Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
UoPeople to Gatech
(11-09-2022, 11:29 AM)ss20ts Wrote: WGU only allows Canadians into certain programs from what I have read. I have not seen them accept anyone from any other country. It's not an American first thing. The governors who founded the school don't run the school. There's more to accreditation than just RA. Because they are an online only school they have restrictions in their accreditation. Without reading all of the accreditation documents you wouldn't know what their resections are. The accreditation boards can impose restrictions on each individual school. They also have numerous program accreditations which may also have restrictions. ProctorU isn't the same as Examity. Pleading your case does nothing when a school has policies about international students which all schools have.

Adding onto the accreditation. As someone who also contacted WGU as an international student, an advisor basically said this in regards to "why aren't international students allowed anymore?" (Since WGU was international for quite some time.) Their response was essentially this. Their accrediting body basically came to them and said that they are not evaluating student performance and are essentially doing "no work" to ensure academic integrity. Their accreditation was at stake and they made the decision to minimize their students to the US. This is because this would ensure less students so more time could be spent focusing on individual needs and also because it enabled academic advisors to be more interactive with students. This is where WGU said that they would implement an optional weekly discussion or meeting for all students with their academic advisor in order to discuss progress or address concerns. Because of time zone differences, it almost made it impossible for academic advisors to keep up with their international students. Hence also why Canadians are accepted in a case-by-case evaluation since it makes the proctoring of their academic integrity much easier than say someone from China.

Hope this helps! So yes, accreditation was at stake, they cut out international students so that they could save their accreditation. However, the person I spoke to did say that WGU would look into reopening their school for international students, however that could take a while. (Everything I said here was from a conversation of an admissions advisor and I am not aware if this is 100% or not.)
In progress:
XAMK: Video Game Creation certificate (8/13 courses completed)
Metropolia: Multiple Courses (In Progress: IT Services Sales and Marketing)

Completed:
Sophia: 62 credits
i-to-i: 180-hour TEFL certificate (DEAC- accredited)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Personherebb9's post:
  • davewill
(11-09-2022, 11:11 AM)somethingdudesomething Wrote: Thank you both for this. I made a degree plan catered to Gatech (if an admin can edit my original post to include this in my credits as I will use this file now for all updates, thank u):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0
And:
[Image: 53LddQN.png]

Finger crossed they at least show some leeway or something.

In the meantime I will add the addendum to my post abotu the stuff, and slowly amend the sheet with the Purdue international, Excelsciour, TESU and the other one, is gonna be a lot of work, because even if Gatech says "maybe", that's not a guarantee of admission until I get my bsc and do the actual application so I should have some backups, will update soon.
Thank you all for the replies much appreciated.

I will also add that there's a fairly active GT OMSCS Students Facebook group that would be a better place than here to ask specific admissions questions. It's a private group, but as a prospective student you should be able to join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/gtomscss...?ref=share
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan for GaTech OMSA admission denise99 13 3,027 02-27-2022, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77