Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU Computer Science degree vs Cyber security
I'm helping a young man who is interested in cybersecurity. I advised him that a computer science degree is considered a baseline stronger degree and then he could do certifications after that focus on cybersecurity. Does anyone agree with this? This is not my subject of expertise. Again, he wants to do forensic cybersecurity. Any thoughts from those with experience would be helpful and appreciated. By the way, he's young... so no job experience and no degree yet.
My opinion: since he's still young, if he has the aptitude and interest, a computer science degree would be the better option in the long run to build a stronger computing foundation and give him more long term flexibility. After he finishes that, like you said he can get some certifications to "specialize" more in cybersecurity. Another option is getting a cybersecurity focused master's degree afterwards like WGU's MSCSIA or Georgia Tech's OMSCybersecurity(or their OMSCS with more cybersecurity electives). While in college, the thing that will help the most is going for internships and networking which will both take assertiveness/initiative on his part.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • LevelUP
(01-09-2023, 05:56 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote: I'm helping a young man who is interested in cybersecurity. I advised him that a computer science degree is considered a baseline stronger degree and then he could do certifications after that focus on cybersecurity. Does anyone agree with this? This is not my subject of expertise. Again, he wants to do forensic cybersecurity. Any thoughts from those with experience would be helpful and appreciated. By the way, he's young... so no job experience and no degree yet.

I second this as well.  Focus broadly first, then focus more narrowly.  First gig may not be cyber-security specific, but might be more of a foot in the door.  Plus things change, and in two years he might decide that AI is more interesting.
Working Toward: ME-EM, CU Boulder (Coursera)
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
[-] The following 1 user Likes spohara's post:
  • LevelUP
I think there's nothing wrong with just getting a degree in Cybersecurity. I might offer the opinion that CS is "better" but it really isn't necessarily so, and if the student isn't interested in CS, can't do the math required, or doesn't want to get a master's, then you may put them off of both of these degrees entirely.

It's not always helpful to tell people "better" options when you're not certain they're better for that person. If you told me that a BSBA was just ok, but I'd be far better off with an MBA, that would have made me think "if I have to get a master's degree to do this, I am not going to get a degree at all!" That would have put me off of college entirely!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • indigoshuffle, origamishuttle, StoicJ
I work in the field. Depending on what they want to do within the field, the knowledge gained by a CompSci degree would generally be more beneficial. But the field is huge and there is a lot of wiggle room there. For example, if they're more interested in the risk and compliance side, I think they'd be better served with the Cybersec degree.

For forensics, I'd lean heavily towards CompSci.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • MNomadic, origamishuttle
There's no point in pushing a CS degree on someone if they don't want to do CS work or don't have a strong aptitude for it. Your young friend should only do CS if they have an interest in it. Otherwise, they'd be better off going directly to CyberSec.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, indigoshuffle
FWIW-

Guild Education works with some large companies that offer tuition assistance. I think, for example, a person could work at places like Walmart and Lowes (even part-time) and qualify to have 100% of their tuition, books, etc covered for some cybersecurity programs. There's an AAS cybersecurity @ Rio Salado that's covered, and a BS cybersecurity @ University of Maryland GC and Wilmington University. Programs covered might differ between various employers so it'd take a little digging to nail down options.

You said this young person had no job experience so thought this might be worth considering.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
[-] The following 2 users Like StoicJ's post:
  • indigoshuffle, jsd
He might want to loook into IBMs cybersecurity apprenticeships (48 ace credits), not sure about the requirements though. There are also companies like Praxis that helps with apprenticeships that leads to jobs. Also, the military would make sense for cybersecurity.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FastTrackDegree's post:
  • origamishuttle
Thank you all. This was helpful. I'll have him read this thread and encourage him to open an account of his own.
[-] The following 1 user Likes indigoshuffle's post:
  • origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wanting a masters degree for IT from WGU benon 10 866 01-21-2024, 04:13 AM
Last Post: benon
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,075 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Masters in HR - anyone accelerate through this degree? Whitepines 4 497 01-05-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Can you pause your degree? Learnsomestuff 9 1,029 11-17-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  BSIT TO MSITM Program - Should I take required Certs before enrolling in degree? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 2 370 11-16-2023, 03:39 PM
  WGU - Network Engineering and Security B.S. Which path should I take? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 4 612 11-11-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Brandon.Thomas.Downer
  New degree in Supply Chain & Operations Management MNomadic 3 1,173 11-10-2023, 08:41 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Computer Science 305: Operating Systems Transfer to WGU alesalsa10 4 682 10-19-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: alesalsa10
  Computer Science Program is now ABET accredited frankc 18 1,627 10-12-2023, 12:58 PM
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 897 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece