Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's more telling? School or Degree Program....From the other forum
Caught this over on the "other forum" and figured I would share it here https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grad...our-major/

Essentially the piece tries to address what matters most the school you go to or the degree you pursued. Not surprisingly, there are a bunch of pretty well known colleges at the top of the list. Top 20 seem to be a mix of the elites with a heavy dose of schools that focus on specific in demand vocational fields like maritime academies and STEM (Engineering really) schools.

Steve Foerester pointed out that they left out the individual, the person's independent drive and ability to network....certainly true and deserving of consideration.

The piece also pointed out that those with Masters fared better overall than those with Bachelors alone.

Just food for thought/discussion.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:Aught this over on the "other forum" and figured I would share it here https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grad...our-major/

Essentially the piece tries to address what matters most the school you go to or the degree you pursued. Not surprisingly, there are a bunch of pretty well known colleges at the top of the list. Top 20 seem to be a mix of the elites with a heavy dose of schools that focus on specific in demand vocational fields like maritime academies and STEM (Engineering really) schools.

Steve Foerester pointed out that they left out the individual, the person's independent drive and ability to network....certainly true and deserving of consideration.

The piece also pointed out that those with Masters fared better overall than those with Bachelors alone.

Just food for thought/discussion.

They did find out that major had somewhat of an impact and so did experience. The top schools also had a lot of people who went on to graduate school, so that is why they had higher salaries. They did mention that individual factors, such as SAT/ACT scores, could have an effect, but they needed more data.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I think some of this might be an attribution error. Part of the reason people from top tier schools make more money than the average is because they're the sort of people who go to top tier schools - i.e. exceptionally academically qualified, well connected, more affluent than average, etc. The reason they do better is the reason they got into a school like Harvard in the first place - they don't do better because they attended, they were already likely to do better before they even got in.

People like to talk about how attending the Ivies is a networking opportunity - but why? College students can network with other college students at any college, right? Part of what makes the Ivies different is where the students come from - their families, friends, colleagues, etc. The average Ivy league student already has a better network than most Americans before they ever go. The caliber of the students themselves matters also, of course, but it's hardly the only factor.

Honestly, even what you major in isn't all that predictive of your future. Sure, if you get highly qualified in a up and coming technical field, and then you're a go-getter in your career, then that'll matter. But someone with the fanciest degree in the world will fall on their butt if they don't know how to work, and someone with no degree at all can go out and kill it. If anything, some of the people who have dropped out of the Ivies are perfect examples of my earlier point. Elon Musk (Stanford), Bill Gates (Harvard), etc. got into those schools because of the kinds of people they were - and they succeeded beyond all reason without even graduating.

People keep wanting to hold up a university education as a pat answer to everything. "Just go here, and do this, and everything will work out for you." Life's just not that simple.
DSST | Astronomy - 68 | Anthropology - 73 | HTYH - 450 | Intro to Comp. - 454 | Religions - 459 | Lifespan Dev. - 419 | Counseling - 409 | Substance Abuse - 456 | Geography - 463 | Environment & Humanity - 463 | CLEP | A & I Lit - 75 | Humanities - 57 | Psych - 64 | Western Civ I - 57 | College Comp. - 65 | College Math - 61 | Ed. Psych - 65 | US History I - 68 | Soc Sci & History - 69 | Western Civ II - 53 | US History II - 61 | UExcel | College Writing - A | Social Psych - B | Abnormal Psych - B | Cultural Div. - B | Juvenile Delinquency - B | World Pop. - A | Psych of Adulthood & Aging - A | Straighterline | Intro to Philosophy - 75% | American Gov. - 89% | Macroecon | Microecon | Bus. Communication | Bus. Ethics | Cultural Anth. - 96% |

AAS in Intelligence Operations Studies - Graduated 2015!
BA in Social Sciences & Humanities from TESU - in progress

186 credits and counting...
I don't know if this makes an off topic more off topic....

One of my primary concerns was the name of the school. Now, in my culture, there are certain name brands, and you can be snubbed if you don't ascribe to them.

For instance, ITT Tech doesn't have a good reputation around here, compared, to, oh, say, the University of Tennessee.

I thought there was validity to determining the value of an education by the facility. Now I am beginning to see that there are different paths to the same result. But, I wonder if articles like the one mentioned (didn't read) doesn't enforce these kinds of stereotypes, even though in some cases a stereotype can be somewhat rooted in the truth?

Definitely food for thought.

High Order
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

I suspect UT trump's ITT just about everywhere. Smile
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Just about ANY school is better than ITT Tech. Our local CC is better than ITT, and I can't imagine a 4-year school that wasn't better.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Everest and Westwood are competitors for the worst, accredited schools, but Everest was sold and Westwood is shutting down. University of Phoenix has the worst reputation for a regionally accredited school (some Everest locations were RA though). Devry is close behind.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
dfrecore Wrote:Just about ANY school is better than ITT Tech. Our local CC is better than ITT, and I can't imagine a 4-year school that wasn't better.
I don't think there is anything you and I don't agree on more than this mutual disdain for the "bad" for profits.
AS in EMS August 2010

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signature in the Forum hsufeng 7 852 2 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  I missed this forum 2L8 1 1,046 03-07-2024, 08:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 302 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,284 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 578 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 508 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,583 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,752 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Program to educate incarcerated people costs 40K per graduate?! studyingfortests 25 1,765 05-11-2022, 06:29 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 538 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger