Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree?
If someone already has credits for Liberal Arts Math (from SDC or Sophia) and then completes the Liberal Arts Math TECEP, would that constitute "new" credits for purposes of getting a second degree with TESU (needing 24 new credits)?
No, you're just duplicating/replacing what's already there, that particular field won't be looked at either... Your 24 credits are in the major/area of study, the TECEP isn't part of the AOS, it's placed in the general education or electives area. To be safe, you need to know how your current 120 played out, if the previous class was under the line (not part of the degree, in the other courses), you still can't use it.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Ok, I understand.

Alternative scenario: You want to get the Bachelor of Computer Science at TESU as a second Bachelor's degree and have no previous credits from Liberal Arts Math. Could you not use the Liberal Arts Math TECEP under AOS Part C. (Natural Science, Math, Computer Science Electives) for your new credits?
(01-15-2024, 12:26 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Ok, I understand.

Alternative scenario: You want to get the Bachelor of Computer Science at TESU as a second Bachelor's degree and have no previous credits from Liberal Arts Math. Could you not use the Liberal Arts Math TECEP under AOS Part C. (Natural Science, Math, Computer Science Electives) for your new credits?

So, it depends... in theory the Liberal Arts Math TECEP could fall into the Additional AOS electives 6SH (Part H) - in which it could be Natural Sciences, Math and/or Computer Science... however for it to be considered "New" - for the 24 additional credits needed for a second bachelor's degree, it must be completed beyond the date of your most recent degree completed.

With that being said - when I enrolled into TESU and was in the process of getting my BA in CS, I decided to add on an additional associate degree in math (as I already had my first associate from 2010 which was already related to computer science, so it seemed silly to get the ASNSM in computer science as well) when I did this change, at that point my degree audit called out that I had already earned an associate's previously and that I had to complete an additional 12 credits, which as I transferred new credits after that point in time is when the degree audit call out that it was considered "New" - however I had completed at least 40 credits prior via ACE prior to enrolling into TESU years after I had completed my most recent awarded degree but those were not considered "New".

--

You could try it, but I wouldn't start it until you know for sure that everything is in place (e.g. you've contacted an advisor and had them add the BA in CS as your second bachelor's degree, and even then - I would at least attempt to transfer one of the required courses you need for the BA in CS and see if it's marked as "new" before you even do so), because the last thing you would want is to take the TECEP, it fall where ever it falls into, and then for some reason not be marked as the required "new" credits. If you haven't taken the SAS certificates offered by coursera (https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Coursera) the SAS Programmer Professional Certificate would come in as 4 credits in STA-199, which you could knock it, transfer it to TESU, (I know for a fact that the SAS Advanced Programmer Professional Certificate [STA-399] would fall under Part H for the additional AOS electives and count towards the needed UL) - while you don't need to complete the SAS Programmer cert to complete the SAS Advanced Programmer cert, it does help if you have never used SAS software.

So you could do SAS Programmer cert (earn 4 new credits & confirm if it comes up as "new" in your audit) then take the TECEP and see if it happens to fall into Part H (which at this point you would have earned 7 "new" credits) and then take the SAS Advanced Programmer cert for 3 UL credits, which at this point you would have earned 10 "New" credits since your last degree, it probably would push the 4 credits (STA-199) earned out of Part H, at this point, but it wouldn't change the fact that you would have 10 "New" credits.
In Progress:
TESU:
BA Computer Science (117/120)
SoonCapstone

Completed: AS in Mathematics, Certificate in Computer Information Systems

TESU: 6 Credits (SOS-110, CMP-3540) - 2023
Coursera: 24 Credits (IBM Data Analysis & Visualization Foundations, SAS Advanced Programmer, Google Data Analytics) 2022-2023
Study.com: 27 Credits (Management Information Systems, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management, Computer Architecture, Discrete Mathematics, Geometry, Data Structures, Intro to Operating Systems, Calculus) 2020-2022
InstantCert.com: 3 Credits (American Government) - 2022
CSMLearn.com: 3 Credits - 2021
Sophia.org: 46 Credits - 2020
Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service 11 Credits - 2020
B&M College: 105.34 Credits - 2010
I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Would you please be so kind to clarify.

It sounds to me as if you did the following: 1) Earn Associates Degree in something computer related, then 2) earn a bunch of math credits via ACE providers, then 3) enroll at TESU for a Bachelors in CS, then 4) add on an Associates in Math with TESU.

Why would the ACE math credits not count as "new", given that they were earned after the date of conferral of the original Associates degree. I don't get that part.

And thanks for the rest of your suggestions, they are very helpful.
homeschoolmom1 Wrote:Ok, I understand.

Yes, with limitations as there has been some changes done with TESU degrees, they modified the general eds from 60 to 45, the major from 30 to 45 credits, thus changing the general eds into AOS electives (specific ones, like NSM). Technically, if you never have taken the TECEP or a Math that comes in equivalent to the TECEP, it will work - provided that you do not have more than 6 credits that are 100 level. If you already have two classes that are 100 level in the AOS/electives, that will not work, you'll have to move and shift things around to make that fit.

(01-15-2024, 02:34 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: It sounds to me as if you did the following: 1) Earn Associates Degree in something computer related, then 2) earn a bunch of math credits via ACE providers, then 3) enroll at TESU for a Bachelors in CS, then 4) add on an Associates in Math with TESU.

Sorry for the confusion, you are correct, that was my story - except thankfully I did not earned the math credits under #2 but after #4.

(01-15-2024, 02:34 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Why would the ACE math credits not count as "new", given that they were earned after the date of conferral of the original Associates degree. I don't get that part.
Honestly, me either. However, at the time I didn't have enough math credits to get the associates in math, so thankfully by the time I did earn the credits, they were considered "new".

The only theory I have is while I originally was working towards my bachelors & asnsm in computer science (and while the degree audit stated that I had earned an associates degree previously) is that at the point when I had requested for them to change my associates to math, the system realized I was actually working my 2nd associates degree and 1st bachelors. Mistakes happen, thankfully it didn't impact me.

(01-15-2024, 03:03 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, with limitations as there has been some changes done with TESU degrees, they modified the general eds from 60 to 45, the major from 30 to 45 credits, thus changing the general eds into AOS electives (specific ones, like NSM).  Technically, if you never have taken the TECEP or a Math that comes in equivalent to the TECEP, it will work - provided that you do not have more than 6 credits that are 100 level.  If you already have two classes that are 100 level in the AOS/electives, that will not work, you'll have to move and shift things around to make that fit.

I forgot about the whole limits relating the number of credits that were 100 level! Good call!

In that case @homeschoolmom1 I don't know if it's worth taking the liberal arts math TECEP at all at that point, personally I would suggest take the sas programmer cert (to help with the goal of earning the 3 UL credits that's as part of the sas advanced programmer cert), transfer the ACE credits, (continue on working to complete the sas advanced programmer cert while you wait for TESU to process the transfer) and see what happens with the 4 credits you should earn for them, if they fall where you were hoping the liberal arts math tecep to fall into, then great! if they don't, then no big deal (hopefully they would still be considered "new") and by the time you complete the sas advanded programmer cert, you at least will have earned 3 UL credits, which does fall under the Additional AOS Electives for sure.
In Progress:
TESU:
BA Computer Science (117/120)
SoonCapstone

Completed: AS in Mathematics, Certificate in Computer Information Systems

TESU: 6 Credits (SOS-110, CMP-3540) - 2023
Coursera: 24 Credits (IBM Data Analysis & Visualization Foundations, SAS Advanced Programmer, Google Data Analytics) 2022-2023
Study.com: 27 Credits (Management Information Systems, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management, Computer Architecture, Discrete Mathematics, Geometry, Data Structures, Intro to Operating Systems, Calculus) 2020-2022
InstantCert.com: 3 Credits (American Government) - 2022
CSMLearn.com: 3 Credits - 2021
Sophia.org: 46 Credits - 2020
Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service 11 Credits - 2020
B&M College: 105.34 Credits - 2010
Basically, "new" credits are any credits you earn after your first degree is conferred.
During the time I was waiting for my first degree to be conferred last year, I completed many courses on SDC but never took the exam. As soon as my first degree was conferred, I immediately took the exam and those credits were added to my planner as new credits.
In Progress
Georgia Tech OMSCS Cool
Completed
TESU BA Computer Science & ASNSM Mathematics
Conferred: 09/2023
Excelsior University BS Psychology 
Conferred: 02/2023

Yeah, that's an option too, I did it differently, I took the quizzes and exam, but didn't complete the assignments... Either way works, it's just that my exam is easier for me as I retain the info after the quizzes, if I don't do it that way, my memory isn't great and thus I do worse if I do the assignments first and then the final...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Final Stretch Degree Plan Help TESU BSBA Sargoththemino 3 40 5 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 50 5,241 Yesterday, 09:25 AM
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 13 740 Yesterday, 09:06 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Where should I get my accounting degree? mt_1994 10 256 04-25-2024, 10:10 AM
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 636 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 567 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 420 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 226 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 391 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 348 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM