Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU Education Programs
I’m looking to get my NY certification. I already have 4 years teaching experience in a private school without my certification. So while I’m looking for an opportunity to learn this is also kind of a formality to me. I already have a BS in Bio and a PhD in Bio. I am missing all the core classes (artistic expression, history, social studies, math etc.). I also need to take a Chem lab. I need to take these prior enrollment - any ideas? Also, how would you rate the teaching program? How was the certification process with your states department of education after graduation?
(07-01-2020, 09:03 AM)Doctor_Jolly Wrote: I’m looking to get my NY certification. I already have 4 years teaching experience in a private school without my certification. So while I’m looking for an opportunity to learn this is also kind of a formality to me. I already have a BS in Bio and a PhD in Bio. I am missing all the core classes (artistic expression, history, social studies, math etc.). I also need to take a Chem lab. I need to take these prior enrollment - any ideas? Also, how would you rate the teaching program? How was the certification process with your states department of education after graduation?

What specific subject and/or teaching endorsements are you seeking? What subject and age range of kids?
I teach high school bio. So I’m looking at a Masters in secondary education (biology).
Have you researched the NY certification requirements? Just because you have a bachelor's degree doesn't mean you have all of the required undergrad coursework. NY is really picky. There are 2 certifications required to be a teacher in NY. Where is your bachelor's degree from? If it's out of state, make sure you review the NYS requirements. Many people have to take additional undergrad courses for that initial certification if their bachelor's degree is from out of state. For your master's, your probably really only looking at NY schools as the easiest way to get that permanent certification. Have you looked at the University at Buffalo, Albany, or Binghamton? They all have online programs. State tuition if you're a resident.
Yes I’ve researched (the Department of Education evaluated my transcripts). That’s how I know I’m missing the core undergrad classes. I am good to go with my science credits for NYS. It’s WGU that wants the additional chem lab for MS students. 

So you’re saying WGU is not a viable option for NY teachers? Those schools would be my first choice but I’m looking to get certified in the fastest and most cost effective way possible.

Edited to say: I’m looking to get my initial certification not permanent certification.
This will show you what's required by the state for your initial certification:

http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/cert...earch.html

You have 5 years to complete your professional certification once you receive your initial certification.

You need more than just science courses for the initial certification. There's a whole gen ed component and they show you what's required when you fill out the form in the link I shared above.

From the state:

Additional Education - Masters Degree
Masters degree means a graduate degree awarded following the satisfactory completion of at least a one-year graduate-level curriculum and other requirements. The program must be offered by an institution of higher education approved by the Commissioner of Education or a regional accrediting agency.

Just because it's regionally accredited doesn't mean it's a given that it's 100% accepted. Everyone I know who became a teacher with the professional certification did their master's in NY because of their requirements. It's much easier using a NY program because it's made specifically for NY's mandates. We're full of mandates. WGU is a school based in Utah. Their reqs are going to be different.

This provides some help from WGU. Keep in mind that NY does make changes though.

https://www.wgu.edu/content/dam/western-...w-york.pdf

I don't even know why this is on the WGU website because it's several years old.

https://cm.wgu.edu/t5/Teacher-Licensure-.../ta-p/1257

If you're looking to do this quickly through WGU, don't assume it will be quick. The student teaching can take up to 6 months before you get assigned. With COVID, our schools are closed and we still do not have a reopening plan for the fall. It's made student teaching a nightmare. My next door neighbor is the VP at a college and his student teachers were all pulled from the classroom. Total nightmare for graduating seniors. You don't have a 6 month wait if you're in a college in NY. The student teaching is part of your college course work so it's in a regularly scheduled semester.

https://www.wgu.edu/online-teaching-degr...dited.html #5 is about student teaching

It's really a challenging time to become a teacher right now especially with the whole COVID situation.
(07-01-2020, 12:02 PM)ss20ts Wrote: This will show you what's required by the state for your initial certification:

http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/cert...earch.html

You have 5 years to complete your professional certification once you receive your initial certification.

You need more than just science courses for the initial certification. There's a whole gen ed component and they show you what's required when you fill out the form in the link I shared above.

From the state:

Additional Education - Masters Degree
Masters degree means a graduate degree awarded following the satisfactory completion of at least a one-year graduate-level curriculum and other requirements. The program must be offered by an institution of higher education approved by the Commissioner of Education or a regional accrediting agency.

Just because it's regionally accredited doesn't mean it's a given that it's 100% accepted. Everyone I know who became a teacher with the professional certification did their master's in NY because of their requirements. It's much easier using a NY program because it's made specifically for NY's mandates. We're full of mandates. WGU is a school based in Utah. Their reqs are going to be different.

This provides some help from WGU. Keep in mind that NY does make changes though.

https://www.wgu.edu/content/dam/western-...w-york.pdf

I don't even know why this is on the WGU website because it's several years old.

https://cm.wgu.edu/t5/Teacher-Licensure-.../ta-p/1257

If you're looking to do this quickly through WGU, don't assume it will be quick. The student teaching can take up to 6 months before you get assigned. With COVID, our schools are closed and we still do not have a reopening plan for the fall. It's made student teaching a nightmare. My next door neighbor is the VP at a college and his student teachers were all pulled from the classroom. Total nightmare for graduating seniors. You don't have a 6 month wait if you're in a college in NY. The student teaching is part of your college course work so it's in a regularly scheduled semester.

https://www.wgu.edu/online-teaching-degr...dited.html #5 is about student teaching

It's really a challenging time to become a teacher right now especially with the whole COVID situation.
I’m already a teacher in NYC. I work at a private school that does not require certification. I am aware of how difficult certification in NYS is compared to other states. I have been in contact with the Department of Education, they evaluated my transcripts. I know that I need the core gen ed credits (I said so in my first post).  If I get my core gen ed credits and 21 education credits I don’t need student teaching for my initial certification because I can go the individual pathway and submit the paperwork for 40 days of continuous full time employment as a bio teacher. Obviously I wouldn’t be able to graduate until I met the student teacher requirement for the masters program. Completing the masters will give me the pay bump.
You need student teaching for the master's degree. You asked about getting a master's degree through WGU. You need the master's for the professional certification.
(07-01-2020, 12:54 PM)ss20ts Wrote: You need student teaching for the master's degree. You asked about getting a master's degree through WGU. You need the master's for the professional certification.
Yes, I am aware of that. I stated that in my previous post. I can get my initial cert with completion of just the coursework (and my gen ed classes) and then once I’ve completed a masters (with student teaching) I can apply for professional certification. 

I came here to ask about experiences with WGU education programs. I know what the requirements are for NYS certification.
(07-01-2020, 01:08 PM)Doctor_Jolly Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 12:54 PM)ss20ts Wrote: You need student teaching for the master's degree. You asked about getting a master's degree through WGU. You need the master's for the professional certification.
Yes, I am aware of that. I stated that in my previous post. I can get my initial cert with completion of just the coursework (and my gen ed classes) and then once I’ve completed a masters (with student teaching) I can apply for professional certification. 

I came here to ask about experiences with WGU education programs. I know what the requirements are for NYS certification.

Like I said, I wouldn't go with WGU for a master's in teaching with wanting that certification. I would go with a school in NY. Anytime a license is involved it's best to go with a school in that state.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WGU Education Degree Path Ad Nauseam 4 254 04-18-2024, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Ad Nauseam
  WGU Master's in Elementary Education - Progress Thread nykorn 1 353 03-22-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  WGU announced a new Master of Science in Learning Experience Design and Education GizmoJack 24 4,385 09-08-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  General education requirements akr680 5 1,602 08-23-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: akr680
  WGU Secondary Math Education Giantzebra 3 1,649 05-25-2021, 09:12 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  WGU General Education pingmanping 14 3,843 08-23-2018, 12:01 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU’s Business Programs Now Accredited by the ACBSP jsd 2 4,176 05-10-2018, 11:05 PM
Rainbow WGU Education Degree Help? livelovelaugh91897 10 3,596 12-06-2017, 11:07 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  WGU increased tuition on IT programs yb1 4 2,542 11-06-2017, 04:41 PM
  WGU-like Masters Programs? jtalama 2 930 03-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Last Post: jtalama