Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wanting degree ideas
Wondering what ideas you might have for an RA degree (or legit online bachelor degrees outside the USA), considering the credits I have earned. Not interested in a business administration degree. Areas of undergrad degree interest are things like psych/econ, computer/IT, history/humanities/lit, construction/real estate, ag/environment/conservation, and biology studies. 

I pretty much draw the line at a completion cost of $5000, including tuition, books, grad fees, transcripts, graduation fee, etc. I might qualify for financial aid, but don't care to fill out federal forms.

The amount of time I am willing to put into it each day is low. Probably just one course at a time, and if it took a couple of years to complete a plan that is fine.

Here are my college-level courses with grades of "C" or better. All are 3 credits unless noted. Sadly, only a couple of UL courses.

Regionally-Accredited (95 credits):
English
- Composition 1
- Composition 2
- Intro to drama
Business
- Financial accounting
- Business law
Computer, IT
- Programming logic and design
- Database design
- Intro to database
- Integrated software applications
- Fundamental of networking
Math
- College algebra
- Finite math
Natural science
- Biology 1
- Biology 2
- General biology 1 (4)
- Physical geology
- Intro to astronomy
Social science
- Intro to sociology
- Intro to psychology
- Microeconomic principles
History, Government
- United States & Texas politics
- Congress, president, courts
- American foreign policy (UL)
- US history to 1877
- US history since 1877
- Western civilization before 1660
Other
- Elementary Spanish 1 (5)
- Intro to philosophy
- Physical education (1 credit x 2 courses)
- Art appreciation
- Public speaking

Nationally-Accredited:
- Online education strategies
- Principles of business management

ACE-recommended (34 credits):
Sophia
- Developing effective teams (1)
- Managing conflict (1)
- Macroeconomics
- Intro to ethics
- Basic accounting
- Intro to statistics
- Ancient Greek philosophers
Study
- Intro to entrepreneurship (2)
- Principles of finance
- Intro to world religions
- Intro to financial management (2)
- Personal finance
Institutes
- Ethics (2, UL?)
TEEX
- TEEX-0252 Cyber security for business professionals (2)
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
TESU and Excelsior would be out, since those both cost more than $5k.

Only wanting to complete one course at a time means that competency-based degrees like WGU or UMPI are also out.

That essentially just leaves COSC. A psych degree at COSC would require the stats class from COSC itself - bringing the total cost up to close to $5k. I'm not sure about the General Studies degree with a History concentration but I think that can be completed entirely with SDC (not counting the capstone/cornerstone, of course).
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • StoicJ
Coopersmith offers NCCRS UL courses for about $58/credit. Self-paced and bare-bones, just a study guide and one exam. No writing or assignments of any kind.

Their focus is largely Psych/Health/Counseling. Might be helpful for you.
(12-15-2020, 06:34 AM)ctcarl Wrote: Coopersmith offers NCCRS UL courses for about $58/credit.  Self-paced and bare-bones, just a study guide and one exam.  No writing or assignments of any kind.

Their focus is largely Psych/Health/Counseling.  Might be helpful for you.

COSC doesn't accept Coopersmith, though. I'm not sure Excelsior does either (they might?) but both Excelsior and TESU would cost more than $5k to complete a degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I don't think you can get a degree for less than $5000 anywhere. Trying to get a few specific requirements at COSC will run it up past $5k.

I'd probably also narrow down your degree - it's very difficult to research ALL of those. I can tell you that some degrees are easier to get than others: Psych, history, and IT/CompSci. The rest will be almost impossible to get cheaply. You'd probably have to double your budget for those.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fees for the Big 3
COSC $3,181 – includes xfer of 114cr (up to 90cr of alternative) – take 6cr in residency + fees
TESU $6654 – includes xfer of 114cr (all can be alternative) – take 6cr in residency + fees
EC1 $5300 – includes xfer of 113cr (all can be alternative) – take 7cr in residency + fees
EC2 $5850 – includes xfer of 107cr (all can be alternative) – take 13cr in residency + fees
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • StoicJ
You might want to check out UMPI's BA in history & political science. Looking at the courses you've completed, it looks like you have completed almost all of the gen eds and electives for this degree at UMPI. You've also completed some of the required courses for the major.

https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-hist...ience.aspx

Little bit about UMPI. It's a competency based program so it's like Sophia and how you're on your own time schedule. A term is 8 weeks long and costs $1,400 - NO additional fees. You can take as many classes as you can complete during a term - there are no limits. There are 6 terms every year. All of the course material is provided in the course. There are no outside books needed. There's an online library for writing papers. The application is free. Feel free to send me a pm if you have any questions about UMPI. I'm wrapping up my second term there this week.

(12-15-2020, 12:35 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I don't think you can get a degree for less than $5000 anywhere.  Trying to get a few specific requirements at COSC will run it up past $5k.

I'd probably also narrow down your degree - it's very difficult to research ALL of those.  I can tell you that some degrees are easier to get than others: Psych, history, and IT/CompSci.  The rest will be almost impossible to get cheaply.  You'd probably have to double your budget for those.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fees for the Big 3
COSC $3,181 – includes xfer of 114cr (up to 90cr of alternative) – take 6cr in residency + fees
TESU $6654 – includes xfer of 114cr (all can be alternative) – take 6cr in residency + fees
EC1 $5300 – includes xfer of 113cr (all can be alternative) – take 7cr in residency + fees
EC2 $5850 – includes xfer of 107cr (all can be alternative) – take 13cr in residency + fees

I do think the degree could be completed at UMPI for under $5,000 which would be 3-4 terms. Totally doable I believe. They do only have the history degree on the OP's list of degree options though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • StoicJ
For a History degree at COSC, you've hit all the GE requirements, and can get most of the remaining history courses from Study.com, leaving 2 UL history courses - the Soviet Union DSST exam if you can find a testing center, the World Conflicts UExcel exam, or courses from BYU-IS (there are 3 UL Russian or Japanese history courses, $636 per course).

A total of $4,453 at COSC if you take 2 BYU courses (so less if you take the DSST and/or the UExcel exam) + cost of 6 history courses (3 LL, 3 UL) and 3 additional UL courses from Study.com.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

For a History degree at TESU, you've hit all the GE requirements, and can get all but 1 course through Study.com. You'll need 1 Non-Western History course, so the DSST exam, the UExcel exam, or a BYU course.

A total of $7290 at TESU if you take 1 BYU course (so less if you take the UExcel or DSST) + cost of 6 courses at Study.com

For a history degree at EC, you've hit all the GE requirements, but will have to work a bit harder to get your UL History (EC won't take any Study.com history courses as UL anymore). So you'd need the World History II TECEP exam, the World Conflicts UExcel exam, HIS-301: Eastern European Jewish Immigration and Settlement in the US from Coopersmith (if it comes in as UL), the Soviet Union DSST exam, and 3 Study.com history courses to fulfill your requirements. Then, you can take 2 UL History electives from EC directly.

A total of $6360 at EC (including 13cr there), plus the cost for Study.com.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Try CUNY degrees!

https://sps.cuny.edu/academics/undergraduate

They accept up to 105 transfer credits.
Their 15 credits will cost you only about $4,500.

CUNY ranks among top 650th universities in the world:
https://www.topuniversities.com/universi...y-new-york

Check their transfer credit details:
https://sps.cuny.edu/academics/undergrad...r-learning

So once you transfer 105 credits, you'll be able to get their remaining 15 CUNY credits within a single semester.
CUNY is way more popular than the big three of course.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nomaduser's post:
  • MDela3
(12-15-2020, 06:21 AM)rachel83az Wrote: TESU and Excelsior would be out, since those both cost more than $5k.

Only wanting to complete one course at a time means that competency-based degrees like WGU or UMPI are also out.

That essentially just leaves COSC. A psych degree at COSC would require the stats class from COSC itself - bringing the total cost up to close to $5k. I'm not sure about the General Studies degree with a History concentration but I think that can be completed entirely with SDC (not counting the capstone/cornerstone, of course).

Yeah, I thought COSC might be the only one within my parameters. Didn't know there was an "expensive" COSC psych class that would mess the numbers up.

(12-15-2020, 12:35 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I don't think you can get a degree for less than $5000 anywhere.  Trying to get a few specific requirements at COSC will run it up past $5k.

I'd probably also narrow down your degree - it's very difficult to research ALL of those.  I can tell you that some degrees are easier to get than others: Psych, history, and IT/CompSci.  The rest will be almost impossible to get cheaply.  You'd probably have to double your budget for those.

I hoped someone might know of some odd program out there that would fit. I know $5k doesn't seem like much all things considered, but I have to draw the line at SOME number, and this one feels right.

(12-15-2020, 03:42 PM)dfrecore Wrote: For a History degree at COSC, you've hit all the GE requirements, and can get most of the remaining history courses from Study.com, leaving 2 UL history courses - the Soviet Union DSST exam if you can find a testing center, the World Conflicts UExcel exam, or courses from BYU-IS (there are 3 UL Russian or Japanese history courses, $636 per course).

A total of $4,453 at COSC if you take 2 BYU courses (so less if you take the DSST and/or the UExcel exam) + cost of 6 history courses (3 LL, 3 UL) and 3 additional UL courses from Study.com.

I think I could do 3-4 SDC courses in a month. So $200 + $70 = $270 less any discounts out there. I left three UL business courses completed except for the papers at SDC a couple of years ago (maybe digimarketing, marketing, & international mgmt). Probably still have my outlines somewhere, I was going to finish the papers and then sign back up. If I finished those papers (and assuming my status stayed the same), I might be able to do 9 SDC courses in 2 months if I chose the right months. I guess that's still $600+, plus the DSST & UExcel. Thought I read something about a 10% discount for SDC members, does that apply to any of the $4,453?
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
(12-15-2020, 07:17 AM)rachel83az Wrote: COSC doesn't accept Coopersmith, though. I'm not sure Excelsior does either (they might?) but both Excelsior and TESU would cost more than $5k to complete a degree.

Excelsior accepted all 18 of my Coopersmith UL credits. Pretty sure TESU does as well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 33 2,061 50 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 168 6 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,092 Yesterday, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,274 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 167 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 924 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 529 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
  UMPI Psy Degree Help Priszilla 12 905 04-06-2024, 04:37 PM
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 55 1,802 04-06-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: crowbird
  Degree planning advice, fastest way, need help Bikingrox211 19 1,288 04-06-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Bikingrox211