Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your learning style?
Visual? Audio? The answer may surprise you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhgwIhB58PA
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I also want to learn how to take good notes. I am highlighting almost everything. Do you have some advice?

Sent from my phone using DegreeForum.net mobile app
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA

Completed: WGU MS-CIA & Ms University Isabel I, ENEB
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

This Coursera course is full of advice for studying: https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn

This course is geared towards ESL students but it looks like it covers topics that could apply to anyone: https://www.coursera.org/learn/note-taking?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Imbanewbie
We took that test in 11th grade chemistry. I was kinesthetic. Worst for me is reading. Audio/visual are ok though. Some research debunks this, but it seems applicable throughout my life.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
This explains why Sophia is so great for so many! You can read, listen, or watch. So you can get use whichever works best for you for that topic. In College Algebra I watched every video and wrote out and solved every math problem. I struggle with math so this was the best way for me to learn the material. In Introduction to Statistics I didn't watch most of the videos. I read the lectures and did every problem. In that class the videos didn't help me and only confused me. So weird since they're both math, right?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
I learned years ago that the learning style theories are not based on research. Considering that I have ADHD, I learn from whatever I can pay attention to. Visual and audio lectures need to be interesting, and they're usually not. This is why I ended up avoiding Sophia and Study.com.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Vle045
(07-10-2021, 02:20 PM)sanantone Wrote: I learned years ago that the learning style theories are not based on research. Considering that I have ADHD, I learn from whatever I can pay attention to. Visual and audio lectures need to be interesting, and they're usually not. This is why I ended up avoiding Sophia and Study.com.

On Sophia you can read the course content. You don't have to watch the videos. I read most of the courses.

OnlineDegrees courses were HORRIBLE for me. I tried one, but it is all looong videos - 1 hour+. The professor was from Berkeley so I thought I'd learn something. Nope. He was monotone and boring. I gave up after 15 minutes. I could not listen to him for an hour.
  • FastTrackDegree
(07-10-2021, 02:26 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 02:20 PM)sanantone Wrote: I learned years ago that the learning style theories are not based on research. Considering that I have ADHD, I learn from whatever I can pay attention to. Visual and audio lectures need to be interesting, and they're usually not. This is why I ended up avoiding Sophia and Study.com.

On Sophia you can read the course content. You don't have to watch the videos. I read most of the courses.

OnlineDegrees courses were HORRIBLE for me. I tried one, but it is all looong videos - 1 hour+. The professor was from Berkeley so I thought I'd learn something. Nope. He was monotone and boring. I gave up after 15 minutes. I could not listen to him for an hour.

I don't like reading transcripts either because they're not designed to convey information in written form. What seems like natural language in a spoken lecture isn't so natural when reading it.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

I don’t know if I have ADHD, (never diagnosed with it - but my son has it), but I can definitely say that certain types of things just do not keep my interest.  I am really TRYING to read this information for my classes at Walden and I just can’t.  I just finally finished reading 5 pages.  I think I started to fall asleep 6-7 times.  The same was true when I had a professor who just read from his book in a monotone voice.  I could NOT stay awake in that class no matter what I tried to do.   For me, it seems like I am good with watching a (charismatic) video then following up with some sort of interactive activity (like multiple choice with immediate feedback or something).  THEN I might be able to write a paper on a related topic.  So, I am struggling and just wanting to find something that works for me.  I got ONE competency finished.  ONE.  And the term ends August 2nd.  It’s not looking good for me to finish 3.75 credits.  
Since I couldn’t stay awake on my reading, I popped over to this forum….  Bad…. I know…..  but this keeps me awake.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(07-10-2021, 02:39 PM)sanantone Wrote: I don't like reading transcripts either because they're not designed to convey information in written form. What seems like natural language in a spoken lecture isn't so natural when reading it.

Many of the Sophia classes aren't transcripts. They call it that but they're not word for word what the person says in the videos. This may not be true in all of the classes. It also depends on which person's videos you watch. Some of them are less than exciting. Some are pretty good. By the end of College Algebra I wanted Anthony to be my permanent math teacher. I couldn't stand the other instructors in that class.
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 284 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Spanish - Learning website security breach bjcheung77 1 1,102 12-24-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Johann
  TEL Learning? faptaincrunch 9 1,350 11-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: suzume
  Distance Learning Information and Conversation Discord Server ThatBankDude 5 826 06-28-2023, 08:35 PM
Last Post: xianbd
  Coursera, Udemy & LinkedIn Learning ss20ts 6 2,131 06-12-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  ACE/Sophia Learning - Student of the year 2022 winners! bjcheung77 9 1,025 05-08-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: ashkir
Question Ways to Use ChatGPT for Language Learning? LevelUP 1 532 01-24-2023, 06:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Genius Group (Amazon of Lifelong Learning) bjcheung77 0 392 10-15-2022, 07:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Learning and Accreditation Alpha 0 485 10-01-2022, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Portage Learning RoyalSpade 0 579 09-02-2022, 04:37 PM
Last Post: RoyalSpade