Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What is WGU like?
By that I mean what are the courses like? Quizzes, essays, unit tests, midterm, final exam, 10 page papers? Proctoring? Or are there instructors leading the courses? Can you work on more than one course at a time? Is the learning method similar to Sophia or Study.com?

I ask because I'm enrolled at CSU Global and the amount of working making me lose my mind - literally. These weekly 3-5 page papers, lengthy discussions with cited scholarly sources along with multiple responses which need scholarly citings is getting old. Then the last week you have a 8-10 - or longer - page paper due with all kinds of requirements. It's mentally exhausting. There are no breaks for holidays. NONE. This being a holiday weekend, it has been a serious struggle completing everything that is needed on time. I would like to take off a day or two for a holiday here and there but it's not possible with this format. 

Looking at WGU and what I can transfer from my associates degrees, Sophia, and Study.com, I would be done at WGU sooner and save thousands. If WGU can be completed like Sophia and Study.com this would be a dream come true. I'm just worried that there will be mountains of papers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • MFG
(07-05-2020, 08:29 PM)ss20ts Wrote: By that I mean what are the courses like? Quizzes, essays, unit tests, midterm, final exam, 10 page papers? Proctoring? Or are there instructors leading the courses? Can you work on more than one course at a time? Is the learning method similar to Sophia or Study.com?

I ask because I'm enrolled at CSU Global and the amount of working making me lose my mind - literally. These weekly 3-5 page papers, lengthy discussions with cited scholarly sources along with multiple responses which need scholarly citings is getting old. Then the last week you have a 8-10 - or longer - page paper due with all kinds of requirements. It's mentally exhausting. There are no breaks for holidays. NONE. This being a holiday weekend, it has been a serious struggle completing everything that is needed on time. I would like to take off a day or two for a holiday here and there but it's not possible with this format. 

Looking at WGU and what I can transfer from my associates degrees, Sophia, and Study.com, I would be done at WGU sooner and save thousands. If WGU can be completed like Sophia and Study.com this would be a dream come true. I'm just worried that there will be mountains of papers.

Well, I suspect it is probably not that different than what you're used to. But here is a quick rundown.

First of all WGU generally only allows you to have one course active at any given time. Once you complete the final assignment (or exam) for your current course you work with your program mentor (PM) to move up the next course in your program. Your PM may allow you to queue up a second active course if you're close to finishing the first, but that depends on your relationship with them and whether you are trying to accelerate or not.

WGU courses typically require either a PA (performance assessment: one or more papers, projects, or presentations) or an OA (objective assessment: proctored final exam). There are a few courses that require both PA assignments and an OA, but those are rare and typically represent courses that require more hands-on understanding (from what I've seen anyway). I'm sure it varies by degree program, but at the undergrad level it seems like the majority of courses are OA rather than PA focused.

It varies by course but papers are typically in the 3-5 page length like you're used to. Some papers require a minimum number of cited references while others do not. If you don't use any external references you don't need any citations, but they do use plagiarism scanners as part of scoring papers and they can be picky about this. Projects usually include longer papers and will typically require research and problem-solving. Presentations vary a lot, but luckily they are uncommon. The presentation I did for my MBA capstone was about 30 minutes, but from what I gather, most of the undergrad presentations are 10 minutes or less.

As for the teaching style, it is a combination of reading textbook materials, lectures (which they call cohorts), and one-on-one meetings with course instructors. So the format is closest to Straighterline. You are encouraged to participate in the live cohorts and set up meetings with your instructors for more personalized instruction and to work through issues. However, it is not required. You are free to watch pre-recorded cohort lectures or use third party resources like Youtube or LinkedIn Learning to supplement the provided materials. Also, the instructors don't grade your papers or exams; papers are graded by a separate team of evaluators while exams are graded automatically by the service much like those on Study.com or Straighterline.

As for scheduling, each term is 6 months so you can choose your own timelines for when and how you approach the coursework. You also schedule your own examinations which you can take as soon as you successfully complete the pre-assessment (an exam that tests whether you are ready to take the final). There are no hard and fast requirements other than meeting the minimum credits required to be completed per term (referred to as OTP or on-time progress). This means you must complete a minimum of 12 competency units (CU's = credit hours) per term at the undergrad level, or a minimum of 8 CU at the graduate level to meet your OTP requirement. Anything more than that is up to you, but obviously, the more you do the fewer terms you have to pay for. FYI, most courses are 3-4 CU though they can range from 2-6.

Personally, unless you're planning to use financial aid to pay, I feel that you'd be better off transferring in with your associate degree to meet all your gen ed requirements and then take courses from Study.com, Sophia, and Straighterline to get up to the 90 credit maximum you can transfer in before enrolling. That way you can easily complete the last 30 credits in a single term and only end up paying once. There are no secondary fees for graduation, so that is also handy.

You can also apply for a scholarship via the school portal. They are competitive, but it seems like the acceptance rate is pretty high. You can only have one WGU scholarship at a time and they are typically set up for $500 per term for 4-5 terms, so if you finish in a single term it doesn't really help too much.

Hopefully that is helpful. Let me know if you need any more specific details.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 5 users Like Merlin's post:
  • Clepper43, housecat, jsh1138, Sapientes, ss20ts
there was someone on here who completed the Natural Sciences with Lab at WGU in less than a week
their project was seeing how far different paper airplanes would fly
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • housecat
(07-06-2020, 12:17 AM)bluebooger Wrote: there was someone on here who completed the Natural Sciences with Lab at WGU in less than a week              
their project was seeing how far different paper airplanes would fly

We've had some very creative people on the forum. Someone did something similar for their BALS final project if I recall. In any case, I can see how that could be an interesting experiment. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • housecat
Thank you Merlin, that run down was very helpful
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • Merlin
Hey Merlin,

Does graduation occur after your graduation application has been audited and approved or do you have to wait until the end of your current term or wait for some other formal date for the diploma to confer?
WGU MBA 2022
WGU BSBA IT Management 2021
I'm done with school for a while. Time to go make some $ now!

(07-06-2020, 03:15 PM)GizmoJack Wrote: Hey Merlin,

Does graduation occur after your graduation application has been audited and approved or do you have to wait until the end of your current term or wait for some other formal date for the diploma to confer?

As soon as you complete your last course you can ask your program mentor to submit your request for graduation. Once you do that they send you a form to confirm your address and the name you want on the diploma. The review and audit process takes about a week and as soon as it is complete, and assuming you've completed the information form, you will receive confirmation that you have graduated. Their transcript partner will send you an electronic copy of your diploma within a couple of days. You receive the physical copy of your diploma in the mail about a week or two after that.

So no, you don't have to wait until the end of your term or for a specific conferral ceremony date. It happens within days of your last class. This is one of the ways that WGU is so much more efficient and fast when compared to TESU. I would have graduated 3 months earlier from TESU if they had a similar policy.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • housecat
(07-06-2020, 03:38 PM)Merlin Wrote: As soon as you complete your last course you can ask your program mentor to submit your request for graduation. Once you do that they send you a form to confirm your address and the name you want on the diploma. The review and audit process takes about a week and as soon as it is complete, and assuming you've completed the information form, you will receive confirmation that you have graduated. Their transcript partner will send you an electronic copy of your diploma within a couple of days. You receive the physical copy of your diploma in the mail about a week or two after that.

So no, you don't have to wait until the end of your term or for a specific conferral ceremony date. It happens within days of your last class. This is one of the ways that WGU is so much more efficient and fast when compared to TESU. I would have graduated 3 months earlier from TESU if they had a similar policy.

Thanks Merlin, 

This is potentially huge for me. I'm currently a TESU student. I am planning to complete all requirements for graduation by mid-Jan 2021.  Based on TESU's graduation timeline, I will miss the March deadline for graduation and it looks like I will have to wait almost 6 months to receive a diploma in June.  I'm not sure I want to or can afford to wait that long.  Thanks for this info, I definitely have to investigate WGU more to see how many credits will transfer.
WGU MBA 2022

(07-06-2020, 04:39 PM)GizmoJack Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 03:38 PM)Merlin Wrote: As soon as you complete your last course you can ask your program mentor to submit your request for graduation. Once you do that they send you a form to confirm your address and the name you want on the diploma. The review and audit process takes about a week and as soon as it is complete, and assuming you've completed the information form, you will receive confirmation that you have graduated. Their transcript partner will send you an electronic copy of your diploma within a couple of days. You receive the physical copy of your diploma in the mail about a week or two after that.

Thanks Merlin, 

This is potentially huge for me. I'm currently a TESU student. I am planning to complete all requirements for graduation by mid-Jan 2021.  Based on TESU's graduation timeline, I will miss the March deadline for graduation and it looks like I will have to wait almost 6 months to receive a diploma in June.  I'm not sure I want to or can afford to wait that long.  Thanks for this info, I definitely have to investigate WGU more to see how many credits will transfer.

Something to keep in mind with WGU....they require you to complete 30 credits with them. So only 90 credits transfer in. If you're not that far into the courses that's one thing, but if you're past the 75% completed at TESU mark, then it's probably better to finish there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • housecat
(07-06-2020, 04:47 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 04:39 PM)GizmoJack Wrote: Thanks Merlin, 

Something to keep in mind with WGU....they require you to complete 30 credits with them. So only 90 credits transfer in. If you're not that far into the courses that's one thing, but if you're past the 75% completed at TESU mark, then it's probably better to finish there.

Thanks for the note. I think I'm good on the 90 credit limit. My concerns would be how many credits WGU accepts and can I complete those 30+ credits before June 2021.  Obviously, if it's close, I will stay with the TESU plan, but if I can shave 2-6 months off of graduation, this would be of great benefit to me.
WGU MBA 2022

[-] The following 1 user Likes GizmoJack's post:
  • housecat