Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What next?
So getting a degree is all well and good, but it's hardly the be-all and end-all of education.

What are some goals that people on this forum have pursued after getting their degrees? I know a fairly popular answer seems to be "another degree", lol, but what else?

Foreign language?

Learn a new skill? Computers? Musical Instrument?

What happens to your education when your degree is done?
DSST | Astronomy - 68 | Anthropology - 73 | HTYH - 450 | Intro to Comp. - 454 | Religions - 459 | Lifespan Dev. - 419 | Counseling - 409 | Substance Abuse - 456 | Geography - 463 | Environment & Humanity - 463 | CLEP | A & I Lit - 75 | Humanities - 57 | Psych - 64 | Western Civ I - 57 | College Comp. - 65 | College Math - 61 | Ed. Psych - 65 | US History I - 68 | Soc Sci & History - 69 | Western Civ II - 53 | US History II - 61 | UExcel | College Writing - A | Social Psych - B | Abnormal Psych - B | Cultural Div. - B | Juvenile Delinquency - B | World Pop. - A | Psych of Adulthood & Aging - A | Straighterline | Intro to Philosophy - 75% | American Gov. - 89% | Macroecon | Microecon | Bus. Communication | Bus. Ethics | Cultural Anth. - 96% |

AAS in Intelligence Operations Studies - Graduated 2015!
BA in Social Sciences & Humanities from TESU - in progress

186 credits and counting...
After I finish the BSBA, I plan to take the last class to finish the Homeland Security Certificate I stared at my local CC and then work on an MS in Information Security. There may be a delay on when I can start the MS, so I may enroll in the Computer Forensics Certificate that is also offered by the local CC. Not sure what is after the MS. Maybe a DSc, MBA, personal interest BA, or maybe i'm done higher ed and move to more of a CPE / personal development route. I will always be studying something.

For the next couple of years, I plan to complete one mid or high level security certification a year. The one for next year is the CISSP.

Personal health is another important goal for the immediate future and along with that earning my black belt in karate.

I want to learn german to a conversational level, so i can take the trip to Germany I have been planning most of my life.

I want to take the kids to Disney before my son is to old.

Whatever I need to do to have happy and healthy kids.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

Some people are content and stop there education wise and concentrate on their new promotion/job hunt Smile. Others seek out certificates or use the time for professional growth.

I'm seeking an MBA and probably an additional certificate. Not sure yet on the cert. I also contemplated adding a CS/or Engineering degree to use up the remainder of the GI Bill.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
MBA, still considering a focused grad cert in finance or specific to health care management ( I'd enroll in the Johns Hopkins program tomorrow if I had the money).

My employer encourages some specific training that I'm working on, just started fooling around with Lean and 6 sigma also.

The degrees, for me, are just jumping off points/quilifiers.....never stop learning! Smile
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
My husband's goal is that I will get a job! :roflol:
TESU BSBA General Mgmt 6/10/16 Wink
TESU: TECEP Public Relations Thought & Practice - 82
Penn Foster: Financial Mgmt 94, International Business 97, Strategic Mgmt 98, Corporate Finance 99, Consumer Behavior 95, Human Resource Mgmt 99
Saylor: Business Law & Ethics 82, Corporate Communication 76, Principles of Marketing 72
Sophia: Intro to Sociology 90, Conflict Resolution 87, Project Mgmt 88
Straighterline: Principles of Mgmt 94, Organizational Behavior 88, American Government 92
The Institutes: Ethics and the CPU Code of Professional Conduct (free 2 CR)

COSC - Associate of Science Honors General Studies 2014
COSC - Cornerstone - A
Straighterline: Into to Religions A, Business Ethics B, West. Civ. I B, Intro to Env. Science B
CLEP: A&I Literature - 69
ajs1976 Wrote:I want to learn german to a conversational level, so i can take the trip to Germany I have been planning most of my life.

We just recently returned to the U.S. after living in Germany for over 4 years. I know very little Deutsch. The entire country learns English in school as a second language and it is widely spoken. Even if you did learn, they would probably pick up your accent and immediately switch to speaking with you in English anyway.

If you are delaying your trip solely because of language, don't because you can still fully immerse yourself in the culture just know very rudimentary German (numbers, and simple phrases).

PS- Germany is awesome in the Spring! The summers are cool, but they don't have air conditioning so it can get uncomfortable indoors.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
I have this self-imposed balance thing I do, where I like to balance out the categories on my resume, and I like to have strong things in each area- so for me I like to keep my distributions between work and education pretty evenly well rounded. Even in years where I didn't earn college credit I have always- since about age 18- added continuing ed/workshops/etc. every year. So, if I'm focusing on an academic credential for a year or two, I like to follow that up with work experiences (working for myself or someone else for pay). I also don't like my fluffy areas to get "old" meaning no more than a year or two to pass between dates on volunteer projects, writing, media, volunteer, etc. Furthermore, since I consider myself a chef and an educator, I also make sure I'm staying current in both of those categories.

If that's not what you meant, I'm a pretty avid gardener, which I study as well.
Prloko Wrote:PS- Germany is awesome in the Spring! The summers are cool, but they don't have air conditioning so it can get uncomfortable indoors.

Ja, aber das Bier ist immer ausgezeichnet! (Yes, but the beer is always outstanding!) Smile

Me? I'm lucky - in my 70s, long-retired, I have time for anything I want. Right now, the newest things I'm working on are learning Polish and electronics.

Chciałbyś kupić radio ? (Would you like to buy a radio?) Smile

So far, I've built a couple of radios and I fool around with single-board computers, e.g. Beaglebone and Raspberry Pi. I hope to earn a Ham license later this year. Things I've liked doing for a long time are gardening and photography. I take plenty of pictures - all digital these days and I took a gardening course about a year ago, simply because I miss gardening. I'll have a garden again sooner or later; meanwhile I'm raising some greenery indoors that will have a place in the sun in my next garden.

One of my favourite realizations is that I will never, EVER have to write a resume again!

J.
"Education is not preparation for life: educations is life itself." John Dewey

A friend of a friend kindly took apart a snow blower and repaired it for me. It caused me this weekend to realize that my knowledge is severely limited. I don't have practical knowledge, but that it is something I want to obtain. While there is no way I could do anything mechanical, I could figure out how to bake bread, or hem a skirt. Then I'd like to learn another language. Maybe become an "expert" on some topic (and bore folks mindless at cocktail parties!) Yet another wonderful aspect of this forum is that it has helped me to realize that not all education comes in a classroom, and it doesn't have to be externally directed.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker