybe they could take the 30 new credits in one area and get that as their major?

It doesn't have to be cheap, but not expensive. Maybe $350-450 a credit? $450-500? (They would not have financial aid.)

What's wrong with UMPI? It's a state school and it has a decent reputation. Not that it means much, but I think it's ranked in the top ten or so for the region and in the top 50-100 for the whole country. Not just the University of Maine system, but UMPI itself.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
Amberton University allows up to 87 credits transferred in for their bachelor programs, free to apply, and they are quite affordable.  https://www.amberton.edu/transfer-studen...index.html

They offer a BA Professional Development https://www.amberton.edu/programs-and-co...index.html

They also offer a BA in Applied Studies if a person has '21 semester hours in a designated field of study' https://www.amberton.edu/programs-and-co...index.html
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I'll second UMPI (but I see nothing wrong with Thomas Edison). There's also the University of North Texas, which offers their Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences online. It requires thirty residency credits, with a minimum cost of $330 per credit, or $9,900.

https://baas.unt.edu/future-students/baa...ee-options
(01-15-2022, 12:43 AM)Ideas Wrote: That is the main thing, they're wanting a degree from a good school (instead of the quick degree from TESU), but they don't need any specific major.

What exactly is a good school?

So this person could care less what their degree major is, basket weaving whatever, but it has to be a good school. lol
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • ss20ts, wildebeest
Define a good school. Just because someone has 75 credits doesn't mean that they're usable credits unfortunately. You need to figure out what kind of degree you want, see what schools offer it, and if any of your current credits fit into it. The schools we talk about on here typically accept ACE credits which there are many easy ways to complete many of the LL gen ed courses through.

I didn't attend TESU but I wouldn't say it's not a good school. It's a state university. Just because someone has heard of a school doesn't mean it's a good school. I mean look at University of Phoenix. People on Mars have heard of it because they advertise like crazy. That doesn't make it a good school. It means it's marketed. Two totally different things.
You might wanna check Arizona State U, last I checked years ago, they required 30 credits in residence. 90 can be transferred in. I'm not sure what's their transfer policy.

90 credits its gonna be a hard find. but 60 credits, there's MANY good schools that would take your friend. some examples below

UIUC, UVA, Harvard extension, Penn, WUSTL, UW, BU, Northwestern

They all have online degree programs, sadly they only take 60 credits max.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nyvrem's post:
  • Ideas
(01-15-2022, 10:28 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(01-15-2022, 12:43 AM)Ideas Wrote: That is the main thing, they're wanting a degree from a good school (instead of the quick degree from TESU), but they don't need any specific major.

So this person could care less what their degree major is, basket weaving whatever, but it has to be a good school. lol

Well I said they are fine with liberal studies, general studies, professional studies, etc. Interdisciplinary studies if they could get it. No, they wouldn't want just anything like basket weaving. But they might have to compromise a little on major too.

(01-15-2022, 11:26 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Define a good school. Just because someone has 75 credits doesn't mean that they're usable credits unfortunately. You need to figure out what kind of degree you want, see what schools offer it, and if any of your current credits fit into it. The schools we talk about on here typically accept ACE credits which there are many easy ways to complete many of the LL gen ed courses through.

I didn't attend TESU but I wouldn't say it's not a good school. It's a state university. Just because someone has heard of a school doesn't mean it's a good school. I mean look at University of Phoenix. People on Mars have heard of it because they advertise like crazy. That doesn't make it a good school. It means it's marketed. Two totally different things.

Well, sure, but it seems like hardly anyone will have heard of TESU unless they attended or their friend attended. And UofP, yeah, people have heard of it but they would probably immediately think negative things.

I don't know exactly. A school where the professors regularly publish in top journals? A school with more research funding? A school that admits a lower percentage of applicants? Those kinds of things.

(01-15-2022, 11:28 AM)nyvrem Wrote: You might wanna check Arizona State U, last I checked years ago, they required 30 credits in residence. 90 can be transferred in. I'm not sure what's their transfer policy.

90 credits its gonna be a hard find. but 60 credits, there's MANY good schools that would take your friend. some examples below

Thanks, that is good to know about 60 credits.

Ok, so ASU may be one of their only options. I'm not sure ASU has a more general degree that 90 of their credits could fit into, but they could find out. They have so many degrees!

I think CUNY might be another option, and they have Liberal Studies.

(01-15-2022, 02:12 PM)Ideas Wrote: Well, sure, but it seems like hardly anyone will have heard of TESU unless they attended or their friend attended. And UofP, yeah, people have heard of it but they would probably immediately think negative things.

I don't know exactly. A school where the professors regularly publish in top journals? A school with more research funding? A school that admits a lower percentage of applicants? Those kinds of things.

State universities have research. Maybe your friend should join so they can say more about what they have and are looking for. If the friend wants all of that and only wants to spend $400 per credit then they should look at their state university system. Also know that those 75 credits probably aren't going to go far at a state university because of the requirements they have in place. Your friend may be starting from scratch. Whereas at a school like TESU or UMPI they may be able to graduate in less than 6 months. Both schools are state universities. 

There's thousands of colleges in the US. No one has heard of the vast majority of them. Outside of the Ivies and state universities, how many do you think people have heard of? Just because someone hasn't heard of a school doesn't mean it's not a good school. I mean you're looking at schools that are all RA accredited. Names are also recognized regionally. I can't tell you the name of any schools in Texas. I can tell you the names of a bunch of schools in NY because I live in NY. I cannot tell you the name of every college in NY though. I can't even tell you the names of each of the 64 SUNY campuses. Nor does anyone care. Just because one attends a "good" school doesn't mean that they were a good student. Everyone with a 2.0 and a 4.0 gets the same diploma.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • uncapentin
(01-15-2022, 10:28 AM)LevelUP Wrote:

Depending on what circles you're trying to move in, it's absolutely a valid approach. 
Where you went to school is absolutely a form of social currency in my region. In fact, they ask where you went to HIGH school.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Utah Schools switching to the 3-year Bachelor Airamb 6 122 9 hours ago
Last Post: RachelB
  PUG IT transfer credits BritStudent 2 196 02-22-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Schools that accept ACE credits and allow 90cr in transfer bjcheung77 87 40,081 01-30-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: inor
  List of RA brick and mortar schools that accept 75% of credits from SDC, Sophia, SL ausernameisneeded 19 1,827 09-30-2023, 02:30 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Does CUNY SPS allow transfer credits after enrollment? MyRightHandIsBi 11 892 09-13-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 978 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  UoPeople Certificate program transfer courses? MNomadic 5 1,592 12-13-2022, 10:44 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  State schools vs. other options MDela3 71 7,580 09-26-2022, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Two, two degree schools 6 months? learningthehardway 16 1,829 06-01-2022, 08:02 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Alternate schools for Comp Sci? Ideas 4 1,336 03-29-2022, 05:05 AM
Last Post: Ideas