Mixture of all three
33.33%
12 33.33%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What type of learner are you?
I'm a combo of auditory and hands on. When I read books, it really doesn't stick very well.
I'm a hardcore visual learner who would rather not listen to anyone (auditory) or put my hands on anything (kinesthetic). I like to read, take notes, create outlines, and so forth.
• Master of Science in Nursing - Eastern New Mexico University (in progress)
• Bachelor of Science in Nursing - Western Governors University (3/2015)
• Associate of Science in Nursing - Platt College (3/2010)
• Diploma of Vocational Nursing - Casa Loma College (10/2005)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Professional licensure: LPN/LVN (1/2006); RN (5/2010)
• 16 brick & mortar credits from Oxnard College (2000 to 2001)
• 38 brick & mortar credits from Tarrant County College (2006 to 2008)
I think it depends on the subject. I know that you cannot learn math or computer programming without a lot of practice. Reading books, listening to teachers and taking notes will give you a general idea of what is needed but then you must immediately appliance you learned. The mechanics need to be practiced and need to become reflexive. This frees up your brain for creative problem solving.

For history topics I have to combine reading with another source like a movie. Drilling in it via quizzes and flashcards immediately following what i just read is a great way to reinforce the knowledge.

Let hammer all three the next time we study a topic and see how we make out.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:Let hammer all three the next time we study a topic and see how we make out.

I'd say that the DSST Principles of Statistics was the only exam I used all three in pretty equal measure. I watched the Standard Deviant videos, used IC flashcards, and supplemented all of that with some books that had and of course my studious notes.

Like ryoder said, we could all try to using all three (pretty equally) in prep for an exam. I need to take SS&H CLEP. You think that would be good one to try it on? For anyone that would like to try it just let me know.
BSBA in Finance from TESC by fall 2011
Total: 147 credits
I am a visual learner. I learn by reading and love charts, graphs, and maps. I have not used any auditory methods yet during college. No videos, lectures, spoken explanation, classroom instruction, etc.
[SIZE="1"]BSBA in Accounting at TESC - Done! :hurray:
Started June 2009 with zero credits, now have 133!

CLEP:
English Literature - 67, Chemistry - 60, Microeconomics - 69, Macroeconomics - 77, U.S. History I - 68, U.S. History II - 64, American Government - 64, Humanities - 68, College Algebra - 64, English Composition - 56, Financial Accounting - 80 Smile, Principles of Management - 74, Intro. Business Law - 73, Principles of Marketing - 79, Info. Systems & Computer Applications - 77

DSST:
Introduction to Business - 446, Human/Cultural Geography - 69, Personal Finance - 463, Principles of Supervision - 443, Organizational Behavior - 76, Human Resource Management - 77, Business Ethics and Society - 468, Principles of Finance - 471, Management Information Systems - 447, Money and Banking - 73

TECEP:
Financial Institutions and Markets, Federal Income Taxation, Strategic Management

Straighterline Course:
Business Communication
[/SIZE]
Maniac Craniac Wrote:When it comes to memorizing information in a textbook, I tend to look at things in categories and place things within them, or, think about new items of information radially, like a mind map or a concept map, but in my head, and instead of individual facts, I can often recall the layout of the page and where the information is kept.

I have this same learning style. I've taken assessments on this back in high school and im nearly 50/50 visual and auditory.

I mostly read rapidly and conceptualize the material, but if i am really interested in a topic or if i focus closely (even if its memorizing straight facts) its locked in, permanently. Also once I get into a topic I will learn it a mile deep and consume every peice of material I can find until I have a solid factual and conceptual base, then I get bored and move on to the next topic.

I don't have the same memory like they recently showed on 60 minutes where people (marilu henner was one) can recall exact dates or be told a date and they can remember what they ate etc, but I can remember nearly everything since I was two.

One of my struggles is lots of folks just don't think one person can master so many subjects or recall things they thought were meaningless in school... take your pick algebra, trig, c++, pascal, biology, plate tectonics, drywall, laying tile... LOL. the whole jack of all trades master of none isn't always reality. I usually have to tone it down until people get to know me.

I love the distance degree program because I can either backfill the theory and vocabulary on what I already know and take an exam, or learn new topics at 1000mph, I absolutely love it!! CLEP and DSST forever!!
bkahuna Wrote:I don't have the same memory like they recently showed on 60 minutes where people (marilu henner was one) can recall exact dates or be told a date and they can remember what they ate etc, but I can remember nearly everything since I was two.

WOW! That's really impressive and gives you such a leg up on some of the tests! I can't even remember stuff from when I was in elementary school lol.

bkahuna Wrote:I love the distance degree program because I can either backfill the theory and vocabulary on what I already know and take an exam, or learn new topics at 1000mph, I absolutely love it!! CLEP and DSST forever!!

I totally agree. I used to love to read different non-fiction topics to learn about new things. I feel like studying for CLEP/DSST is basically the same thing, only you get college credit for it!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
I voted Kinesthetic Learner because I learn the very best by just being thrown in there and actually doing something. However, I am kind of a mix of that and auditory.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your favorite type of dessert? CollegeStudent7 40 5,125 05-03-2011, 02:47 AM
Last Post: jmichelle79