Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vet Tech / Penn Foster
Has anybody in the forum looked into the Vet Tech Program at Penn Foster?

https://www.pennfoster.edu/programs-and-...ate-degree

If so:

How is the program? How do you feel about it? Have you been able to work in the field?

If not, and have taken courses from Penn Foster:

How was your experience? What did you study?

I am nearly complete with my bachelors from TESU and I'm looking for the next thing to study. I think starting an associates for Vet Tech would be great maybe look into following it up as a Vet in the far far far future. Who knows. I looked around and Penn Foster seemed to have the most affordable and flexible online program. However, its NA as apposed to RA. Do you think it will make that much of a difference in the future? 

I don't wanna shoot myself in the foot but at the same time, I'm really interested in goin in and just doing it. 

Thoughts?
So vet tech is not a path to vet, in terms of schooling. If you want to be a vet, you're better off figuring out what's required (so check multiple schools where you want to go) and then getting the pre-reqs done through an RA school when you're closer to applying (I'm assuming that like RN or med school, they want your labs to be within 5 years).

And yes, it will be a problem in the future with RA vs. NA. An RA school won't take your NA credits.

Now, if you're interested in becoming a vet tech now, with the thought that you want to try it out before you commit to being a vet, then by all means, go for it. But just don't think that it's going to get you very close to becoming a vet.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I should've clarified.

Id be using the vet tech as a spring board. Figure out if Id even enjoy workin in the field. Ill be retired in a few years and am looking for what would amount to be "really aggressive hobbies". Work that I can do that would enrich my life and I could walk away from if I ever decided its not for me any longer.

I only plan on doing the associates from Penn Foster before I officially retire. If I do pursue the career field, Id be shooting for an RA school for follow on.
Everything @defrecore said and I will add I am currently in the program and do enjoy it. There are a lot of veterinary offices that partner with Penn Foster so you should be able to find a place to do your externship. The courses are pretty standard there's some quizzes and papers, but no everyday discussion posts.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 1 user Likes ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • 22gunsonfire
(11-23-2020, 05:48 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: Everything @defrecore said and I will add I am currently in the program and do enjoy it. There are a lot of veterinary offices that partner with Penn Foster so you should be able to find a place to do your externship. The courses are pretty standard there's some quizzes and papers, but no everyday discussion posts.

Are you only doing the associates program or do you plan on working through the bachelor? Whats your endgame?
[-] The following 1 user Likes 22gunsonfire's post:
  • ROYISAGIRL
(11-23-2020, 06:27 PM)22gunsonfire Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 05:48 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: Everything @defrecore said and I will add I am currently in the program and do enjoy it. There are a lot of veterinary offices that partner with Penn Foster so you should be able to find a place to do your externship. The courses are pretty standard there's some quizzes and papers, but no everyday discussion posts.

Are you only doing the associates program or do you plan on working through the bachelor? Whats your endgame?
As of right now I'm only doing the Associates degree. I itinally started the program because of nostalgia. I always wanted to be a vet tech when I was younger. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up so I'm not sure what my end goal is just yet.

In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

You should check with your state. This degree would be useless in my state. The state requires licensing and a RA degree along with specific coursework before you can sit for the licensing exam.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 926 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  Name Brand, RA, State School Degree - Penn State World PreLawCoastie 7 1,087 03-02-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  Illinois Institue of Technology - Coursera (Illinois Tech IIT) bext 1 787 07-12-2023, 02:35 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Penn Foster College Accounting Undergrad Cert eminor7 8 1,982 01-10-2021, 04:40 PM
Last Post: eminor7