Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What discount does the TESU Study.com partnership bring?
I am confused about the TESU Study.com relationship. I thought it resulted in some kind of waiver of fees, but when I got to this page, it shows now a waiver of fees, but pay a fee called a waiver. I'm trying to judge whether this fee reduction is sufficient to warrant rushing to get my degree done quickly, or taking additional courses to get a dual major, which would make my degree much more valuable (I'm a secondary teacher, so that would show I have expertise in two subject areas instead of one). What is the nature of this discount?
Right now, the Study.com discount is pretty big:
1) You get a waiver for the Cornerstone course (normally $300)

For the Per Credit Tuition Plan:
2) You get a discount on any courses you want to take at TESU, at minimum you'll need the Capstone ($1098 instead of $1497)
3) You get a discount on the Residency Waiver Fee ($1,800 instead of $2,500)
So a $1,400 savings

For the Comprehensive Tuition Plan, where you get up to 36cr in a single year for $6,350
4) Current price in-state is currently $7,300, so a $950 discount
5) Current price for out-of-state is $9,820, so a $3,470 discount

If you wanted to get a degree that is simple like a BALS or BSBA, where there are lots of inexpensive options for the courses you need/want to take, then you should do the Per-Credit plan. If you want to get a specific degree where the courses are going to be much more expensive, then you may want to consider the Comprehensive plan.

For the Per-Credit plan, you pay the residency waiver fee because you're taking fewer than 16cr at TESU. For the Comprehensive plan, there is no residency waiver fee (it's included in the cost).

Also, the current Study.com membership ends 6/30/18, and we don't know what any new discounts will be - but you should assume that they're going to be a LOT less.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • leland.kirk
(01-07-2018, 03:52 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Also, the current Study.com membership ends 6/30/18, and we don't know what any new discounts will be - but you should assume that they're going to be a LOT less.

I didn't think about the fact that this could change. That would be a big incentive to apply to TESU using the Study.com affiliation before that deadline.
So, even if I am transferring everything in, I still need to take a Cornerstone course and a Capstone course. The minimum cost with this discount in place would be $3305, which includes the $75 (application fee), plus $1098 (for the Capstone), plus $1800 (for the residency waiver), plus $332 (for the graduation fee)?

I calculate that EC is currently $3665, so not a whole lot more. I see a $50 application fee, $1095 enrollment fee, $495 service fee, $495 graduation fee, and then the Capstone would be $1530.

Those are a lot of costs just for taking a Cornerstone and Capstone course.

Does COSC's cost come out lower? I looked through the fees, but can't find anything strange like "enrollment fee" or "residency waiver"
You have to take the capstone and cornerstone (3cr) at COSC. There is also a semester fee, but I forget what they call it. COSC also requires 30 total UL credits so that can be an issue for some.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
(01-07-2018, 10:18 AM)Pelican Wrote: I calculate that EC is currently $3665, so not a whole lot more. 

When I applied to all three the costs were about the same for all three of the Big 3.  In college costs it's 99% a non-issue among the Big 3.    

Pick the "right degree" for you in the long run. Big Grin
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

At this point, the Big 3 are all fairly close in costs - it's just a matter of choosing the right degree.  This is especially important if you already have credits that may fit better into one school or another.

The main difference (in my opinion): TESU only requires 18cr of UL in the AOS (or 12 in the BSBA AOS), while COSC and EC both require 30cr spread out within the degree.  UL credits can be harder to find/more expensive than LL, so you just need to keep that in mind.

But none of them is better or worse than the others.  They are all RA schools.

And if you think the costs are too high, you can always go to a different school that's cheaper.  When you find one, let me know!   Tongue (Not including competency-based schools, which you won't know will be cheaper or not until after you finish).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you very much everyone, I'll register for my LIB Capstone before the Study.com discount ends.
I will register for that course at the end of May then start the June capstone and pay for everything then.
I hope to just pay for the residency waiver and capstone, then finish everything for September graduation.
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
The tuition for the capstone is due when you register. If you don't pay it they will automatically drop you from the course after a day.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(01-07-2018, 11:06 AM)ajs1976a Wrote: You have to take the capstone and cornerstone (3cr) at COSC.  There is also a semester fee, but I forget what they call it.  COSC also requires 30 total UL credits so that can be an issue for some.

I don't understand the requirement of 30 upper level. That just means 30 upper level altogether, so that could even be upper level outside the major? If I already have a BA and am trying to earn a second, wouldn't a lot of these 30 upper level credits go away as many are counted as general education?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com Employee Discount natshar 5 11,896 09-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,926 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,022 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,580 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,282 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,321 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic