Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your opinion on MicroMasters programs?
cookderosa Wrote:yes, you're correct. In some cases, like MIT, you still have to take the GMAT and have letters, etc.

No GMAT is needed if you take this path to MIT's supply chain program
Finished: BA Liberal Studies TESU 2016

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." - Earl Nightingale
Peter123456789 Wrote:No GMAT is needed if you take this path to MIT's supply chain program

I'm curious about this. When I first read the press on this, it was a direct entry - pass the tests and gain entry, but when I researched it through the edx link that's now up and running, it's showing some admissions requirements like GMAT. I'm confused about what is ultimately required for admission.
cookderosa Wrote:I'm curious about this. When I first read the press on this, it was a direct entry - pass the tests and gain entry, but when I researched it through the edx link that's now up and running, it's showing some admissions requirements like GMAT. I'm confused about what is ultimately required for admission.

That's my primary concern. If it were direct admission, I'd fully support it (even with the crazy high tuition), but my understanding is each school sets their own admission criteria. MIT decided that they will waive the GRE/GMAT for this program, but all other criteria stands. Some schools are even less definitive, with the worst not even saying exactly how many credits you receive for the MM portion of the coursework. I think grouping these credentials together is misleading, because each seem to function completely different from the other. I'm not sure how possible it would have been, but it would be nice if edx would have set some base criteria: ie: a MM is X courses/credits, that guarantee admission, or grant a certificate if passed. Instead they let each school decide what the credential is, and how it works.

MIT includes a review of your coursework in the micro masters, but have indicated a pass is not enough. On the FAQ, "What are my chances of being admitted question?" they respond

"This is a good question that we do not have a great answer for, since this is a new program. But, obviously, doing better in the online courses will increase your chances of gaining admittance to MIT. However, we should stress that simply having high grades will not guarantee admission – we look at all aspects of an applicant to include SCx scores, writing capability, etc."

I wish they would have modeled this more like the Harvard extension model. From what I've seen, that is the model I think would function best for these new micromaster type programs. Why would you need a test score, etc when a student has proven they can handle the work? I can't come up with an answer other than it makes the process more selective, which speaks more to elitism than to academic ability.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
mednat Wrote:That's my primary concern. If it were direct admission, I'd fully support it (even with the crazy high tuition), but my understanding is each school sets their own admission criteria. MIT decided that they will waive the GRE/GMAT for this program, but all other criteria stands. Some schools are even less definitive, with the worst not even saying exactly how many credits you receive for the MM portion of the coursework. I think grouping these credentials together is misleading, because each seem to function completely different from the other. I'm not sure how possible it would have been, but it would be nice if edx would have set some base criteria: ie: a MM is X courses/credits, that guarantee admission, or grant a certificate if passed. Instead they let each school decide what the credential is, and how it works.

MIT includes a review of your coursework in the micro masters, but have indicated a pass is not enough. On the FAQ, "What are my chances of being admitted question?" they respond

"This is a good question that we do not have a great answer for, since this is a new program. But, obviously, doing better in the online courses will increase your chances of gaining admittance to MIT. However, we should stress that simply having high grades will not guarantee admission – we look at all aspects of an applicant to include SCx scores, writing capability, etc."

I wish they would have modeled this more like the Harvard extension model. From what I've seen, that is the model I think would function best for these new micromaster type programs. Why would you need a test score, etc when a student has proven they can handle the work? I can't come up with an answer other than it makes the process more selective, which speaks more to elitism than to academic ability.

I think it's a case of them just figuring it out as they go as opposed to being difficult. Those questions are all filters we would use when picking a program, but I think the Average Joe Public doesn't do all the "if-then" investigation before enrolling. I think since it's new, it's a matter of them responding as these questions come up instead of being preemptive.
cookderosa Wrote:I think it's a case of them just figuring it out as they go as opposed to being difficult. Those questions are all filters we would use when picking a program, but I think the Average Joe Public doesn't do all the "if-then" investigation before enrolling. I think since it's new, it's a matter of them responding as these questions come up instead of being preemptive.
Besides so many of the answers depend on how many people apply to the program. They probably can't simply take all comers.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I think they are interesting and bridge to a new future of education. I do like that they are credit back and is some cases can account for about a 1/3 of masters. However, like all education the big question is how do employers view these certs. At worse they won't hurt. At best they provide a fiscally safe way to test waters for a new career or to see if you even like the material. The supply chain mgmt from MIT and the project mgmt from RIT in partnership with Edx seems interesting. I hope the trend to find affordable ways to make education affordable continues so I support it.
It looks like University of Maryland University College might beat RIT for having the best deal. I was looking at the latest MicroMasters programs added to edX, and UMUC had the cheapest one at $747. You'll earn 12 credits toward their 36-credit Master of Biotechnology with a concentration in Bioinformatics. The program is available entirely online. Since UMUC is not a competitive school, you don't have to worry about getting in as long as you meet the minimum requirements.

https://www.edx.org/micromasters/bioinformatics
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:It looks like University of Maryland University College might beat RIT for having the best deal. I was looking at the latest MicroMasters programs added to edX, and UMUC had the cheapest one at $747. You'll earn 12 credits toward their 36-credit Master of Biotechnology with a concentration in Bioinformatics. The program is available entirely online. Since UMUC is not a competitive school, you don't have to worry about getting in as long as you meet the minimum requirements.

https://www.edx.org/micromasters/bioinformatics

It's a start, but the rest are just missing an opportunity IMHO
Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
45cr down
I think MM's are a great idea. Essentially Grad Certificates. But... Very few of the ones in current practice are of actual interest to most people.
Except, graduate certificates consist of portable college credits directly from accredited schools. A micromaster can be converted into credits in one school's master's program if you're accepted, but they don't have any academic utility beyond that. They're just edX certificates that aren't covered under a school's accreditation until converted. It remains to be seen if a micromaster will be treated the same as a graduate certificate by employers. I can predict that the name will throw employers off similar to the way a nanodegree would.

Maybe most of the the micromasters programs won't be of interest to most people, but that's because most people get generic degrees in oversaturated fields. The micromasters programs are designed to teach in-demand skills, for the most part.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 28 18,203 2 hours ago
Last Post: Dawgenstein
  New Data Analytics Programs ss20ts 12 612 04-19-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: allvia
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 502 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  Open University Malaysia has PhD programs below 10k USD nyvrem 2 440 02-19-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: armado
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 625 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Missouri University now has 100% online master's programs LevelUP 9 1,682 11-05-2023, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Masters-level CBE programs EverSpinning 5 1,491 10-11-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Any Master programs similar to UMPI? Ebroady23 6 1,384 10-04-2023, 04:25 PM
Last Post: xspect
  Completion programs for Business Heartstrings 4 481 10-02-2023, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Heartstrings
  Competency-Based MBA Programs without proctored tests klone 4 889 09-01-2023, 11:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77