Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What has been your most influential/useful course?
Mine would be COM 611 Conflict and Communication.

Actually, more the text than the class. I've been re-reading Difficult Conversations, How to Discuss What Matters Most. As an introvert, there have been a lot of conversations I've not had because they just take too much energy. Some people mistake introversion as shy but really it's the expenditure of energy in human interactions. Anyway, this book taught me a lot about conflict and gave a lot of practical tips regarding the motivation of others and my own. It really was eye-opening. I wasn't surprised that it had 4.5 stars on amazon. It's a great read and they have it in audible so you can just listen to it as well.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
Aaaaah, it's hard to pick just one! That being said, Composition and Literature (ENG 102). It developed my writing even further, which has come in handy both in real life and in my other college classes. It also showed me that classics could be fun and interesting, that was definitely life-changing!
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
videogamesrock Wrote:If you had to narrow it down to one course that you use daily in life or have been the most influential and beneficial which one would it be?

Not used in my daily life, but definitely most influential would be Calc1. I failed it the first time I took it. I was stunned because it was the first thing in school I cared about and tried to do yet still failed. That moment got so "in my head" that I switched majors to math (formerly I.T.). You read that correctly: I went completely away from the classes I was acing (English, history) and instead invested myself in something that apparently was my worst subject. The result was I stuck with it for a very looooooong time and graduated with a bachelor's in math (and psych, funny how life works out lol). I have no idea if that was the right way to go, but it definitely was the most influential course I ever took.
I think mine was probably a Keyboarding course that I took at the beginning of my college career. It's funny, because I was still two-finger typing at the end of the class. It wasn't until later that the usefulness of the lessons really sank in, and I started typing the way they taught me. I use those skills every single day.

I think a very, very close second would be First Aid/CPR. I think that should be mandatory at any institution of higher learning. A Ph.D. won't do you much good if your dinner guest is choking on their steak and you don't know how to help them. I was lucky enough to attend a B&M for a while that had that course as a requirement for all students. While I thankfully don't use those skills every day, I am comforted by the fact that I know them.

Despite my love affair with the humanities, I think I've always appreciated the practical skills that I've learned just a bit more.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)