Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you work on first?
(03-23-2021, 01:03 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-23-2021, 11:46 AM)rachel83az Wrote: College is not for everyone. But, if they want to at least TRY to go to college, I would say that ONU and ASU classes would be the way to go! Very low or no buy-in costs. They can discover if college/university is right for them and maybe get some credits that they can, at least, use towards a BOG degree. Some people do terrible in HS and then thrive in college/university. The only way to know for certain is to actually try.

My kids both struggle with the self-paced courses, so I might try something that isn't self-paced (so ASU courses that are not self-paced).  But ASU is a bit pricy for me, not sure if this student has someone helping to pay for his courses?  If not, I might try something cheaper.

I definitely wouldn't suggest taking all classes at ASU. But 1 or 2 classes for $25 buy-in each? That'd be a relatively inexpensive way to figure out if college is right for you. Some kids do poorly in HS because of the social pressure and other factors that are external to the actual learning experience. Then they get to college and these things are gone, so they do much better.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
join the Coast Guard -- hopefully get assigned to DAMAGE CONTROLMAN https://www.gocoastguard.com/active-duty...iptions/dc
after the Coast Guard try to get one of those Related Civilian Jobs by joining a union or merchant marines or by doing a civil service exam
Welder
Plumber
Carpenter
Pipe Fitter
Ship Fitter
Firefighter
Home Inspector
Building Inspector
Trade School Teacher
Construction Foreman
Maintenance Supervisor

alternatively, instead of getting a job maybe do an Associates degree after (or during) the Coast Guard and then get a job

Technical Management
https://www.apu.apus.edu/academic/school...ement.html

Fire Science
https://www.apu.apus.edu/academic/school...ience.html

then do a Bachelors and get a job working for the Federal Government

Emergency and Disaster Management

Environmental Science
https://www.apu.apus.edu/academic/school...ience.html

Government Contracting and Acquisition
https://www.apu.apus.edu/academic/school...ition.html

Fire Science Management

Homeland Security
https://www.apu.apus.edu/academic/school...urity.html
"I barely passed high school, what should I do now?"

This question has many answers. Get a job seems like a reasonable one. School requires motivation and drive. It took me 4 tries to graduate because I didn't have the motivation. Working the type of job you can get with a high school diploma and a low GPA might provide some motivation to do something better. It might also demonstrate that there are jobs that don't require a degree that you might enjoy.

I agree with Rachel that trying an ASU course for $25 at some point would be worth it. Maybe it was something besides the academics that caused the bad grades in high school and a different environment will foster success. It is true that college isn't for everyone. There are many good trades with apprenticeship programs and many big companies (Amazon, Walmart) seek to develop talent from within and provide advancement opportunities for people with drive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tallpilot's post:
  • rachel83az
(03-23-2021, 01:15 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(03-23-2021, 11:46 AM)rachel83az Wrote: College is not for everyone. But, if they want to at least TRY to go to college, I would say that ONU and ASU classes would be the way to go! Very low or no buy-in costs. They can discover if college/university is right for them and maybe get some credits that they can, at least, use towards a BOG degree. Some people do terrible in HS and then thrive in college/university. The only way to know for certain is to actually try.

My kids both struggle with the self-paced courses, so I might try something that isn't self-paced (so ASU courses that are not self-paced).  But ASU is a bit pricy for me, not sure if this student has someone helping to pay for his courses?  If not, I might try something cheaper.

I definitely wouldn't suggest taking all classes at ASU. But 1 or 2 classes for $25 buy-in each? That'd be a relatively inexpensive way to figure out if college is right for you. Some kids do poorly in HS because of the social pressure and other factors that are external to the actual learning experience. Then they get to college and these things are gone, so they do much better.

Sure, it's $25 to buy in, but then $400 later - so an expensive proposition for some people.  I'm just saying if you have cheaper options, it's a better bet.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
FYI, you have an entire year from when you get your final grade to decide if you want to add a course to your ASU transcript. This provides a number of outcomes:

1.) You don't pass the course. You decide academics aren't for you. You get a trade or do one of the many other options from this thread. Out of pocket cost: $25
2.) You don't pass the course. You liked it but you realize you still need more work to get to college level. Head to Khan Academy/Coursera/edX/etc. to learn more before trying again. Out of pocket cost: $25.
3.) You pass the course. But you're not sure about paying another $400 for the transcription fee. Head over to TEL/ONU/CLEP and use your new knowledge to get credit that way. Out of pocket cost: $25+
4.) You pass the course. You don't have the money now but you decide to set aside $100 a month and pay for it later. Out of pocket cost: $425
5.) You pass the course. You have the money. Out of pocket cost: $425

The above scenarios also completely ignore that you can audit a course for free as many times as you want. So you don't even have to pay any money to ASU if you don't want to.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jch, Pikachu
(03-23-2021, 01:15 PM)rachel83az Wrote:

This was me. Despite having strong study skills, high school went very poorly for me. Even though they put in tremendous efforts, the staff could not find a learning system that worked for my disabilities, health problems, and learning characteristics. Social pressures and the endless boring classes also got to me. In the end, I was pushed out the door with passes recorded for the minimum necessary credits.

While relieved to done with high school, I also felt that my higher education opportunities were gone. I had banked on leveraging my academic abilities to earn lots of AP credits and jump to a more academically interesting college experience. How would I ever get in to MIT with my high school transcript? I looked into the local technical college a few times, but felt that their offerings weren't really for me. For several years, I lacked any real motivation or future path.

Then covid emerged in 2020. Although my aversion to education was strong, my desire to capitalize on a deal was stronger. When I heard about the discounts at ASU and Sophia, I jumped on them. Even though I was very unsure of my academic potential, $0 to start and zero risk was too good of an offer to refuse. Quickly, I surprised myself at how much I could actually accomplish. ASU EA/ULC and Sophia seemed like perfect fits for me. In the span of eight months, I knocked out 100 credits.

Once I actually gave college a try and found the right system, I excelled. I found that college is an entirely different world than what I experienced in high school. There are numerous instructors and delivery options to choose from in most subjects. Even though some subjects are boring, I know that they'll be done in just a few weeks. When there's a topic I already know, I can go straight to an exam or breeze through a self-paced course instead of laboring through a long class. I wish that someone had told me about all of this a long time ago!

I completely agree with Rachel, the only way to know what works is to TRY. Many of the available options are cheap to start with. I'd strongly advise anyone looking for direction to just start experimenting. Look at ASU ULC, modern states CLEP, Sophia, etc. Find what works, then build a degree plan around that. If these courses don't go well, then they can simply be dropped without significant costs or consequences.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 2 users Like jch's post:
  • Pikachu, rachel83az
Thanks everyone for the responses, I love getting these very interesting and helpful options that were provided.  I was thinking pretty much along the same lines as this:  Since it may be a catch-22 type of situation, I think it's best to get started on a few things 1) Certs  2) Degree 3) Experience.  I won't necessarily tell them to get a job, but may want them to get experience by volunteering first and moving into a part time one.

There are many programs available to youth and adults under 24 years of age, I am recommending them to try out for the following programs that can jump start them in any direction they choose to go later:  A) https://www.yearup.org/ and B) https://perscholas.org/ C) Take some cheap/free online alternative credit courses from ACE/NCCRS providers to see how they like the platform.  Such as the freebies at Kenzie Academy (it's like the Intro to Web Development by Sophia.org course, HTML/CSS/Javascript, etc).

Speaking of Kenzie Academy, the freebie is a very short intro: https://www.kenzie.academy/admissions/learn-to-code/ And it seems SNHU acquired them as per the March 9, 2021 blog update here:  https://www.kenzie.academy/blog/snhu-acq...edentials/ , I think this would go along well with Khan Academy, ModernStates, etc... These should be great starting points to get the ball rolling for them!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • inoele, Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Digital Nomad - Remote work in various countries bjcheung77 14 1,313 09-29-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: impasta
  Finlandia University - Plan didn't work...failed to save itself! bjcheung77 6 833 05-19-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  IU & LSBU Dual Degree (FREE iPad & No extra work required) bjcheung77 13 3,840 08-11-2021, 01:48 PM
Last Post: msa145
  COVID-related volunteer work could provide college credit jch 0 642 01-13-2021, 01:09 PM
Last Post: jch
Question From Social Work to Programming? louise 7 1,600 11-15-2019, 07:05 PM
Last Post: louise
Question Social Work, Sociology, or Anthropology Degree? LadySearchDog 5 1,576 08-14-2019, 02:35 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Capstone(s)... What are they and how do they work??? Idreamofadegree 10 2,703 07-16-2019, 10:35 PM
Last Post: Idreamofadegree
  Bachelors in Social Work? onmygo 3 1,350 03-08-2018, 05:42 PM
Last Post: onmygo
  College Credits for Work only rn2bsn 2 1,458 09-13-2017, 11:36 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  2nd bachelor degree -- how does it work? a2jc4life 12 2,851 04-28-2017, 03:41 PM
Last Post: jsd