Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UoPeople received Candidacy status from WASC
From reading through the sister board, they have candidacy status. 

This is going to be very exciting for those who are studying at UofPeople!

WASC: https://www.wscuc.org/institutions/university-people

Link: https://www.degreeinfo.com/index.php?thr...ple.57079/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • cannacollege
For those, like me, curious for what that status means:

Quote:Candidacy

Candidacy is a status of affiliation indicating that an institution has achieved initial recognition and is progressing toward, but does not yet assume, accreditation. The candidate for accreditation classification is designed for schools that are not yet ready for the full evaluation based on the ACS WASC criteria for accreditation. The schools must provide evidence of sound planning with sufficient resources to implement these plans, and must appear to have the potential for attaining its goals within a reasonable time. Candidate schools are required to submit a written report to the Commission during the spring of the school year following the initial visit, indicating progress being made in meeting the recommendations of the initial visiting committee and noting any substantial changes in the organization or operation of the school. Schools are normally expected to apply for full accreditation by the third year of candidacy.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(07-18-2021, 06:54 PM)jsd Wrote: For those, like me, curious for what that status means:

Quote:Candidacy

Candidacy is a status of affiliation indicating that an institution has achieved initial recognition and is progressing toward, but does not yet assume, accreditation. The candidate for accreditation classification is designed for schools that are not yet ready for the full evaluation based on the ACS WASC criteria for accreditation. The schools must provide evidence of sound planning with sufficient resources to implement these plans, and must appear to have the potential for attaining its goals within a reasonable time. Candidate schools are required to submit a written report to the Commission during the spring of the school year following the initial visit, indicating progress being made in meeting the recommendations of the initial visiting committee and noting any substantial changes in the organization or operation of the school. Schools are normally expected to apply for full accreditation by the third year of candidacy.

So they still have a long way to go....a few more years at a minimum. It will be interesting to see if they can get RA accreditation.
For anyone who's planning on UofPeople for their degree, they'd be smart to wait to graduate until after they get RA accreditation. Even if you just save a single class for then.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Per the WASC website, University of the People was granted candidate status:
https://www.wscuc.org/institutions/university-people

Per WASC: "Candidacy is limited to four years and is granted only when an institution can demonstrate that it is likely to become accredited during the four-year period. This means that UoPeople can receive RA as soon as 2022 or as late as 2025." There is also a visit from WASC that is scheduled to take place next year.

I know that there are plans for additional masters programs on the short horizon, including one in computer science, so this is good news.
Ed.D. (Capella University)
Vice Provost for Distance & Extended Education, Online Adjunct, & Instructional Design Consultant
[-] The following 1 user Likes sacredrain's post:
  • cannacollege
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-from-WASC

Big Grin

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

What will happened for those that already have a bachelor degree from UoP previously do their diploma be converted automatically to a Regional accredited degree?

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
it's not retroactive. but if you don't need it for licensure or transfer credits or anything like that, not too many employers/HR departments are going to be looking at specific dates of accreditation (if they even know the difference between NA/RA to begin with). They're more likely to look twice at the name than they are the accreditation date.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Vle045

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPA requirements for uopeople degree Ebukaz 14 2,682 12-24-2021, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Ebukaz
  UoPeople going for regional accreditation SweetSecret 38 8,587 08-06-2021, 07:09 PM
Last Post: jsd
  PSA: Send transcripts early and check their receipt status promptly Ideas 2 1,035 08-19-2020, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  CISSP given equal status as a master's degree in Europe MNomadic 6 1,690 05-14-2020, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Grand Canyon University to revert to nonprofit status clep3705 2 1,492 03-22-2018, 04:07 PM
Last Post: clep3705
  Received my TESU BSBA in General Management evaluation. Need help with a plan. Dennis Brown 2 1,547 04-25-2017, 10:39 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Straighterline Course - Pending Status Aurelius 6 958 08-29-2016, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Aurelius
  YAAAAAAY!!!! ALLL: I passed the college comp CLEP and received the scores today! jgbenjamin 0 604 02-17-2016, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jgbenjamin
  Has anyone received credit for American Sign Language? anthonylg 3 768 06-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Last Post: anthonylg
  quickest received score for CLEP w/ essay? SelfImprovement 3 990 08-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Last Post: green