Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Upper Level - core vs AOS - TESU
Hello,

I've been struggling to figure out the distribution of upper level credits for a TESU BSBA in HR. I know 12 UL are needed. I just don't understand AOS vs "core" which I see people referring to. Apologies if this has been answered, I did attempt to search.

The requirements are:

Human Resource Management
Organizational Behavior
Organizational Theory OR Organizational Development and Change

and then 3 HR electives, for a total of six classes, or 18 credits. Does the requirement mean that 12 of those 18 HR credits must be upper level? Or Is that 12 spread throughout ALL the business courses?
For example, the international management on Study.com appears to be UL, it's not part of the HR requirement, but IS part of the BSBA requirement - will it count towards the 12?

Side questions, if known.

Will an MIS class fulfill TESU's business requirement, or does it really have to be a basic intro to computers to fulfill it?

Does anyone know if an online class in Organizational Theory OR Organizational Development and Change that TESU will accept? My community college offers it, but if Study.com has something acceptable but under a different name, I'll sign up immediately!
[-] The following 1 user Likes mansion7's post:
  • Jimmy999
At TESU, the BSBA is a little different than other degrees, which usually require 18cr of UL in the AOS - and most don't have a "core". So, you are excused if you're reading through all of these posts trying to figure it out, because it's a bit tricky.

So, the BSBA Core (actually now called Professional Business Requirements) is the list of 12 courses (36cr) that you must take for all BSBA's, and then you take an additional 18cr in the Area of Study (AOS). For some AOS's, there are no specific requirements, but for HR, there are 3, plus an additional 3 elective courses within the AOS. And yes, 12cr out of the 18cr need to be UL. Any UL courses you might take in the core won't count towards that. With the BSBA, you actually usually end up taking more than 18cr of UL anyway, because a bunch of the core courses are UL (Management, Marketing, Finance, International Business, Business Comm). And of course, Strategic Management is the Business Capstone, which is UL for sure.

Here are the options for the HR AOS:

REQUIRED - Human Resource Management
- Human Resource Management, DSST (UL)
- BUS 106: Human Resource Management, Study.com (LL)
- BUS 306: Strategic Human Resources Management, Study.com (UL)

REQUIRED - Organizational Behavior
- Organizational Behavior, DSST (UL), SL (UL), Davar (UL)
- BUS 107: Organizational Behavior, Study.com (LL)
- BUS 307: Leadership and Organizational Behavior, Study.com (LL)

REQUIRED - Organizational Theory/Org Development & Change
- BUS 323: Organizational Theory, Study.com (UL)

ELECTIVES
BUS 314: Employment Law, Study.com (UL)
BUS 319: Negotiations and Conflict Management, Study.com (UL)
BUS 325: Union & Labor Relations, Study.com (LL)
PSY 301: Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Study.com (UL)

Other Electives that may work, but TESU hasn't evaluated them yet (they are UL through ACE/NCCRS already):
BUS 209: Mentoring & Leadership Development in the Workplace, Study.com (UL)
BUS 302: Foundations of Leadership, Study.com (UL)
BUS 304: Leading Organizational Change, Study.com (UL)
BUS 305: Leadership Communication, Study.com (UL)
BUS 321: Small Business Management, Study.com (UL)

I'm not sure about the MIS class, although if you already have a computer course that would fulfill it, you could put it in the core and then take MIS and put it in the Natural Sciences area. Or you could ask TESU.

Last but not least, instead of the UL Global Management course through Study.com, there's a newer LL International Business course that will work just as well but is less work. I suggest swapping that to make your life easier.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 5 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • mansion7, Muldoon, scout2family, StoicJ, Yenisei
I am so grateful for this amazing answer.   This whole time I've been playing my degree, I've been going based upon this: https://study.com/directory/school/Thoma...ransferTab

I didn't realize that there were so many other business-related options available to me on Study.com.   It now looks like I'll be able to complete the rest of my degree (all business courses) using Study.com AND meeting the upper level requirements!
Just make sure that you don't take more than 90cr through Study.com, as TESU will only accept 90cr from a single source.  Here's a degree plan for the BSBA in General Management, I haven't updated my HR one yet, but everything is the same except the AOS, you just need to substitute in what you want there.

Also, when you go to take your electives, contact TESU (I'm assuming you're enrolled, and have your eval done) and get your courses pre-planned into the degree.  They will tell you what the courses come in as, and put them in as "pending".

And, if you want to be really nice to me, you will ask TESU what some of these courses come in as and report back to me with the course equivalencies, and whether TESU will accept them in the HR AOS!  These are the ones I don't know:

BUS 209: Mentoring & Leadership Development in the Workplace
BUS 302: Foundations of Leadership
BUS 304: Leading Organizational Change
BUS 305: Leadership Communication
BUS 321: Small Business Management
BUS 325: Union & Labor Relations
PSY 301: Industrial/Organizational Psychology

Good luck!

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU BSBA GenMan.xlsx (Size: 40.95 KB / Downloads: 13)
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 4 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • davewill, leland.kirk, Muldoon, Yenisei
Quote:Last but not least, instead of the UL Global Management course through Study.com, there's a newer LL International Business course that will work just as well but is less work. I suggest swapping that to make your life easier.

The LL course is BUS 120: International Business, right? Checking since it's not showing up on their transfer guide yet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Muldoon's post:
  • dfrecore
(02-18-2018, 04:17 AM)Muldoon Wrote:
Quote:Last but not least, instead of the UL Global Management course through Study.com, there's a newer LL International Business course that will work just as well but is less work. I suggest swapping that to make your life easier.

The LL course is BUS 120: International Business, right? Checking since it's not showing up on their transfer guide yet.

Correct, everything won't show up on the transfer guide because TESU is not real quick about evaluating the courses.  They seem to do them in big batches, and months and months after they are ACE/NCCRS approved.
CSU-Global offers several Human Resources exams. I just checked and it looks like they added more recently. Some of these look really interesting and don't have a Study.com equivalent. Here is the list from their website:

Compensation and Performance Management HRM350EX (3 credits)
Human Resources Development and Management HRM400EX (3 credits)
Managing and Leading Team Dynamics HRM425EX (3 credits)
Creating a Diverse and Ethical Workforce HRM435EX (3 credits)
Recruitment, Selection, and Employee Development HRM440EX (3 credits)
Employment Law, Compensation, and Policy HRM450EX (3 credits)
Training and Staff Development HRM455EX (3 credits)
Organizational Development HRM460EX (3 credits)
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
Hi, question on the xls. My wife took Principles of finance at shmoop and it came in as Fin-200 as the core requirement. Is there another Principles of finance on study.com that would fulfill her aos finance slot? Thank you.
(04-21-2018, 09:44 PM)rixbae Wrote: Hi, question on the xls. My wife took Principles of finance at shmoop and it came in as Fin-200 as the core requirement. Is there another Principles of finance on study.com that would fulfill her aos finance slot? Thank you.

You can't use Finance in the HR AOS.
Sorry forgot to mention that she is in the General Management AOS, She's doing a lot in management and marketing, but would need one finance or accounting course to fulfil the requirements.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,970 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,657 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,098 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,634 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,728 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,339 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,585 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,321 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,370 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,857 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore