Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the weirdest programs you know?
Hanging around this forum and doing some more searching on education, I'm seeing a lot of places break the mould on what higher education looks like.  What are some of the weirdest programs you've seen? Unusually long (>18 weeks, although 6mo for CBE is now normalish) or short (I know there are quite a few 7 week now, how about 6,5,4,3?!) semester lengths? High or low credits per class (1 credit classes in this program), high or low total credits for program completion (how about a masters in 18 credit hours?)? Or anything else weird or game changing about the way a program is delivered(how about just giving it away from a reputable IHL?)?
Working Toward: ME-EM, CU Boulder (Coursera)
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
I think the varying term lengths are to be expected now. For a long time, some traditional schools have offered 3-week Maymester and winter mini-mester courses. I've also seen 5.5 weeks and 6 weeks.

Union Institute and University used to allow students to make up their major, and I've seen some strange majors come out of there. Virginia University of Lynchburg has a 12-month doctoral program that doesn't require a capstone, dissertation, or applied research project. Their internships are not internships.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • spohara, ss20ts
(04-20-2023, 12:44 PM)sanantone Wrote: I think the varying term lengths are to be expected now. For a long time, some traditional schools have offered 3-week Maymester and winter mini-mester courses. I've also seen 5.5 weeks and 6 weeks.

Union Institute and University used to allow students to make up their major, and I've seen some strange majors come out of there. Virginia University of Lynchburg has a 12-month doctoral program that doesn't require a capstone, dissertation, or applied research project. Their internships are not internships.

Yeah, I guess there have always been 1-3 week "intensives" in between semesters, I was more curious about year round offerings for the program, but I guess 'weird' isn't as weird these days.  Made up majors sound fun.  I wonder if anyone literally has a BA in "underwater basket weaving".
Working Toward: ME-EM, CU Boulder (Coursera)
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
(04-20-2023, 12:35 PM)spohara Wrote: Hanging around this forum and doing some more searching on education, I'm seeing a lot of places break the mould on what higher education looks like.  What are some of the weirdest programs you've seen? Unusually long (>18 weeks, although 6mo for CBE is now normalish) or short (I know there are quite a few 7 week now, how about 6,5,4,3?!) semester lengths? High or low credits per class (1 credit classes in this program), high or low total credits for program completion (how about a masters in 18 credit hours?)? Or anything else weird or game changing about the way a program is delivered(how about just giving it away from a reputable IHL?)?

From a Student's Prospective
The most optimal way to learn is by doing one course at a time. However, if a college teaches one course at a time, a term may only be 4 weeks, meaning multiple assignments are due per week. It's better if one assignment is due per week so that you are learning, then receiving feedback from the professor before turning in another assignment. So the perfect term length is 7 weeks.

From a Business Prospective
If a college charges $1500 per course, the more terms you can offer, the more money a college can make. Offering 6 terms a year versus 3 terms is double the money while paying staff 1/2 the salary per term. They pay adjuncts as little as $100 per student, which is 90%+ gross profit margins.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Basically, many institutions worldwide have interesting regulations or rules, an example - the Big 3 (COSC, Excelsior, TESU) are the weirdest ones in the US, previously they allowed 100% transfer for their degrees! After say 2010, in 2011 they started to implement the requirement of Associates/Bachelors capstones that can't be transferred over. So far, the capstone/cornerstone remains the only ones that need to be completed at these (Excelsior also needs the Info Lit).

The bulk of the institutions we recommend that are competency based and allow alternative credit, you can transfer in 75% or up to 90 credits or so into the degree programs... Heck, I remember earlier when Excelsior had the MPA program at 33 credits, at a point in time, that degree allowed 30 credits to be transferred in, a few years ago, they dropped that down to 30 credits as a requirement and 27 transferable, lastly in 2019, they changed that to only allow 15 credits.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 28 5,912 9 hours ago
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 893 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 289 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Mexican Bachelor of Engineering programs US$4200 elcastor21 2 450 08-31-2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: Kab
  South Texas College - CBE Programs bjcheung77 13 2,628 11-27-2022, 04:14 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  DPU India - Online Programs bjcheung77 6 1,328 11-08-2022, 11:28 AM
Last Post: akr680
  Best Online Bachelor’s Degree Programs in the U.S. LevelUP 1 571 11-08-2022, 11:18 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Georgia terminates programs Alpha 6 952 09-20-2022, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Degree Completion Programs Alpha 36 4,427 08-18-2022, 06:10 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  IU Applied Sciences - 50% off tuition until July 14 (online programs) bjcheung77 0 1,149 06-30-2022, 01:50 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77