Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU transcript appeal
(01-06-2019, 12:18 PM)ztkerls Wrote: I do not think that they messed up on the evaluation for World History. According to the official transfer guidelines for that major, One physical science credit can be a history course. In the degree plan, Intro to Geography would be the class taken for this at WGU.

Here is a link to the guidelines: https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/BSDMDA.aspx

Anthropology is usually considered to be a social science which also fits into only that one spot. I would appeal human/health dev and see what they say. I was told they rarely allow transfers for spreadsheets when my mom started with WGU so I doubt you would get that.

Ztkerls, thank you for the link.   That link and the link for transfer credits for the nursing program as well as some common sense and a bit of wishful thinking, is how my neighbor and I came up possible course equivalents for his current credits.

Thanks for your advice on the appeal as well.  I will certainly share it with my neighbor.  He's getting a bit frustrated b/c WGU does things so very differently from most other colleges.
Robin
Member since 2008

~ Slowly collecting credits from a variety of sources. Almost finished with my baccalaureate degree.
(01-07-2019, 11:56 AM)rvm Wrote:
(01-06-2019, 12:18 PM)ztkerls Wrote: I do not think that they messed up on the evaluation for World History. According to the official transfer guidelines for that major, One physical science credit can be a history course. In the degree plan, Intro to Geography would be the class taken for this at WGU.

Here is a link to the guidelines: https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/BSDMDA.aspx

Anthropology is usually considered to be a social science which also fits into only that one spot. I would appeal human/health dev and see what they say. I was told they rarely allow transfers for spreadsheets when my mom started with WGU so I doubt you would get that.

Ztkerls, thank you for the link.   That link and the link for transfer credits for the nursing program as well as some common sense and a bit of wishful thinking, is how my neighbor and I came up possible course equivalents for his current credits.

Thanks for your advice on the appeal as well.  I will certainly share it with my neighbor.  He's getting a bit frustrated b/c WGU does things so very differently from most other colleges.

I understand that completely. We went through very similar stuff with my mom. Basically what I was told is that they give the evaluators the information in the link for the respective major and tell them to go as close to what the transfer requirements as they can. They don't make a connection to a possible alternative. Only the appeals people will look at the possible alternatives to their requirements if you can justify it. Worse thing they can say to you is no so try to appeal as much as you can. Based on what I have seen though, MIS is the only course that I would expect to get through appeals. 

Like others have said above, some of these classes can be finished really fast. My mom finished Speadsheets in a day and finished 34 CUs in December when she started and she isn't usually an accelerator like some of us are. While the evaluation can be demoralizing, once you start passing classes, it is easy to get over. 

I have only dealt with WGU Texas and I don't know if the other branches or the generic WGU is different, but their evaluation process and results were very similar to the b&m universities that we also applied too(University of Houston, Texas A&M). From my experience, any transfer credit outside of the Big 3 is frustrating.  

I imagine you have been told this before, but if he decides to continue with WGU, the WGU reddit, WGU accelerators facebook page, and the course tips in WGU have been all the advice we have needed to study and pass the classes so far. They give a lot of great advice.
[-] The following 3 users Like ztkerls's post:
  • Life_One, quigongene, rvm
(01-06-2019, 12:21 PM)davewill Wrote: He needs to get over that, or fall into a rathole that will derail his effort. That's why it's a good idea to do what @dfrecore suggested and do a side by side of WGU and TESU. He will learn to see the positives of just moving forward.

As far as the spreadsheet course, it would be easy to spend a bunch more time trying to get it accepted when he might just be able to finish it in a day if he just got started.

Dave and @dfrecore, that's good advice on all accounts.  

While money is definitely a consideration, it's not a primary consideration for John.  He's most interested in getting real-world experience in data analytics as well as having options for online CBEs and access to courses which are project-based as well as online courses where projects aren't as viable.

Statistis.com seems to have those hands-on options but their courses are only offered 3 times per year.  If this wasn't the case, TESU would work, even it's more costly.

I suggested he check COSC and Excelsior to see if they have any options for data analytics.

Robin
Member since 2008

~ Slowly collecting credits from a variety of sources. Almost finished with my baccalaureate degree.
At this point, John is searching for other options.  He's taking a look at CSU, CTU, SNHU and is hoping to find some others, as well.  He does not mind if he has to take 25% of his credits in residency.  Those courses would mostly be data analytics courses which he will be required to take as butt-in-seat or online courses - rather than CBEs - at most any RA university.
Robin
Member since 2008

(01-07-2019, 12:30 PM)ztkerls Wrote: Ztkerls, thank you for the link.   That link and the link for transfer credits for the nursing program as well as some common sense and a bit of wishful thinking, is how my neighbor and I came up possible course
I understand that completely. We went through very similar stuff with my mom. Basically what I was told is that they give the evaluators the information in the link for the respective major and tell them to go as close to what the transfer requirements as they can. They don't make a connection to a possible alternative. Only the appeals people will look at the possible alternatives to their requirements if you can justify it. Worse thing they can say to you is no so try to appeal as much as you can. Based on what I have seen though, MIS is the only course that I would expect to get through appeals. 

Like others have said above, some of these classes can be finished really fast. My mom finished Speadsheets in a day and finished 34 CUs in December when she started and she isn't usually an accelerator like some of us are. While the evaluation can be demoralizing, once you start passing classes, it is easy to get over. 

I have only dealt with WGU Texas and I don't know if the other branches or the generic WGU is different, but their evaluation process and results were very similar to the b&m universities that we also applied too(University of Houston, Texas A&M). From my experience, any transfer credit outside of the Big 3 is frustrating.  

I imagine you have been told this before, but if he decides to continue with WGU, the WGU reddit, WGU accelerators facebook page, and the course tips in WGU have been all the advice we have needed to study and pass the classes so far. They give a lot of great advice.

34 CUs in 1 month is impressive - Go mom!  I'd be interested in hearing about the courses she completed and a bit about the course format. Feel free to pm me if you prefer.  I don't want details.  Just how she found the content was delivered, comprehensible and whether she was graded on projects, quizzes or tests?

I imagine all of WGU is the same though I have no proof of that.  I'm unsure of the reasons they branch out into multiple states, other than having a presence in that particular state, perhaps for state approval?

Thank you for the additional websites.  We had stumbled on reddit's WGU group but I didn't know about the others.  I'll definitely share those sites with John.
Robin
Member since 2008

(01-07-2019, 12:30 PM)ztkerls Wrote:  From my experience, any transfer credit outside of the Big 3 is frustrating.  

I 100% agree! Big Grin
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(01-07-2019, 12:30 PM)ztkerls Wrote:  From my experience, any transfer credit outside of the Big 3 is frustrating.  

I 100% agree! Big Grin

We're both finding out this is mostly the case.  I have found a few RA unis that will accept alternative credits.  The question I'm still trying to figure out is whether any of these non-Big 3 schools will take all my credits (or degree) for a 2nd bachelor or if I should complete my first degree - only a few courses remaining - and apply to masters programs.  John, my neighbor, who is the reason I started this thread, is in a better position to work around this b/c his current credits total 46.

I'm spending so much time trying to determine what to do, I almost could have finished my last few courses and applied for graduation and moved on.
Robin
Member since 2008

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do transfer (sophia.org/ACE) credits look on a WGU transcript for grad school? dan087 4 1,045 09-25-2023, 05:01 AM
Last Post: dan087
  [Request] College of IT - Bachelor's in Software Development - Unofficial Transcript GunslingerParrot 1 1,131 07-28-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: rachel83az