Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you work on first?
So, I have someone message me on the other sister board asking this from a recent high school graduate:
What would you work on first?  They seem like they want to work on everything but not at once...
Note: This individual barely passed their grades in High School, majority of their classes are just squeaking past 50% (C-)
Furthermore, they have no idea where they want to be.  They want to be able to get into a Graduate program though.

1) Upgrading your abysmal high school classes (mainly English, Math and Sciences), all of them a C or C- level
2) Go to a community college to work on some basic "trades" classes and hope to get into a well paying "trade"
3) Go to a community college to get an AAS in something of their interest or a specific prep for any profession
4) Work on getting alternative credits to get a Bachelors of something such as a BALS or BSLS at the Big 3.
5) Work on online certificates such as those from Coursera/Udacity, etc or courses to get into the IT industry
6) Find a job in IT (help desk or something easy) to get experience and then work their way up in Info Tech
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Once you graduate, high school is over. You can't redo those classes. I would go to a community college and take the basic gen ed courses with a plan to transfer to a 4 year school. I'd try to get an AA or AS out of it at least. Or an AAS if there was a field I was interested in, but I'd still get those gen eds because you'll need them later.

College is nothing like high school. I didn't care at all about high school. I was not someone who was prepared for the difference in high school and college. I grew up in a really small town where I knew every single person I graduated with since 2nd grade or earlier. We all literally grew up together so losing everyone was hard. Go off to a big city (even though it wasn't a huge city) it was still a HUGE culture shock and I didn't know a single person.

College courses move much faster so if you aren't thrilled with a topic, you're done with it in a week or less. In high school, you may spend several weeks on that topic.

If the person doesn't know what they want to do, the working on IT may not be a wise idea. If they are interested in it, then maybe take a Coursera or Udemy class. I'd only get a Udemy class if it was on sale though. I definitely wouldn't pay for Udacity. Save that kind of money for courses that give college credit.

There's a big world out there. For some folks, it takes longer to find themselves. There's nothing wrong with that!
[-] The following 4 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • jch, Pikachu, TINASAM, TwinMom
I'd lean towards suggesting that person work two jobs (at least one of them involving sales or working for themselves), and not put much money into schooling.

Maybe their education should come from work and reading, and not institutional ed.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
(03-22-2021, 08:28 PM)StoicJ Wrote: I'd lean towards suggesting that person work two jobs (at least one of them involving sales or working for themselves), and not put much money into schooling.

Maybe their education should come from work and reading, and not institutional ed.

I agree with this.  Maybe the person figures out they want to pursue a trade or something that doesn’t require college, maybe they end up starting a business where education isn’t required. Maybe they work 60 hours/week at minimum wage for 6, 12, 18 months and realize that busting your hump and barely getting by is no fun. If they decide to pursue higher education, they probably would take it a lot more seriously and do better. 

It’s really easy to say “I’m done with high school and I will take college more seriously” but talk is cheap. I didn’t take college all that seriously at first and it took many years and some good luck to make up for those shortcomings. 

Get a job or two, join the military, become an AmeriCorps Vista for a year or two. For a person who a) doesn’t know what they want to do and b) doesn’t have a great track record, college seems a waste.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 1 user Likes freeloader's post:
  • Vle045
I wouldn't suggest spending a dime on school if you're already not a good student. Instead, I'd suggest working A LOT at 2+ jobs, and figure out what you do and don't like.

I'd not suggest something like IT, unless the person has expressed an interest. If they had, I'd do free/cheap learning there. No need to spend a lot of money before knowing if you actually liked it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jch
One other thought, perhaps a bit of a dissent from my “real” opinion: if the person is posting on the sister board or reaching out to people on that board, it is probably because that person wants to pursue higher education. If I were that person at 17-19 years of age, just out of high school and bunch of people were telling me “don’t go to college, work for a while” I probably would have dismissed them out of hand. Most of the people on this board have insights borne of our experiences, but it’s hard to convince people, especially 18 year olds who think they know everything...

That in mind, If the person is REALY determined to be pursuing higher education, I would try to point that person to some non-credit certs, something like Sophia or Study.com, or even a microbachelors program, something that isn’t a huge financial commitment and doesn’t have a GPA attached. One or two semesters of sub-2.0 GPA can have ramifications for the rest of that person’s life, same thing for a big fat student loan for even that short of a period in college.

Very good chance that person is likely facing peer-pressure to go to college or is judging him or herself (whether consciously or subconsciously) for their decision to delay or not pursue a conventional college education. Working 2 jobs isn’t going to do anything to alter that but being able to say “I am taking online college courses through Sophia” or “I am doing a microbachelors with XYZ university” might!
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
Surprisingly (to me) I'm having a bit of a hardcore reaction to this question.  My first thought was "College is not for everyone."  Maybe this person should go get a job somewhere, focus on good job performance, good attendance, get a raise or two and THEN, if they can put together a decent plan, give college a shot.  Their lack of high school success indicates a low probability of college success.  Is it possible?  Of course, but it would seem more likely if they had any idea at all of what their subject interests were.  The idea that everyone has to go to college is a big setup for lots of people.  But if they're going to insist on attending a CC then I'd suggest the 1) take an aptitude test.  or several.  2) talk to the school counselor about the situation.  3) take a set of courses designed to test out your interests/abilities and plan on getting an Associates in Somethingorother.
College is not for everyone. But, if they want to at least TRY to go to college, I would say that ONU and ASU classes would be the way to go! Very low or no buy-in costs. They can discover if college/university is right for them and maybe get some credits that they can, at least, use towards a BOG degree. Some people do terrible in HS and then thrive in college/university. The only way to know for certain is to actually try.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jch, Vle045, Zardoz
If they really want to try the college thing, I'd say drop one of the two jobs, and go to a community college for a semester. Maybe a 1st semester of 2 courses (6 credits), and also try an alt credit course or two. In my area, that could run as little as $600 plus books. Pell has that covered, and then some (it still covers part-time, right?).

Generally, I'd say butt-in-seat would be best, but I'd also make it real clear to them that if they find campus politics to be too distasteful, or if they don't like it for whatever reason(s), they can switch to another school or avoid campuses and earn credits by other means.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
(03-23-2021, 11:46 AM)rachel83az Wrote: College is not for everyone. But, if they want to at least TRY to go to college, I would say that ONU and ASU classes would be the way to go! Very low or no buy-in costs. They can discover if college/university is right for them and maybe get some credits that they can, at least, use towards a BOG degree. Some people do terrible in HS and then thrive in college/university. The only way to know for certain is to actually try.

My kids both struggle with the self-paced courses, so I might try something that isn't self-paced (so ASU courses that are not self-paced).  But ASU is a bit pricy for me, not sure if this student has someone helping to pay for his courses?  If not, I might try something cheaper.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Digital Nomad - Remote work in various countries bjcheung77 14 1,382 09-29-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: impasta
  Finlandia University - Plan didn't work...failed to save itself! bjcheung77 6 864 05-19-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  IU & LSBU Dual Degree (FREE iPad & No extra work required) bjcheung77 13 3,924 08-11-2021, 01:48 PM
Last Post: msa145
  COVID-related volunteer work could provide college credit jch 0 661 01-13-2021, 01:09 PM
Last Post: jch
Question From Social Work to Programming? louise 7 1,614 11-15-2019, 07:05 PM
Last Post: louise
Question Social Work, Sociology, or Anthropology Degree? LadySearchDog 5 1,615 08-14-2019, 02:35 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Capstone(s)... What are they and how do they work??? Idreamofadegree 10 2,746 07-16-2019, 10:35 PM
Last Post: Idreamofadegree
  Bachelors in Social Work? onmygo 3 1,378 03-08-2018, 05:42 PM
Last Post: onmygo
  College Credits for Work only rn2bsn 2 1,474 09-13-2017, 11:36 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  2nd bachelor degree -- how does it work? a2jc4life 12 2,870 04-28-2017, 03:41 PM
Last Post: jsd